The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

High & Low was #41 on the MoFo Top 100 Foreign Films and #23 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1960s. The Usual Suspects was #20 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1990s.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

My rating of The Usual Suspects has wavered a bit over the years but it's still a good film. I did once meet Stephen Baldwin at a Starbucks in Vancouver years ago and after talking for a bit I offered to smoke a joint with him. This was back when I still smoked weed in my early twenties. "Nah man thanks though I appreciate it." "Are you sure? You were in The Usual Suspects I'll just give you a joint!" Smiling "Nah dude that's awesome." I don't know he looked and sounded really high. Whenever my previous dog used to pant and squint his eyes I would say he was "baldwinning."

All right enough of that. High and Low is a Kurosawa masterpiece. Toshiro Mifune is excellent self as usual. I don't know how noir the film is but I decided to include it at #5. I heard Spike Lee is remaking it. I wonder if it will be as good as Oldboy.

4. The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976)
5. High and Low (1963)
10. Alphaville (1965)
13. The Conversation (1974)
14. Zodiac (2007)
15. Memories of Murder (2003)
17. Fireworks (1997)
18. Pale Flower (1964)
19. The Grifters (1990)
20. Inherent Vice (2014)
22. The American Friend (1977)
24. Le Cercle Rouge (1970)
25. Série noire (1979) - One pointer
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Have seen so far: 26 - The Conversation - I found this a boring movie from the 70's.

Sin City - I thought this movie was decent, Bruce Willis did good in this movie. This movie is #10 on my ballot list.

Nightcrawler - This movie was alright, didn't find much interest in it.

The Usual Suspects - This was an okay movie from the 90's.

Have not seen so far: 53

My Ballot List
#2 - Heat
#3 - The Dark Knight
#4 - Dog Day Afternoon
#5 - Who Framed Roger Rabbit
#10 - Sin City

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I was just rereading what I wrote about High and Low for the Japanese Hall of Fame, and apparently I didn't think it was very noir at the time. I was probably being overly critical because Kurosawa's noirs didn't have the exact same aesthetics and lighting that the classic noirs do, and I wonder if my expectations would've been different if I'd seen people calling them "neo-noirs" instead of just "noirs".

High and Low / 天国と地獄 (1963)
Directed By: Akira Kurosawa
Starring: Toshiro Mifune, Tatsuya Nakadai, Kyōko Kagawa

I've seen many claim that this film, along with The Bad Sleep Well and Stray Dog are Kurosawa's attempts at film noir, however I find that all three lack critical noir elements, which unfortunately happen to be my favourite aspects of the genre. As such, all these films are disappointing when you're expecting a noir, so my recommendation is to throw that label out the window. Luckily High and Low was the last of these films I watched, so I was no longer anticipating elements that were never going to appear.

Toshiro Mifune is excellent as the wealthy executive who is dedicated to his company's work, and it's a pleasure to watch him grapple with deciding whether or not to save his position and status over the life of an innocent child. Kagawa's soulful pleas are borderline heartbreaking to watch, but strangely my favourite performances are the detectives who awkwardly stand around the foreground or edges of the shot while these heated and emotional moments between husband and wife, or between Gondo and Aoki happen behind them.

There are very few instances, particularly in the first half, where lighting is used for dramatic effect, but later in the film there are some occasional uses of contrast that do actually give off a little noir vibe, which I naturally appreciated. However it's also during a chase sequence that goes on for far too long, and around the 2 hour mark I started wishing the film would wrap things up. My interest does get renewed for the ending, but I feel like many of those scenes in the final act could've been cut shorter, since I wasn't really feeling the suspense. Overall I really enjoyed the film though, and I'm glad I had abandoned the "Kurosawa noir" expectation before seeing it.
Or perhaps my definitions were just too strict 5 years ago, because I definitely wouldn't argue that the film's not a noir today. It's more noir than quite a few films on my list, actually. I didn't vote for it, but that's because I was kind of mixed on the film regardless. I did, however, vote for today's other film.

Seen: 44/82

My List: 13
02. Blade Runner 2049 (2017) - #44
03. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - #42
05. Blue Ruin (2013) - #82
06. Mother (2009) - #67
07. Dark City (1998) - #24
08. Strange Days (1995) - #65
10. The Man from Nowhere (2010) - #87
14. Angel Heart (1987) - #31
15. Infernal Affairs (2002) - #91
17. Memories of Murder (2003) - #25
20. The Usual Suspects (1995) - #20
21. Oldboy (2003) - #52
23. Nightcrawler (2014) - #21
25. The Chaser (2008) - DNP 1-pointer

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... THE USUAL SUSPECTS

RT – 88%, IMDb – 8.5

Roger Ebert said:

"To the degree that you will want to see this movie, it will be because of the surprise, and so I will say no more, except to say that the "solution," when it comes, solves little - unless there is really little to solve, which is also a possibility." (read full review here)
J.P. Devine, from CentralMaine.com, said:

"Usual Suspects is a game of chess, a masterpiece full of fake clues, twists and turns that flows from light to shadow and back again. The Usual Suspects [...] rests somewhere near the top of the list of the greatest film noir thriller-capers of all time. There are many reasons for this, and they’re all there on the credit crawl at the end." (read full review here)
@Daniel M said:

"Following the film's end you'll be left kicking yourself in frustration yet amazed at perhaps one of the most famous twists ever in this fantastic thriller hence my recommendation of a second watch where everything should become so much clearer in terms of the plot including subtle clues and the film's great attempts to divert (successfully, at least in my case) you from the truth." (read full review here)

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... HIGH AND LOW

RT – 96%, IMDb – 8.4

Roger Ebert said:

"Few Japanese directors would have thought to adapt one of Ed McBain's crime stories, for example, but Kurosawa, reading King's Ransom, found the materials for one of his most challenging films." (read full review here)
Callie Smith, from TalkFilmSociety, said:

"The audience is as much an insidious, nosy onlooker as the villain of the piece as we take these characters’ worst fears and turn them into our entertainment. This latter portion, in its lighting, atmosphere, storytelling style, and so, so many other elements, perfectly epitomizes noir in all the ways the first part avoided [...] High and Low is a film that plays with contraries: black and white, heaven and hell. Even drama and noir." (read full review here)
Swapnil Dhruv Bose said:

"The film perfects the genre manipulations by keeping the audience on the edge of their seats while also indulging in an extensive commentary about crime and class divides. By the end, we know that we have just witnessed one of the most sublime pieces of filmmaking by an auteur at the very top of his form." (read full review here)

2 for 2 today but neither was on my ballot. I never thought to include The Usual Suspects on my list. Maybe if it had been a Top 50 list.

I loved High and Low but neither Wikipedia nor IMDb categorize it as noir or neo-noir. I'm not using that as an excuse for not including it since I had already picked Stray Dog. So I probably wouldn't have chosen HaL even if it met the criteria. It is a great movie though.

55 of 82 seen so far.

High and Low might be my favorite Kurosawa film, but I don't think of it as noir, no matter how gritty it gets at times, but it never has that noir grittiness to it, I guess. I'm completely indifferent to The Usual Suspects, and I'm the one weirdo in the world who can't get what is so great about the blasted twist at the end. I think five from my list won't make it.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Seen both but didn't really consider either, just not films that sprang to mind as neo-noir (although I'm not saying they're not).

High and Low I didn't like as much as Stray Dog or Drunken Angel, both of which I voted for in the classic noir countdown. I guess we can add Kurosawa to the list of directors on both lists. I feel like I may have missed something though so should probably watch it again at some point.

Ditto with The Usual Suspects, which I thought was fine but nowhere near a favourite. I always feel like people overrated acting performances where they play a character who is themselves acting/pretending and that has always slightly annoyed me about the film. But it has Gabriel Byrne in it so probably worth another watch.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm completely indifferent to The Usual Suspects, and I'm the one weirdo in the world who can't get what is so great about the blasted twist at the end.

Me too.

The Usual Suspects ended up at #17 on my list. It was fun to experience and discuss the movie, twist and all, the year it came out. It is a classic twist, but that's not all it has going for it. This is probably old hat, "well, duh," etc., but here goes with my ultimate take on it:

WARNING: spoilers below
I found that it ends up being a "banality of evil" story. I like how it suggests that the most evil person who ever lived is not how the movie depicts Keyser Soze during Verbal's story about him, but as someone like him who you would never notice if you walked past him or not think about again if you made small talk with him. "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist" is the most important line in the movie, possibly putting too fine a point on it, in other words.

I had Dark City at #12. It kind of hit at the right time in my life, my love of film was buring white hot, I had access to films and it was just before my depression started to take over. Not usually my kind of thing at all but I really went with it and enjoyed it a lot. It hadn't occured to me until this very minute, but would The Thirteenth Floor have counted? I'm guessing it probably would, so I should've had that, as I remember really enjoying that, too. Just taken a look and it would've qualified. If you've not seen it, take a look. I'm not telling you it's the best film you'll see, not even the best film you'll see this year, but if neo-noir is something you like, I'd say it's worth your time.

Pretty sure I own Le Cercle Rouge but haven't seen it and I know I own Nightcrawler and, you guessed it, haven't seen it.

Body Heat I've not seen since I was a kid. Don't remember liking it, but that wouldn't be unusual considering it's a real noir.

I love The Usual Suspects but didn't consider it for this

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
38. The Big Lebowski Quotable, rewatchable, is a certified cult classic. It truly should have been on my list, but it did not. Oh, well, the Dude abides.

37. Pulp Fiction This nearly took the position of the one Tarantino flick I voted for and the strongest candidate of his films for this Countdown. Very nice to see it in the thirties.

36. Dog Day Afternoon Sidney Lumet does an incredible job at a precarious acrobatic high-wire exhibition where, on a muggy Brooklyn day, an unruly mob is getting WAY out of control cheering on Al Pacino's Sonny's foiled Bank Robbery, now hostage situation as a New York Sargent (Charles Durning) frantically keeps sh#t from exploding full tilt.

35. Who Framed Roger Rabbit Bob Hoskins blends slapstick and the angry PI flawlessly. I always love watching this mix of live-action and anima-- f@ck that, cartoons.

Coming in at #23

33. Collateral A hitman gets in a cab, fans out a sh#tload of cash, convincing the driver to take him to a few stops he needs to make-- to kill people. Tom Cruise does serious credit to the intellectual, efficient killer. A favorite popcorn-munching neo-noir of ours.

32. Heat Michael Mann basically knocks it out of the park with this taut, fast-moving heist film. The ensemble cast delivers, filling out the ranks and backstories on both sides of the law. Every box is checked off to keep me engaged throughout. It's one of the best intense bank shootouts for my money.

Coming in at #3

31. Angel Heart This film is what I would picture many of the pulp novel-adapted noir films may have been without the Hays Code trying to keep them "appropriate" cinematic viewings. I have continually enjoyed this film since I first watched it at the movie theater at its release. There is a finesse to the blending of detective and horror genres with a Faustian twist. A subtle offsetting with every interview that Harry delves into in his investigation, and with them, his every meeting with Cyphere drags him and us deeper into the underworld and away from reality.

30. Zodiac A detailed account of the journalist who continues investigating the serial killer when everyone has given up was an intriguing mystery experience for me.

Coming in at #18

26. Sin City is overtly stylized and pulp-inspired, adhering to Frank Miller's violent graphics and jam-packed with various vignettes of betrayal, revenge, and the sordid affairs of this metropolitan den of corruption and vice.
What's not to love?

25. Memories of Murder Based on a set of murders/rapes in the eighties, Director Bong Joon Ho gives us two lead detectives of two definitive ways of procedure. The first, a personal favorite actor of mine, Kang-ho Song, as Detective Park Doo-man, who, along with his partner, will fabricate evidence and literally "kick' a confession out of a suspect to close the case. And, from the Seoul department, Kim Sang-Kyung, as Detective Seo Tae-yoon, actually investigates both the dismal amount of evidence and where they truly lead. Their conflicting styles are at the core of the investigation, and from there, many of the memorable scenes stem from.

Coming in at 22

24. Dark City is one of my guaranteed placements on my list. It is a crazy mix of noir and science fiction with a hellacious amnesia premise that feels like a Twilight Zone episode and a camera style that follows the illustrations of many great graphic novels. I have enjoyed and continue to enjoy this heavily shadowed cosmos. Recently, I found a Director's Cut, which has only increased my enjoyment.

23. Le Cercle Rouge I have only seen this a couple of times, and I am very much a Melville fanboy; this is not the Melville film I went with.

Coming in at 10

20. The Usual Suspects This is another guaranteed placement. We've watched it countless times and will watch it countless more. It's serious credit to a film when having full knowledge of the Big Twist adds to the overall enjoyment. There isn't a scene in which I'm not fully invested, with a grin on my face, voicing along on my favorite lines.

19. High and Low The Winner of The Japanese Hall of Fame. From the first introduction of Gondo and his fellow Directors of the Board for the shoe company they worked for to the kidnapping, the drop-off, and the real chase: Finding the kidnapper and capturing him for a greater crime and, thereby, the harsher punishment. The final third of the film, in which they followed him as he purchased more heroin, was far more gripping than many films I've seen with similar circumstances.

Seen 48 out of 82 (58.53%)
3. Angel Heart (1987) #31
6. The Grifters (1990) #45
8. Mystic River (2003) #68
10. The Usual Suspects (1995) #20
13. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) #42
14. Mother (2009) #67
18. Sin City (2005) #26
20. The Nice Guys (2016) #39
21. Inherent Vice (2014) #41
22. Dark City (1998) #24
23. Collateral (2004) #33
24.Basic Instinct (1992) #70
25. Things to do in Denver When You're Dead (1995) One-Pointer

High and Low - I do not particularly care for Kurosawa, so unsurprisingly this did not make my ballot. I will say, the parts of Kurosawa films I usually dislike the most are when people are talking, so I recall actually liking the "Low" parts early in th film, since it's just camera movement and placement as the guy moves around his space. More pure cinematics.

The Usual Suspects - I really loved this movie when it came out in the 90s. But I was also a teen then. I can't remember when I stopped thinking about it, but it's been decades and it hasn't crossed my mind much since.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence

Coming in at #3

31. Angel Heart This film is what I would picture many of the pulp novel-adapted noir films may have been without the Hays Code trying to keep them "appropriate" cinematic viewings. I have continually enjoyed this film since I first watched it at the movie theater at its release. There is a finesse to the blending of detective and horror genres with a Faustian twist. A subtle offsetting with every interview that Harry delves into in his investigation, and with them, his every meeting with Cyphere drags him and us deeper into the underworld and away from reality.
Grandiose work of cinema!

Actor Stats Pit Stop

Bruce Willis
(The Player, Pulp Fiction, Sin City)
Bill Paxton
(A Simple Plan, One False Move, Nightcrawler)
Billy Bob Thornton
(A Simple Plan, One False Move, The Man Who Wasn’t There)
Gene Hackman
(The French Connection, Night Moves, The Conversation)
Mark Ruffalo
(Shutter Island, Collateral, Zodiac)
Robert Downey Jr.
(Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, The Nice Guys, Zodiac)
Val Kilmer
(Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, True Romance, Heat)
William Fichtner
(The Dark Knight, Strange Days, Heat)
Tom Sizemore
(Strange Days, True Romance, Heat)
Stephen Tobolowsky
(The Grifters, Thelma & Louise, Basic Instinct)
Michael Caine
(Mona Lisa, The Dark Knight, Get Carter)
Dennis Hopper
(The American Friend, Red Rock West, True Romance)
Mickey Rourke
(Angel Heart, Sin City, Body Heat)

I'm a little surprised to see Val Kilmer up there. He's been in more great movies than I realized.

The Usual Suspects ended up at #17 on my list. It was fun to experience and discuss the movie, twist and all, the year it came out. It is a classic twist, but that's not all it has going for it. This is probably old hat, "well, duh," etc., but here goes with my ultimate take on it:

WARNING: spoilers below
I found that it ends up being a "banality of evil" story. I like how it suggests that the most evil person who ever lived is not how the movie depicts Keyser Soze during Verbal's story about him, but as someone like him who you would never notice if you walked past him or not think about again if you made small talk with him. "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist" is the most important line in the movie, possibly putting too fine a point on it, in other words.

Yes, yes, and yes! I love when the greatest evil turns out to be something so common and 'normal' that it just fades into the background.

To paraphrase the creator of the webcomic 'Penny Arcade' (of all things):

"I learned that there was no heaven, and that hell is something we create for ourselves here on Earth, every day."