Movie Tab II

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
i really liked The Toxic Avenger!

That being said I 'only' gave it

But my ratings for the so-called worst films ever are various and I don't even know what's the formula for them (well, there isn't). The Room is
, but Plan 9 From Other Space is
, Glen or Glenda is
(!!!) while Evil Brain from Outer Space is only
. But I really like all these films. I think it would me a nice, but overused gimmick to give them all
, while they are way too entertaining and enjoyable for
. I have a hard time rating these.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

In the Beginning...
Some recap film ratings, since I haven't posted here in a while.

Whiplash (Chazelle, 2014)

What We Do in the Shadows (Clement, Waititi)

Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015)

It Follows (Mitchell, 2014)

Ant-Man (Reed, 2015)

Whiplash (Chazelle, 2014)

Seriously, it's so good. I have a few minor issues with character and plot toward the end of the film, but honestly it doesn't matter much. Mad Max: Fury Road kicks ass.
Agreed. I saw it three times. Can't wait for the Blu Ray release on September 1st.

Welcome to the human race...
But my ratings for the so-called worst films ever are various and I don't even know what's the formula for them (well, there isn't). The Room is
, but Plan 9 From Other Space is
, Glen or Glenda is
(!!!) while Evil Brain from Outer Space is only
. But I really like all these films. I think it would me a nice, but overused gimmick to give them all
, while they are way too entertaining and enjoyable for
. I have a hard time rating these.
I sort of take a similar approach by splitting the difference between how well-made it is and how much enjoyment I got out of it. This explains why The Room and Troll 2 both get
from me because they are
in terms of quality but
in terms of enjoyment.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Big Gundown (Sergio Sollima, 1966)

Andersonville (John Frankenheimer, 1996)

The Selling (Emily Lou, 2011)
+
F/X (Robert Mandel, 1986)

Investigating police officer Brian Dennehy tries to find out how much of what movie effects man Bryan Brown’s convoluted story involving a “fake assassination” and mobster Jerry Orbach is true.
Richard Pryor: Live on the Sunset Strip (Joe Layton, 1982)
+
Richard Pryor... Here and Now (Richard Pryor, 1983)

Ashes (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2012)

Salaam Bombay! (Mira Nair, 1988)

The real Slumdog Millionaire with little hope of escape for children or wives.
It Follows (David Robert Mitchell, 2015)
-
The Making of 'Poltergeist' (Frank Marshall, 1982)

The Forbidden Street (Jean Negulesco, 1949)
+
Deliver Us from Evil (Scott Derrickson, 2014)

In a house with no electricity, NYC policeman Eric Bana discovers a crucified, gutless cat among an ever-increasing amount of strange things.
Dave Chappelle's Block Party (Michel Gondry, 2006)

Dry Wood (Les Blank, 1973)

Garlic Is As Good As Ten Mothers (Les Blank, 1980)

Yum, Yum, Yum! A Taste of Cajun and Creole Cooking (Les Blank & Maureen Gosling, 1990)

Just what the title says – A mixture of Louisiana Creole and Cajun cooking for masses of people using the three key spices, salt, red pepper and black pepper with native zydeco music.
All Talking... All Singing... All Dancing (No Director Listed 1971)
+
The Blues Accordin' to Lightnin' Hopkins (Les Blank, 1970)

Hot Pepper (Les Blank, 1973)

A Well Spent Life (Les Blank & Skip Gerson, 1972)

Documentary about Texas folk/blues singer/guitarist Mance Lipscomb who performs plenty of his music and shares his philosophy of how to live a simple, honest life.

The Great Silence (Sergio Corbucci, 1968)
-
Sleeping Beauty (Clyde Geronimi, 1959)

Although, I'm kind of sad that you didn't like both of those movies at least half a star more.

Is that a second viewing of It Follows, mark? I'm thought I'd seen you rate it before. BTW, rep for F/X. I've not seen it in forever, but I remember really liking it.

Although, I'm kind of sad that you didn't like both of those movies at least half a star more.
The Great Silence was really interesting (I've never seen a western that ends quite like that!) but also heavy handed.

Sleeping Beauty should have been called Bumbling Fairies, since that's who it's about. That's not really a bad thing - at times I thought Cinderella was about the mice and I liked that movie - but my wife and I watched half in a Mystery Science Theater mode. (I especially liked when they put the whole kingdom to sleep so that nobody would notice how badly they screwed up). I straight-up liked what they did with the ballet music. Unfortunately, even at just over an hour it feels a little too long since it's basically a rehash of earlier, much-better-animated Disney films.

The Great Silence was really interesting (I've never seen a western that ends quite like that!) but also heavy handed.

Sleeping Beauty should have been called Bumbling Fairies, since that's who it's about. That's not really a bad thing - at times I thought Cinderella was about the mice and I liked that movie - but my wife and I watched half in a Mystery Science Theater mode. (I especially liked when they put the whole kingdom to sleep so that nobody would notice how badly they screwed up). I straight-up liked what they did with the ballet music. Unfortunately, even at just over an hour it feels a little too long since it's basically a rehash of earlier, much-better-animated Disney films.
The Great Silence actually has two different endings.

I was thinking of Sleeping Beauty (2011). Lol

Insomnia (Skjoldbjærg, 1997)

Wow. Today I wanted to watch something real. I truly got it with this stellar debut feature from Skjoldbjærg. I watched an American made film of his recently, Prozac Nation. I found the film- while flawed- slightly under appreciated. Insomnia is completely under appreciated though. One of the greatest crime thrillers ever made, the film follows a sociopath detective who makes a grave mistake by accidentally shooting his partner. Played by Stellan Skarsgård in a convincing and gripping performance. The film holds tension throughout. Every single scene, even the most uneventful are intense. And all somehow equally so. A scene where Detective Engstrom is struggling to sleep is just as intense as the scene where he meets the suspected killer he's searching for. And this is somehow despite the predictability. I knew what would happen at the end of each scene from the initial entrance, I pretty much knew how the whole film would play out after the first 25 minutes. Yet Skjoldbjærg and Skarsgård team up to make it surprisingly gripping. Proving how important atmosphere is to making a great film.

The film is highly symbolic. The efforts of Detective Engstrom are bothered by the bright sun peering into his room. Unlike most horror, thrillers, and mysteries Insomnia does not rely on darkness, but instead light. Everything happens in broad daylight, and even in the final scene where everything goes dark except for Detective Engstrom eyes- the "light" in the scene is the only chilling part about it. There's one scene in particular that I think has the most symbolic image. When Detective Engstrom enters a "suspects" room to continue on his path of lies there's an image of Freud glaring next to him. "The Truth Will set you free" is a Freud quote that immediately comes to mind, and clearly the detective is not free while he's continuing his path of deceiving those around him. I don't think I'm over analyzing this either, because in this film every prop is important and has some reference.

I have not seen Nolan's remake, nor do I plan too. I'm much more likely to just rewatch this film. As I mentioned I was looking for something real, and I believe that's much more achievable with a cast of nobodies compared to a star studded cast of Al Pacino, Robin Williams, and Hillary Swank. I think I will stick to Skarsgård, Mathiesen, and Bjørn Floberg. In this cold, extremely graphic yet tasteful, thriller in a Norwegian town where the sun never sets- which I now realize is terrifying.

-

Deliver Us from Evil (Scott Derrickson, 2014)

In a house with no electricity, NYC policeman Eric Bana discovers a crucified, gutless cat among an ever-increasing amount of strange things.
LOVE that flick