The Dark Knight Rises

Tools    

I've read Dark Victory and Long Halloween, both very good graphic novels.
I don't recall The Long Halloween being very good at all actually. My understanding is that there was a novelty of sorts associated with it since issues were released on various holidays that correspond to the story. But it was a far cry from Batman: Year One and had a lot of Batman posing, intimidating with musculature filling the page, for no reason whatsoever. I hope no film is based off that story.

The Riddler is probally going to portray the role as the villain. Hope he does, Batman Forever was a classic...

I do have a lot of questions for this movie - if there would be one.

Villains : Two-Face and The Joker are pretty much the pinnacle of the villains Batman has - they also make for a much more realistic movie , I mean someone like Penguin would never work in Gotham setting Begins and Dark Knight have set up. Catwoman could be well suited for the next one , I also don't think Riddler could have a big role in the next one either. He might be good to just be in the quick beginning of the movie , inspired by The Joker.

Premise : Batman has stopped the all powerful Joker , what could possibly top that ? Of course that could be the plot , an aging Batman - who tries to give up his life of fighting crime : especially against his terrible odds with the police looking for him. I would really hate for this movie to be anything similar to The Dark Knight - instead of a whole new original story.

Would anyone play The Joker : I'm not sure how The Joker will get out of the next one , but I think it would be a terrible mistake recasting him for the next one. Heath set the character's voice and presence up so well , anything different would just look silly.

Can it top The Dark Knight : I really doubt there will ever be another comic book movie , this good. Even with the same team working on a new one , it would need to have some really original content - to ever top it's predecessor.

Scarecrow certainly has been set up (in both films) to play a much larger role going forward.

I'll bet on Scarecrow being the next big villain though I'm not all that excited about it.

A system of cells interlinked
I don't recall The Long Halloween being very good at all actually. My understanding is that there was a novelty of sorts associated with it since issues were released on various holidays that correspond to the story. But it was a far cry from Batman: Year One and had a lot of Batman posing, intimidating with musculature filling the page, for no reason whatsoever. I hope no film is based off that story.
Ragging on Loeb and Sale?

The Long Halloween was fantastic, and Sale's art is unique, dark, and original.

I disagree with you about as completely as someone can.

If a Batman comic has to be better than Year One or The Dark Knight Returns to be good, then they all suck, no? I mean, those are considered the best, right? That's some silly criteria right there...

Shall I link some of the multitude of rave reviews for The Long Halloween?

BATMAN 3: Official Statments

OK, here are "official" and on the record comments about "BATMAN 3" that come straight from the mouths of actors, filmmakers, and the studio.

Chris Nolan, December 2008

Nolan says he is jotting notes and doing some rough outlines for a third story, but he hasn't yet found anything he's willing to commit to film, despite Warner Bros.' eagerness to get a new film underway.

"It was obvious when the box office was so big ($530 million domestically) that we had underestimated how ready fans were to reboot the franchise. The worst thing you could do now that you've gotten the plane back in the air is mess up the landing." (USATODAY.COM)

Chris Nolan, October 2008

"[Will I return for a third BATMAN?] Is there a story that’s going to keep me emotionally invested for the couple of years that it will take to make another one? That’s the overriding question. On a more superficial level, I have to ask the question: ‘How many good third movies in a franchise can people name?’ At the same time, in taking on the second one, we had the challenge of trying to make a great second movie, and there haven't been too many of those either. It’s all about the story really. If the story is there, everything is possible.” (BOF)

"[Warner Bros. is] being extremely gracious. I have a very good relationship with the studio. They know that I really needed to go on holiday and take some time to figure what I want to do next. They’ve been very respectful of that, which is terrific and one of the reasons I enjoy working with Warner Bros." (BOF)

Charles Roven, October 2008

“I can't speak to that [BATMAN 3] right now.

We are excited about the possibility of something coming together, but we're definitely in the stage where we're just thinking about it. Chris [Nolan] is really the one who is thinking on it.” (BOF)

David Goyer, October 2008

“[All the recent Batman rumors] -- it’s all B.S. ALL of it.”

“Chris and I haven’t even talked about it. He quite understandably is taking a long, long vacation and wants to purge himself. We have mused here and there [but] I mean Chris is pretty much a one movie at a time kind of guy.” (MTV)

Warner Bros./Alan Horn, August 2008

Warner Bros. confirms an offer is on the table for director Chris Nolan to helm a third BATMAN. "We have no idea where Chris is going with this. We haven't had any conversations with him about it," says Warner's Alan Horn. (VARIETY.COM)

Warner Bros./Jeff Robinov, August 2008

Warner Bros.’ Jeff Robinov says that the studio plans to release four DC Comics-based films over the next three years, including a third BATMAN. (WALL STREET JOURNAL)

David Goyer, July 2008

“I think that’s the scariest thing – to think, could we come up with a third movie that was as good as the first two. Can we top ourselves? Doing it a third time would be a big proposition. We’ve only talked loosely about [doing a third one], Chris and I.

I have [a theme for the film], but I’m not going to tell you. Chris is very particular about that.” (MTV)

Gary Oldman, June 2008

“I think there is every possibility that there will be a third one, certainly.

I do think that there will be a third one, yeah. And I think that Chris will do a third -- if Warners wants a third one I think that Chris will do it. I’m pretty much convinced -- it’s his baby, you know? He’s not going to give his baby up.

I don’t think Warner Bros. -- what they are learning now is, with the franchise, is you need a captain. Maybe with HARRY POTTER you can do it differently, but they’ve learned that you just can’t slap ‘BATMAN’ on it and succeed. It just isn’t enough. You’ve got to have someone at the helm. You’ve really got to have someone with a vision for it, and Chris has certainly got that.

So I think that they will tempt him (laughs) with all sorts of things and he’ll do it…and it is his baby.” (BOF)

Jonathan Nolan, June 2008

"[A third film] got to be better. That’s [Chris'] mandate. No point in doing it again if there isn’t more to say and if it there isn’t a legitimate shot there to make a better film." (COLLIDER.COM)

David Goyer, June 2008

“Well we’ll see.

Look, Chris is definitely a one movie at a time guy and it was 3 months after BATMAN BEGINS came out that he finally called me up and said, let’s have lunch and talk about another one.

But no, there’s been no ‘specific’ talk of doing a third one....

[And if we have unofficially talked about another one], we’re certainly not going to tell you.” (MTV)

Chris Nolan, June 2008

While doing press for THE DARK KNIGHT
during the Summer of 2008, director Chris Nolan blows off all questions about doing a third Batman film. Nolan says that he put everything into THE DARK KNIGHT that he wanted, and didn’t leave anything out for a possible sequel

Christian Bale, March 2008

"Knowing the DARK KNIGHT story, I would like very much to complete a trilogy.

I think that knowing the story of THE DARK KNIGHT, it leaves you anticipating something that really can get very, very interesting for a third.

Now, the question would be: Is Chris going to be doing it? Because to me I find it tricky to imagine working on it without it being a collaboration with Chris." (BOF)

Source: Batman On Film

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Don't they also say Eddie Murphy is The Riddler???

I heard that somewhere.

Stupid rumours.

Suspect's Reviews

Well, I would expect an African American as a lead villain in the next Batman. You know, just because.

What villain would you like to see?
I think the new movie would be interesting if it involved Nyssa and Talia al Ghul, the daughters of Ras Al Ghul and also the Chinese mob boss the Squid. Doctor Moon and the Joker’s apprentice Harley Quinn would also make an interesting mix of characters.

If Bale is not Batman then I don’t care to see it. Nolan should direct, but is not a must.

And Robin should only be in it if he/she is killed off in the first twenty minutes.

I would like to see catwoman only because the outfit is hottt but at the same time we are pretty much starved for comics in my town in so I am very much out of the loop on which villians are even around in the gotham world.

I can say though, adding Batman/batgirl will murder the franchise and nor can I really see it happening in all honest truth not in the gotham world set up at the moment. This batman is too suited to the solitude lifestyle. The riddler is do-able. The Joker as was done stole the show in my opinion in the dark knight. Everyone is aware of Batmans vigilanty style, his parents death and his thirst for justice but what was new was the comics weirdly comical villian being so dark and twisted in the movie.

Im rambling because im somewhat intoxicated but basically what im saying is. Its obvious Penguin wont happen, Freeze, Poison Ivy, quin, etc. ANything that can only exist im a comical land

I don't under any circumstances want to see Robin in this one.

I actually think Nolan could make Robin cool, like how Robin was cool in both of the 1940's TV series. I actually do think Robin could work in Nolan's Batman.

It would be cool if Robin was violently gutted in the first few minutes. Good way to start a Batman movie.

after seeing Frost/Nixon i really think Michael Sheen would make a great Riddler. he's just got that grin to him and he's a great actor

I think that The Long Halloween would be a great starting point for the next Batman film, its realistic, gritty style fits perfectly with Nolan's vision of Batman. Of course staying true to the plot is made more difficult with the death of Ledger/Joker and Two-Face in the last movie (I maintain Two-Face is alive though or at least could be brought back without too much question). Alternatively Nolan could just start with Dark Victory (basically the sequel to Long Halloween) and work from there. All solid ground story wise and not too difficult to condense into 2hr format.

As for random Batman villains I would like to see AND that would fit nicely with the new realistic flavor Batman, how about:

Bane - The man who broke the Batman. A great story is to be had in comparing Bane's intelligence and obsession with Batman's. Abusing drugs for the superhuman strength adds to the dark realism. My #1 choice.

Riddler - Could be a great choice if they get the right mix of playfulness tempered with real malevolence. Hard to escape the shadow of the Joker though since it is a similar character.

Catwoman - Another villain that would be good but I don't think she has the proper emotional weight to be the main supervillain. Her position in good vs. bad is always left ambiguous and she should stay that way.

One of the Serial Killers - Calendar Man, Zaz (can't remember spelling), etc. Could go film noir style Batman and have a nice ol' detective movie

This is the best concept for the third installment I have heard so far:

"I think the next film should keep the same tone and continue the theme of The Dark Knight. With Batman now on the run I think the film could be called something like Batman: Redemption (is that name taken?). I envision a film on par in tone with David Fincher’s Seven. For that I think some good villain choices might be The Reaper, The Hangman, or possibly The Riddler (if the character is overhauled ala Heath Ledger’s Joker).

The basic story for any of these characters would be that they are going around killing people in the dark of night and the killings are being blamed on Batman. The parallel story would have the cops looking for the killer while Batman does the same (while the villain leaves clues behind). I’m no comic book expert so I don’t know all the details of the storylines, but I’m thinking The Hangman might be a nice choice because he goes around killing all the cops that helped Harvey Dent rise to the position of District Attorney…although I’m not certain how they could work it in."

read the whole article here: http://popcritics.com/2008/07/the-friday-question-batmans-next-villain

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I remember reading a story contest on FirstShowing.net that had people submit their ideas for the next installment. The winning story involved The Riddler as the villain. I'll have to see if I can find it, because it was written well.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

After reading Dark Knight Returns , I defintly feel this should be the base of the third film. Retired Bruce Wayne who is too old to fight criminals and cops , comes back to stop a large threat and is unable to quit his vigilante lifestyle.

I trust Nolan really won't try to make anything near rehash material.