Movie Tab II

Tools    

A Very Long Engagement (2004) - Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Jeunet brings his distinct style to World War I. Didn't think it would work but it pretty much did. Nice little performance from Jodie Foster in this too.
+

A Woman is a Woman (1961) - Jean-Luc Godard
Quirky little musical comedy parody. Lots of fun with Godard using every idea he could think of.
-

La Notte (1961) - Michelangelo Antonioni
Mastroianni is the sort of actor who makes almost anything watchable. Visually excellent too.
+

Viridiana (1961) - Luis Bunuel
Excellent, depressing movie that will make you lose faith in human nature ... but in a funny way ...

Mother Joan of the Angels (1961) - Jerzy Kawalerowicz
A beautiful, creepy horror movie. Don't know how else to describe it
+

When it Rains (1995) - Charles Burnett
Bluedeed's nomination in the Shorts HoF. First thing I've seen by Burnett and the first nomination of Bluedeed's I didn't really care for unfortunately. Basically I didn't really "get" it

The Old Man & The Sea (1999) - Aleksandr Petrov
Another short. Excellent animation.

The Hustler (1961) - Robert Rossen
Surprised me how dark this movie was. Probably contains Newman's best performance IMO.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Maybe they made a decent one, for once.
All of them are at least decent if not good.

I watched A Woman is a Woman a few days ago too, Sane and I'm giving it
! I love the very ending, in which Anna Karina blinks to the camera! (hope it's not too much of a spoiler xD). Mother Joan of the Angels is a great Kawalerowicz film. Check out Pociąg (Train) as well!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Lord of Darkness (Ricky Wood, 2012)

The Juggler (Edward Dmytryk, 1953)

Kind Lady (George B. Seitz, 1935)

Strange Bargain (Will Price, 1949)

Police lieutenant Harry Morgan and sergeant Walter Sande aren't sure how bookkeeper Jeffrey Lynn is involved in a murder but he knows something.
Escape from Crime (D. Ross Lederman, 1942)

Twisted Sisters (Wolfgang Buld, 2006)

Tish (S. Sylvan Simon, 1942)

The Pawnbroker (Sidney Lumet, 1965)

Young Puerto Rican assistant Jaime Sanchez asks pawnbroker Rod Steiger to "teach me gold".
The Hidden Eye (Richard Whorf, 1945)
+
Cravings aka Daddy’s Girl (D.J. Evans, 2006)

Red Light (Roy Del Ruth, 1949)

Sunset Blvd. (Billy Wilder, 1950)
-

While watching one of her silent classics, eccentric actress Norma Desmond (Gloria Swanson) exclaims to screenwriter Joe Gillis (William Holden), "We had faces then!"
Follow Me Quietly (Richard O. Fleischer, 1949)

For Your Consideration (Ira Genet, 1939)
+
The Soloist (Joe Wright, 2009)

They Made Me a Fugitive aka I Became a Criminal (Cavalcanti, 1947)
+

WWII vet Trevor Howard falls in with the wrong crowd and his life goes from bad to worse with the law.
The Vampire Bat (Frank Strayer, 1933)
-
Rural Sweden (James A. FitzPatrick, 1938)

Two-Faced Woman (George Cukor, 1941)

Voyage to Metropolis (Artem Demenok, 2010)

Documentary about the gradual loss of footage from Metropolis from its premiere through the finding of a camera negative in Argentina and its glorious restoration in 2010.

$9.99 (Tatia Rosenthal, 2008)

Persepolis (Vincent Paronnaud, Marjane Satrapi, 2007)
-

Waltz With Bashir (Ari Folman, 2008)

Brother Bear (Aaron Blaise, Robert Walker, 2003)
+

The Illusionist (Sylvain Chomet, 2010)
+

On the Loose (Charles Lederer, 1951)

Scott Walker: 30 Century Man (Stephen Kijak, 2006)

Pretty Baby (Bretaigne Windust, 1950)

The Nutty Professor (Jerry Lewis, 1963)

College professor Jerry Lewis, a version of Dr. Jekyll, is attracted to down-to-earth student Stella Stevens.
Clarence, the Cross-Eyed Lion (Andrew Marton, 1965)

Zebra in the Kitchen (Ivan Tors, 1965)

The Caddy (Norman Taurog, 1953)

The Return (Andrey Zvyagintsev, 2003)
-

Brothers Vladimir Garin and Ivan Dobronravov undergo a harrowing physical and emotional journey with their long-missing-but-suddenly-returned father (Konstantin Lavronenko).
Tower Block (James Nunn & Robbie Thompson, 2012)

Mary Stevens, M.D. (Lloyd Bacon, 1933)

The Age of Consent (Gregory La Cava, 1932)

Union Depot (Alfred E. Green, 1932)

Down-on-her-luck chorus girl Joan Blondell finds a protective friend in bum Douglas Fairbanks Jr. who's posing as a high roller after he finds a stash of loot.
Red-Headed Woman (Jack Conway, 1932)

Beau Hunks (James W. Horne, 1931)

Red Dust (Victor Fleming, 1932)
-
Bombshell (Victor Fleming, 1933)

Hollywood blonde bombshell Jean Harlow wants to make her life simpler but can't do that since her press agent Lee Tracy keeps fake juicy stories about her in the headlines.
Design for Living (Ernst Lubitsch, 1933)

Trouble in Paradise (Ernst Lubitsch, 1932)

The Story of Temple Drake (Stephen Roberts, 1933)
+
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Rouben Mamoulian, 1931)

Brilliant Dr. Jekyll (Fredric March) develops a formula which turns him into the lustful, violent, animalistic Mr. Hyde.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Leonard Cohen (Donald Brittain & Don Owen, 1965)

A very personal look at the poet before he performed music, consisting of his creative process, poetry readings and even some stand-up comedy.

This looks really fascinating.

And Mark, how the heck do you watch 20 movies in a day and a half?! (Based on your last two posts.)

He doesn't. He posts a given number of films every other period of time, so he already has a lot of films hoarded.

And Mark, how the heck do you watch 20 movies in a day and a half?! (Based on your last two posts.)
Stuck in bed after a stroke with the TV on 24/7. Plus I've got a few subscription services too. That's the real story. Minio has some alternative universe story which isn't true but it's what some people prefer to believe. I can't help it.

But that's what you said youself.

When you posted two posts one after another with so many films it wouldn't be technically possible to watch 'em in 24 hours you said that you post these films with a lag, because you limit yourself to 20 films per post. I know of your condition and that you watch enormous number of films and your latest posts may be all up-to-date, but that's what I remember from about one year ago.

The backlog was a day or two when I said that. Right now, the backlog is four movies. I post 20 at a time because I watch so many and I'm used to my current format. I guess I could post them in the Last Movie You've Seen thread and get 100 + reps instead of 10 in here. Does anybody really care?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
But I have to wonder if half of these are just movies on in the background. I don't know how you could pay attention to movies for so long straight through.

There are very few TV shows I watch anymore, mostly what my wife and daughter want to watch with me. I do watch some baseball. I will occasionally watch an old show on DVD with the family.
But I have to wonder if half of these are just movies on in the background. I don't know how you could pay attention to movies for so long straight through.
When you're bedridden and only have use of your left hand, you can tell me if it's do-able. True, some movies get more attention than others, but I feel I watch the movie well enough to give it an appropriate rating.

Was there ever a time when you watched TV as much as you watched movies? I've started to get into series recently but I think my priority will always be film.

Besides, it's not that easy to find the time for both.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
When you're bedridden and only have use of your left hand, you can tell me if it's do-able. True, some movies get more attention than others, but I feel I watch the movie well enough to give it an appropriate rating.
Well, better to have a hobby then to not.

Was there ever a time when you watched TV as much as you watched movies? I've started to get into series recently but I think my priority will always be film.
I'm mostly old school when it comes to TV. I watch most of it when it's on. Ever since college days started (that's 41 years ago), I've preferred crap movies to TV shows. I know the best ones today are movie-quality, but I'm not that interested. I am participating in the TV countdown because I have seen some great ones but they're old and many younger MoFos probably haven't experienced them. Every one I show to my daughter she loves though.

ranked.

The Perfect Crime

Saving Silverman (Dennis Dugan, 2001)

Event Horizon (Paul W.S. Anderson, 1997)

Perfect Blue (Satoshi Kon, 1996)

My Left Eye Sees Ghosts (Johnnie To, 2002)

Tenacious D in: The Pick of Destiny (Liam Lynch, 2006)

Single White Female (Barbet Schroeder, 1992)

In Her Skin (Simone North, 2009)

The Nut Job (Peter Lepeniotis, 2014)

Village of the Giants (Bert I. Gordon, 1965)

School of Rock (Richard Linklater, 2004)