The Continuing Voyages of Sinbad

Tools    

In 1958 Ray Harryhausen produced The 7th Voyage of Sinbad. In the 1970s he produced two sequels - The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1974) and Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977). Now two different companies are wanting to continue the adventures of Sinbad, as inspired by Harryhausen.

First up, apparently this year from Giant Flick Films, is Sinbad: The Fifth Voyage, which somehow managed to get Patrick Stewart involved with the film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1403862/

Next up will likely be Sinbad: Rogue of Mars, in development from Morningside Entertainment who licensed the idea from Bluewater Comics, who borrowed the idea from Harryhausen's own idea of "Sinbad Goes to Mars," which was allegendly going to be his next project after Clash of the Titans (1981). The idea behind this one is to set up a new Sinbad trilogy, effectively continuing the adventures from Harryhausen's films.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...-movies-again/

We'll just have to wait and see if any of them are worthy successors to Harryhausen's classics.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Oo dear ,that looked a bit ropey. Kinda fitting I guess, and they've even gone for a stop-motion minotaur it seems! But still.

I'd say from the trailer, and the way Stewart doesn't have a character name on IMDb, he's just narrating Old Sinbad's part at brief moments. Something of a quick gig.

There are definitely still stories to be told from the Arabian Nights, as it were, and they didn't use all of the Sinbad stuff up in the flicks that came before, but this looks like it might be more plastic than plasticine

I'm not sure what Rogue of Mars will look like, but Fifth Voyage, from what I can see, looks like fun. The creatures, anyway, look like they fit with Harryhausen's visual asthetic. I am actually glad to see them make use of stop-motion rather than try CGI (which usually, but not always, looks way awful in low budget productions, ala the Asylum and SyFy). I actually wish more studios would rely less on computers and use the old techniques more.

I think it at least looks better than the Asylum's modern take, The 7 Adventures of Sinbad, released last year and billed as "The original Prince of Persia."

Wow. Another Sinbad project, this one for SyFy, I believe. American World Pictures presents Sinbad and the Minotaur.

Just wondering... Has any actor ever played Sinbad in more than one film? Even the Harryhausen "trilogy" had a different actor in each movie.