The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Tomorrow's hint:

To what pretty place can a young man go to find those blooming skyscrapers?
Okay, I'll go a step further with the hint and say that "young man" is there for a specific reason, and that "blooming" points to both films.
LOTR: Two Towers
No idea on the other

8 1/2 is one of my favorite films of all-time, possibly top ten. Where do I even begin? This film is a nightmare, hallucination, and blissful dream all at once. It's a film about filmmaking, yes, but it's also about a man making sense of the unapologetic world around him –– one where a 'writer's block' is an excuse, not a genuine issue. The surrealistic imagery is what many recall. But I also want to credit Fellini's storytelling, which infuses a sense of focus with a clear goal and stakes: The main character, Guido, must complete a science fiction movie in time. As someone who's both struggles with mild anxiety and loves being creative (often failing), a lot of this film speaks to me. Fellini made it so I don't have to.

I'm also a huge fan of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid! It's a movie you can turn to enjoy and relax without having to feel guilty afterwards. Hilarious banter, awesome action –– even by today's standards –– and two iconic performances. Easy Top 100 material.
Good points. 8-1/2 was a fascinating film from a director at the peak of his popularity and imagination. Although it was similar in mood to Fellini’s La Dolce Vita, I preferred the earlier film. It had a more palpable free and liberating feel about it. But 8-1/2 came along at the same time as the burgeoning Hippie movement, with it’s inducement to “turn on, tune in, and drop out”. Fellini’s surrealistic approach was eagerly ingested by those adherents, and it felt like a cool drink of water to those of us interested in the general avant-garde.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was an ideal vehicle for Newman & Redford, whose perfect pairing reached it’s ultimate in The Sting 4 years later. The story was fresh, absorbing and unique in the western movie style. The comic undertone kept the film from being too serious. There was a nice love story between the Katherine Ross and Redford characters, which adds a nice dimension. I’ve always felt the song “Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head” --although cute and catchy-- did not fit the era of the movie, despite its winning Burt Bacharach an Oscar for Best Original Song. Good song, but it felt incongruous in that setting.

When I first watched 8˝,, I thought the film was an incomprehensible mess. It was only after I thought about it and I rewatched it that I realized that it was anything but without form or unstructured. is basically Fellini laying out all his insecurities on film and showing you exactly why he's having a difficult time making his next film. Fellini had already made seven-and-one-half films, and his previous film, La Dolce Vita was his biggest hit and made him an even bigger cause celebre.

I only just learned that Fellini decided on the title because at that point he'd made eight and one-half films. 57 years later I finally found out what the title meant....

Im going to take a guess..

Dark City
Inception
I was about to say that there's no way in hell Dark City makes it on the list, but I see it made your 2010 list. If it did make it now, that would make me very, very happy. Happier if The Matrix didn't make it

Love the Persona callback in Mulholland Drive. I am sure you know the one I mean.

Yea, funny story. Someone had recommended Mulholland Drive to me at... I want to say I was at a friend's house playing M:TG or board games or something back then. This was on a Saturday night, so the next day, I went down to Blockbuster Video and rented the Mulholland Drive DVD. My GF at the time and I watched it, and I remember being fairly angry that i had wasted my time on the thing. GF just shrugged her shoulders and said "some scenes were kind of cool, but that didn't make any sense."

I was so pissed, I drove back to blockbuster just before they closed, handed the DVD to the guy, and said something along the lines of it being the worst **** I had ever seen etc. etc., to which the guy replied that i could grab another film free of charge if I wanted. I don't recall what I picked then, so it was clearly something forgettable.

A funny thing happened, though. The next day, all day, while I was at work, I just couldn't stop thinking about the film. Some tiny, crawling, Lynchian worm was in me brain. By the time I got out of work, I did what anyone who had watched a film the previous night and hated it would do - I went a bought a copy of the DVD. I managed 6 more viewings in the following week. I became rather obsessed with Mulholland Drive for quite a while after that, and still count it among my favorites, even if its hold over me has lessened over time, falling off my Top 10 a while back.
I can imagine that week...

I was about to say that there's no way in hell Dark City makes it on the list, but I see it made your 2010 list. If it did make it now, that would make me very, very happy. Happier if The Matrix didn't make it
I didnt submit a list but I know people who think its an awesome film.

Speaking of Fellini and to follow the tradition of past films on the list, as someone who has only seen 8 1/2, where should I go next?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Speaking of Fellini and to follow the tradition of past films on the list, as someone who has only seen 8 1/2, where should I go next?
Satyricon. It's his next worst film

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Here's a question I was thinking about looking at my list. How many of your 25 have you only seen once? I have 3. I love to rewatch movies but there is so much left out there to see that many times I skip a rewatch for something new. I really value that initial watch too. Maybe more than I should considering my memory. Thoughts?
I have two that I've only seen once, a third film I've seen twice and the rest of them on the Countless Rewatch List.
Quite a few favorites I always go back and we have a number of films we call "Sleeper" that we know by heart and put on when we're close to drifting off to sleep to.

Have not ventured into the land of Fellini so know nada about 8 1/2

BUT, coming in at #2 on my list, a life long favorite:

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid

(repeated) "Who ARE those guys?"

This is the second film I had actually remembered seeing in my very early life at the Drive-In at around 3 years old. (The first was Romeo & Juliet). I remember being utterly heartbroken at the now famous ending. Sitting in the very back of the family station wagon, paralyzed with shock and remorse at the two outlaws I had found so lovable as we pulled away with the credits rolling.
That sadness remained on the countless viewings since then. Even today, knowing the movie back and front, I still feel that pang of sadness as Butch pauses before they step out. "You didn't see Le Fors out there, did ya?" "No." "Good. For a second there, I thought we were in trouble."

With a large part of the film actually correct and what remains being just good entertaining film making, we get a look at one of the final legendary outlaw men of the West; Butch Cassidy aka Robert LeRoy Parker and his partner, The Sundance Kid aka Harry Longabaugh.
An absolutely fun romp brim filled with the charismatic performances of Paul Newman and Robert Redford. The rapport between the two shines in the little nuances, side looks and the sarcastic quips between the two that continues throughout to the final scene.

Directed by George Roy Hill who adds splashes of grittiness and employs, in the opening as well as a montage in the middle, a sepia toned imagery creating a bridge to the turn of the century of 1900 when the actual gang etched their names into the West's History.

Along with the very beautiful Katherine Ross as Etta Place, there is also some great cameos in this film that include Kenneth Mars as the unsuccessful Sheriff attempting to raise a posse in Wixom after the first train robbery, a rather spicy Cloris Leachman playing prostitute Agnes who curls up with Butch during their hiding out from Le Fors and his daunting posse. Strother Martin playing the "colorful", tobacco spitting payroll officer in Bolivia, and, yes, the towering, bass voiced Logan who threatens to take over Butch's gang IS Ted Cassidy who many of us old timers remember as Lurch from the TV Show The Addams Family.

A beloved, very well known movie that is always a delightful watch and, quite obviously, a huge favorite of mine.

Movies Watched 15 out of 20 (75%)
2. Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid (#81)
25. Cyrano de Bergerac (1950) One Pointer

Rectification List
Day of the Jackal (1973) One Pointer
To Kill A Mockingbird (#85) *rewatch*

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Newman & Redford are bosses, #6 from my Western ballot.
Glad Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid made it without my help.
+

Haven't seen 8 ˝, is Kim Basinger in it?

Seen: 15/20

Watchlist:
Suspiria, The Seventh Seal, The Castle of Cagliostro, A Man For All Seasons, Irreversible, Army of Darkness, The 10th Victim, Malena, Sunday in New York, Ikiru, Cabaret, Harold and Maude, 8 ˝

Late response to a question posted a few pages ago.. Next Wilder I'm viewing is Stalag 17 because; Ed + Holden + Real Holden; should be good.

There are no films from my 25 I've seen only once.
Looking forward to what ya think of it.

Nights of Cabiria
La Dolce Vita
Juliet of the Spirits

Amarcord is probably the most densely Felliniesque film, and should be considered simply because of this.

@edarsenal

Your parents took you to see Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid when you were young. My parents took me to see Blazing Saddles.

Now you know why I am like I am

( I hate comedies )

Gosh I hated Blazing Saddles, then again I can't stand Airplane! either.
Watched it for the first time this year, I didn't like it either. Tried to rewatch Airplane a few years ago,that didn't take. I'm afraid to rewatch Naked Gun now. I loved that movie in my teens. Never laughed so hard in a theater.

Gosh I hated Blazing Saddles, then again I can't stand Airplane! either.
I couldn't stand Airplane! as well.

the comedy is downright stupid comedy..

Watched it for the first time this year, I didn't like it either. Tried to rewatch Airplane a few years ago,that didn't take. I'm afraid to rewatch Naked Gun now. I loved that movie in my teens. Never laughed so hard in a theater.
The only thing I like from Mel Brooks is Young Frankenstein and that's because he didn't write it, Gene Wilder did.