Tyler's Revised Top 100

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Lots of love for Die Hard with a Vengeance, Reservoir Dogs and Last Boy Scout. Couldn't get into Chinatown but should give it another go someday. And I've got to say that I really can't stand Kevin Smith or his films.

for Batman, Mulholland Drive, Die Hard, Chinatown and Reservoir Dogs!

Not a huge fan of Jurassic Park, although it's a pretty impressive movie in terms of 'magnitude'.

Haven't seen the rest yet, but they don't really seem like my type of 'favorite movies', I think.
Two great sets, though. Keep up the good work!

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
50. The Godfather Part II (1974)

Best gangster movie of all time? Not quite, but certainly up there with the best. This is definitely my favourite of the trilogy; it takes the operatic approach of the first film and adds a lot of grit and a lot more complexities to each of the characters. This is Coppola's masterpiece, and despite the lack of quality his films began to possess after Apocalypse Now, it's hard to dispute his talent as a filmmaker. Robert De Niro rightly won an Academy Award for his role as a younger Vito Corleone, but it's Al Pacino who truly shines as Michael, brilliantly protraying the character in a subtle manner.

49. The Dark Knight (2008)

Even with it's flawed predecessor and it's incredibly weak finale, the Dark Knight trilogy will be forever remembered as one of the greatest cinematic trilogies of all time, mainly because of the strength of this film. I do think that the trilogy's praise is undeserved, but The Dark Knight is, and always will be, one of the greatest comic book films ever made. It may have set the template for all moody, self-serious, fun-lacking superhero films that followed, but it's important to notice Christopher Nolan's magnificent handling of the material, eliciting strong performances from his cast and mounting an action/crime film that is more in the realm of Michael Mann's Heat than it is in the realm of something like Spiderman.

48. Donnie Darko (2001)

It's a shame Richard Kelly has never been able to follow up the quality of his fantastic debut. It's incredibly fun to decipher what the hell is going on in Donnie Darko, with a hilarious, powerful and kooky script and a fantastic performance from Jake Gyllenhael. Watch the theatrical cut, not the director's cut.

47. Out For Justice (1991)

Oh god... look at the man. He's a picture of badassery, wielding incredible acting talent, fantastic martial arts skills and a cold, steely stare. Forget Brando, **** Olivier... Seagal is the man.

46. Unbreakable (2000)

M. Night Shyamalan's masterpiece and one I can't see him ever bettering. His quality of films may be going rapidly downhill since Signs, but one mus remember the one-two-three punch of The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Signs. This is undoubtedly one of the best films about the superhero mythology, very low-key and engaging. It also features Bruce Willis' best performance to date, giving a subtle, intriguing performance as David Dunn.

That screenshot from Godfather part II somehow always reminds me of Indiana Jones

Got lots of love for Donnie Darko and Unbreakable. The latter of which I think you know after reading my review recently.

45. Scarface (1983)

People say this is too violent, too over the top, too much style over substance... but I love it because it's too violent, too over the top and way too much style over substance. Al Pacino delivers probably my favourite of his performances, delivering his dialogue with gusto and an easy-to-imitate accent. De Palma flashes his camera like a kid with a new bike, delivering the most entertaining rise-and-fall gangster film ever made.

44. Face/Off (1997)

John racks up the Travoltage, while Nic lets it out of the Cage... Classic face-switching action film that was one of the primary films I grew up with. I wore out the videotape and soon bought a dvd copy. Woo's blazing style suits the premise perfectly, turning it from something silly into a serious, entertaining and emotionally engaging action picture.

43. Cliffhanger (1993)

My favourite Stallone film. For all the Rocky films, the Rambos and even the undisputed masterpiece Over The Top, Cliffhanger is my favourite of his films. Renny Harlin's direction mixed with fantastic performances from Stallone, Michael Rooker and John Lithgow are what make this an action masterpiece.

42. The Terminator (1984)

There are many now who prefer this to it's bombastic, effective sequel. I am not one of those people. But I still have a lot of love for the original. It effectively uses the slasher film concept and lends it some sci-fi, some action and a healthy dosage of a well-used Arnie. His performance here is probably his best; one that doesn't require him to act.

41. The Lost Boys (1987)

Not sparkly gay vampires, but cool '80's vampires. Joel Schumacher may incredibly hated, but this is his masterpiece, a film that takes on the very definition of cheese and becomes one of the most entertaining films ever made.

40. Seven Samurai (1954)

I haven't seen much Kurosawa, but I doubt any of his other work will top this. An epic masterpiece, filled with tension, humour, action excitement and emotion. Takeshi Shimura's performance is worth a watch alone and Toshira Mifune is attention grabbing with his wild, wonderful performance.

39. Schindler's List (1993)

Powerful, engaging historical document that deserved a less-"Spielbergy" ending, but still remains one of the most important films ever made.

38. 12 Monkeys (1995)

I love Brazil and all the Monty Python stuff. But this is easily Terry Gilliam's best work. He extracts fantastic performances from his cast (Willis and Pitt are out of this world) and delivers enough quirky style to perfectly complement the quirky premise.

37. Days Of Thunder (1990)

Oh, Tony Scott... you will truly be missed. No one understood the healthy doses of cheese like you did. This is essentially Top Gun on a race track, but in my opinion, far more entertaining and with a way more awesome soundtrack. This is about as far as my interest in motorsport goes.

36. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

One of the movies that got me into film. The darkest, most entertaining and best of the original trilogy.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
ah, the sweet fun of cheesy movies!
Great list and a whole lotta reps on nearly every post.

Oh, if you enjoyed Woo's coming to America flick Face-off, ya may wanna check out some of his movies from China. Hard Boiled and The Killer were my favs

Schindler's List was awesome, and I personally didn't mind the ending.
12 Monkeys was also great, but my personal favorite by Gilliam is Doctor Parnassus.

That last set is a damn fine set of movies. Not crazy about Days Of Thunder, but the fact Cruise's character is called Cole Trickle always makes me laugh, as does Nicole Kidman's 'performance'.

You've been knocking it out of the park with the last couple of sets. Our lists really are going to be so similar. Not seen Scarface, Schindler's List and Days of Thunder but I'm a big-massive fan of everything else.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
incredible acting talent
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.