Scenes of Humiliation

Tools    

Watching In The Company Of Men prompted me to make this thread. (Yes, I know i'm supposed to be finishing my Top 100 but i'm fine tuning a few things )

I have come to realise that sometimes, death scenes aren't the most awful things that can happen to a character. Sometimes scenes of humiliation can be more uncomfortable to see than a death scene.

Now, this is a slightly tricky thread because I imagine people have different views on what constitutes humiliation. This thread can include gross out humour, rape, people made fun of, etc.

Both versions of Haneke's Funny Games had a lot of scenes of humiliation. The scene where one of the antagonists force the husband to make his wife strip in front of them all. Pretty sick stuff.

So can anybody else mention films with such disturbing scenes?

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
The best scene I can think of is Carrie

Hmm, yeah that's a good point
The only scene I can think about at the moment is, in Pulp Fiction, Marcellus's rape (i.e. the Cave scene). He didn't die, but that must hurt and it's rather humiliating.
...there are many others though!
"Like the fella says...in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock!"
- Harry Lime, Vienna, 1948

I forgot all about Carrie to be honest. Yeah, they did some pretty horrific **** to that girl.

Pulp Fiction's infamous rape scene kinda has a bit of dark humour to it, so it never felt as bad as it probably should have been. Good call guys.

You want to post like me?
I say you took the words right out of my mouth...
The Funny Games US. scene was pretty disturbing. Pretty wierd movie all in all.
Another one comes to mind. The scene from Trainspotting. Where one of the guys has had a little "accident" in bed. Not sure if it's allowed to post videos of such things. But when he flung the sheet and the.. Hrm.. content went all over the place... :s

So many good movies, so little time.
The scene in Crash where office Ryan (Matt Dylan) searches Terrance Howard's wife in front of him.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Before anyone else says it; the "squeal like a pig" rape scene from Deliverance. I have more, but I'll get to them later.

If You have never seen this film do not watch this, watch the whole thing, otherwise the pain and humiliation that (Lawrence Monoson ) must have felt in this movie is pretty awful to watch.

Welcome to the human race...
There's quite a few scenes in Blue Velvet that I'd consider "favourites"...

The King of Movies
I find humiliation scenes to be the worst because every one can relate to those types of scenes. Like most actual humiliation scenes could actualy happen.

The scene in The Shawshank Redemption was fairly hard to watch when the fat guy got beat down on his first night.

All good responses guys. You lot have made me remember quite a few.

Igor, great call on that scene from Mean Creek . It's a great scene and like you said, is hard to watch. I had loads in my head the other day but i'm really not able to blurt anything out..

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
The scene in The Shawshank Redemption was fairly hard to watch when the fat guy got beat down on his first night.
You mention the "I'm not even supposed to be here" guy, but you fail to mention Andy's multiple rapings by The Sisters?

I had a few, as well, but can't seem to think of them at the moment.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

The opening scene from Just Friends was pretty traumatizing, for the main character.

...uh the post is up there...

I thought of this one immediately. In American History X where they raid that little grocery store and some of the gang members terrorize that latino lady that works there. They pour milk and food all over her.

The scene where one of the antagonists force the husband to make his wife strip in front of them all.
She's stripping and he's humiliated????

That scene never made any sense to me: the old cons start hollering and the new con alone in his own cell starts boo-hooing (that's gotta be the least crowded prison ever, with private rooms for everyone)? Like he's never heard the old sticks-and-stones advice? And then the guards beat him up for making noise? How'd they ever hear him over the rest of the racket?

It's simply one of those "let's shock 'em with a scarey fake prison scene" ploys. James Cahn gives a much better and more realistic description of adapting to prison life in Thief.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Have you seen The Shape of Things? Don't want to spoil the movie for anyone who hasn't seen it, but yeah, that film. Another LaBute so if you liked In the Company of Men or are for whatever reason seeking humiliation scenes in films, you should check it out.