Top Ten Films of 2007

Tools    

I've been told repeatedly to see No Country for Old Men. I'm going damn it!

Why's there a gun in your trousers?
you should for sure...

My personal faves:

10. Stuck
I had never heard about it, but then again, I have a bad habit of not paying attention to what's going on in the world. (Blasted attention span!)
A story about a homeless guy who gets imbedded into a young woman's car windshield after she hits him with said car, and then, after weighing the consequences of the incident, she decides not to really do anything to help him. She doesn't even bother to try & at least squeegee him off.
And yeah, believe it or not,
they were able to extend this idea into the length of an entire movie.
Goes to show just what humankind is capable of.
No wonder we were able to put a man on the moon.

9. Appleseed Ex Machina
At the time, I thought that this was some of the most updated amazing computer animation in any animated feature.
Simply put, the computer-generated visuals in this film truly have to be seen in order to be believed.
However, even though the story is solid, as the sci-fi epic that Appleseed's visuals aspire to be, it does lack some originality in it's plotline. It is for this reason, combined with the indistinguisnness of the faces (as is usually common for most 3-D anime) that prevented this film from being ranked higher on this list, despite the fact that the graphics are, so far, some of the most favorite that my eyes have ever laid upon.
That said, there wasn't a frame in this movie where I just wasn't completely stunned with awe. The technical details & intricate designs in Ex Machina are some of the most striking ever to be generated on film.
The Transformers looks like they were created by Fisher-Price compared to the hardware these guys are wearing.
A true marvel to behold.

8. Michael Clayton
A movie that, even tho was nominated for a bunch of awards, for me, still feels somewhat under-rated. Corporate corruption revealed more in it's ability to constrict the world of business towards it's own needs more than in its services to actually provide to it's supposed clientele.
A "thinking man's" political thriller in that it's suspense is driven more by the consequences of it's story than it is by action.
George Clooney does a capable job, Tom Wilkinson is always fun to watch, Tilda Swinton is always even more fun to watch, and of course, Michael Clayton is one of the last movies to be produced (along with his final acting role) by the late Mr. Sydney Pollack.

7. Grindhouse
Despite Tarantino's sub-par effort on Death Proof, there was still enough in his half (like the car-chase & the first "car-killing" by the "car-killer") that added to the much superior first half, Planet Terror, a zombie-fest by Robert Rodriguez. And while the shlock that comes with most zombie flicks usually puts me off, Robert Rodriguez's style of depicting his half of The Grindhouse as a caricature of a genre that has already gone cartoonishly over the top, makes this a walking undead gore-a-rama that I could not only stomach, but enjoy as well. Coupled with a modern sense of violence that we've all mindlessly grown to love, it's a zombie action flick of an energetic quality that sparked some life into my usually dead reaction to most shambling corpse fare.
So, if you're into chicks with guns, zombie apocalypeses & amputees (& let's be honest.... who isn't?), then this is the zombie flick for you.

6. Superbad
Back in the day, Michael Jackson may have been the skinny guy who was bad,
but here in the present,
the new skinny king for bad is named McLovin.
And he's not just bad.
He's supe....
well,
you get the picture.

The Apatow train keeps on rolling, this time with a high school coming of age that seems to blend the 70's bluntness of Animal House like films with those of the 80's Pretty In Pink/16 Candles sensibilities of John Hughes' works, all capped off with the modern in your face sly banter that is Apatow's signature.

5. The Bourne Ultimatum
The spy theme was never really one of my favorite genres. Therefore I avoided the first Bourne flick when it came out in theatres. However, when I did catch it on TV, I was surprised & impressed by it's ability to both keep me intrigued & "thrilled". I rented the second, which I liked even better & it resulted in me making the effort of seeing the third in theatres. After the Ultimatum, the Bourne Trilogy became for me one those extremely rare trilogies where each successive movie actually was consistantly better than the one that preceded it. I can't get away from looking at this movie as part of it's collective whole, with the Ultimatum acting as an intelligent bad-ass ending to an intelligent bad-ass series.

4. Ratatouille
Ratatouille is a prime example of the potential that 3-D animation can achieve on film.
The idea of combining the points of views of both rodent & restauranteer made this a great vehicle for integrating sharper & more creative angles in the storytelling and that could only be achieved at the level that it did through the use of this medium. For my money, it's where the heart & beauty of this movie lies.

3. American Gangster
A great crime drama in a time when such films have become rare without the boost of big banging shoot-em up guns blasting away.
Though based on a real story of a drug kingpin & the police detective determined to bring him down, the film goes down the path of the ever prevalent poetic licensing that these types of films tend to take, in order to focus more on the story of the rise & fall of an Amarican gangster whose distrubution of only the purest of heroin whilst eliminating the "middleman" changed the way drugs became distributed on the streets.
Denzel Washington plays the crimelord who sees his only option towards the American Dream is his wry combination of street-savy intellect & non-hesitant ruthlessness. Russell Crowe seemlessly tackles the part of the leader of a police task-force whose unwavering straight-edged honesty serves as both crutch & "cure" to the corrupt laden NYC precincts.
Both actors move through their respective roles with a chemistrytic ease that can only result from two artisans both comfortable & confident with their craft.

2. Knocked Up
Two years earlier, Judd Apatow scored big with 40 Year Old Virgin, a comedy that explores the ups & downs of trying to get laid. He follows up with what is in my opinion, his 2nd. best effort, Knocked Up, a film that explored the ups & downs that can come after getting laid.
And though this movie doesn't measure up as strongly as Virgin, it still does a great job of combining laugh out loud comedy with a story of modern male maturity & the female process of pregancy. And it does so in a manner that tries to hit it's points passed the humor, all the while, allowing enough room for the characters to develope into more than just vehicles that are delivering their punchlines.

1. 300
Okay, personally, I thought that the limited comicbook series was just okay.
But then Zack Snyder & the writers took Frank Miller's story & used this movie to add a whole different dimension to the telling of this early historic battle. While the story itself suffered a bit because it had to be shorten into a "two-hour" movie ( or however long this thing ran), it seemed to be made up by the surrealist matrix-like effects that were used to enhance the story-telling in a manner such as when an artist uses a new medium for his/her artwork.
In this history epic, I have seen the future of kick-ass type of storytelling.
And it works.

2007 wasn't exactly the strongest year in movies but here it goes.

Best films of 2007 in no specific order.

1) No Country For Old Men
2) Atonement
3) There Will Be Blood
4) The Simpsons Movie
5) Grindhouse
6) 3:10 To Yuma
7) Across the Universe
8) The Kingdom
9) Charlie Wilson's War
10) Juno

Nice to see Charlie Wilson's War getting a mention.

It's also good to see Grindhouse in these top 10's, though how anyone prefered Rodriguez's so-so goo-fest over Tarantino's superb grindhouse homage, is beyond me.

mr brooks was pretty neat.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
1. Zodiac
2. Sunshine
3. There Will Be Blood
4. The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
5. Hot Fuzz
6. Superbad
7. Knocked Up
8. 300
9. Ratatouille
10. The Simpsons Movie

I Am Legend
Before the Devil Know's You're Dead
Sicko
Zodiac
American Gangster
The Bourne Ultimatum
3:10 to Yuma
No Country for Old Men
Letters from Iwo Jima

I'm pretty sure that i've forgot something.

10. 300
9. Grindhouse
8. The Nines
7. Beowulf
6. The Host
5. Juno
4. There Will Be Blood
3. No Country for Old Men
2. Zodiac
1. The Assassination of Jesse James
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

10- Longford
9- Mongol
8- The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
7- No Country For Old Men
6- There Will Be Blood
5- 4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days
4- My Winnipeg
3- In the Shadow of the Moon
2- Ratatouille
1- Shotgun Stories

Is white trash beautiful
1.Rataouille
2.Sunshine
3.The Last King of Scottland
4.Im Not There
5.Into The Wild
6.This is England
7.Eastern Promises
8.The Darjeeling Limited
9.The Assassination of Jesse James
10.American Gangster

A Romanian movie "4 luni, 3 săptămâni şi 2 zile" or "4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days" by Cristian Mungiu. Won Palme d'Or same year.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
#1 - Michael Clayton
#2 - Into The Wild
#3 - 3:10 To Yuma
#4 - The Orphanage
#5 - 300
#6 - Hot Fuzz
#7 - 28 Weeks Later
#8 - Death Proof
#9 - Gone Baby Gone
#10 -Charlie Wilson's War

Stunning year! No particular order, might miss a few, but here are ten greats

There Will be Blood
Michael Clayton
Ratatouille
The Simpsons Movie
Grindhouse
I am legend
Gone baby Gone
The Great Debaters
Disturbia

Disturbia and 1408 are such underrated horrors.

No Country was crap, Coen brothers worse film.

I really have to see Shotgun Stories

In random order.

Away From Her
There Will Be Blood
No Country For Old Men
Atonement
Juno
Michael Clayton
Into the Wild
The Savages
The Assassination of Jessee James
La Vie en rose

Edgar Allan Poe

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'll give this a go:

1. Gone Baby Gone
2. The Bucket List
3. American Gangster
4. No Country for Old Men
5. Ratatouille
6. Shooter
7. Reign Over Me
8. Disturbia
9. Transformers
10. Juno

Think it was a good year for film. I thought 300 was 2006 or I would squeeze it in at 10.

My top 10 for 2007:

1) The Savages (Jenkins)
2) Juno (Reitman)
3) Into the Wild (Penn)
4) There Will Be Blood (Anderson)
5) Lars and the Real Girl (Gillespie)
6) The King of Kong (Gordon)
7) The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Dominik)
8) An American Crime (O'Haver)
9) Ratatouille (Bird)
10) Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (Lumet)

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Mine:

1. Ballast
2. Once
3. Control
4. Death Proof
5. The Assassination ....
6. Persepolis
7. King of Kong...
8. The Diving -Bell and the Butterfly
9. 3:10 to Yuma
10. Rogue