The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

No Country for Old Men undoubtably would have placed very highly on the MoFo Westerns List...but we took a vote and the majority decided it was too much of a hybrid to include, so we made it ineligible. It is much more of a Neo Western than it is a Neo Noir, but...here we are.
Now that you mention it, that does actually sound familiar. I might've seen that at the time, but since I hadn't seen the film then, I didn't retain the information since it wasn't important to my ballot either way.

I was really on the fence about whether or not to include it on my neo-noir list, and that indecisiveness was the reason why I didn't. It's definitely a hard film to categorize, but that's also part of what makes it interesting.

Ok, people rounds are squares and moneys on the double! Let's see those bets for the #10 Spot, c'mon! We have...

10. Mulholland Drive
I'm gonna guess Blade Runner for #10 for no particular reason.
Two points for a Coen brothers trifecta with Blood Simple, one point for Le Samourai, one point for Mulholland Drive, one point for Blade Runner. Anyone else?

A system of cells interlinked
10. Mulholland Drive

I think the overall fan base for this film is just a bit smaller than many think, so I will take a shot at it not making the top 5...

AWARDS?

Fargo received a lot of nominations and awards. These are some of the most notable:
  • Seven (7) Academy Award nominations, including a win for Best Actress (Frances McDormand)
  • Six (6) BAFTA Film Award nominations, including the David Lean Award for Direction (Joel Coen)
  • Four (4) Critics Choice Award nominations, including a win for Best Picture
  • Three (3) Saturn Award nominations, including a win for Best Action/Adventure/Thriller Film
  • Two (2) Cannes Film Festival nominations, including a win for Best Director (Coen)

AWARDS?

No Country for Old Men received a sh!tload of nominations and awards. These are some of the most notable:
  • Nine (9) BAFTA Film Award nominations, including the David Lean Award for Direction (Joel & Ethan Coen)
  • Eight (8) Academy Award nominations, including a win for Best Picture
  • Seven (7) Satellite Award nominations, including a win for Best Motion Picture
  • Four (4) Golden Globe Award nominations, including a win for Best Supporting Actor (Javier Bardem)
  • One (2) Cannes Film Festival nomination for the Palme d'Or

Which one? c'mon!

I'll tell you all about it....
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
right after we come back from these following commercials!

100% 13/13 3:46
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

While we wait for the reveal, have some fun with a simple game:

Neo-Noir by actors
I wasted nearly half my time trying to spell the first part of
WARNING: spoilers below
Mulholland Drive
correctly even though I'd recently seen it written correctly in this very thread haha

17lists256points
Mulholland Drive
Director

David Lynch, 2001

Starring

Naomi Watts, Laura Harring, Justin Theroux, Ann Miller

TRAILERS

Mulholland Drive - An amnesiac woman walks out of a car crash and pairs up with a young aspiring actress to discover the mystery of her identity, which leads them through a twisting journey full of weird characters.

NOIR OR NOT? - MULHOLLAND DRIVE ('01)

Noir expert Eddie Muller talks about the film, which he calls one of his "Top 5 favorite films of all time"

Ahhh, Mulholland Drive *chef kiss* A film that holds the distinction of having me watch it two or three times literally back-to-back (another film that might make the countdown has that same distinction). Regardless of how you feel or what you think, I don't think many people can deny how mesmerizing and puzzling it is, and I just felt so drawn to that. I've seen it numerous times since and I just love it even more. Here's a review I wrote after my latest rewatch, but also a bit of it:

I think the way Lynch manages to pull and create emotion out of this web of seemingly unrelated and unexplainable events is simply magical, peaking with that magnificent scene at Club Silencio. It is here that Betty and Rita's movie-like pretensions must come to an end, as they are forced to face the realities of their past; something that they might've tried too hard to hide and yet is crying to come out.
It's an impressive film, my favorite Lynch film, and just one of my favorite films, period. I had it at #9.

SEEN: 65/91
MY BALLOT: 19/25

My ballot  

10. Mulholland Drive

I think the overall fan base for this film is just a bit smaller than many think, so I will take a shot at it not making the top 5...
Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!!!

Sedai for the win!

As I said before, I don't like David Lynch's brand of weird, so I didn't like Mulholland Drive. I'm glad to see it show today though because it means the four films I voted for that I still expect to show are even higher.

List facts!

This is David Lynch's third entry in the countdown, after Lost Highway (#55) and Blue Velvet (#13). He also placed Wild at Heart pretty close at #109.