The MoFo Top 100 of the 80s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Sadly, I have never watched A Christmas Story from point A to point B. But from what I've seen, I didn't like it much. And haven't heard of the other one.

You mean a Soviet film!
Oops. I hate it when people call all people from former USSR countries Russian and I just did it myself ...

So yes, Soviet (or Ukrainian I guess).

I always make sure i watch A Christmas Story at the holidays, massive childhood favourite for me but i don't think i voted for it. I will get around to The Decalogue at some point as i love the Three Colours Trilogy especially Blue and Red.

I've not seen either. I was born in 1996 and I think a Christmas Story is more a childhood film.

The Decalog interest me a lot, but I haven't seen it

I have seen a little bit of pieces of The Christmas Story, but I can see why it is in the MOFO 80's list for sure.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Just watch my list instead
I don't have your list.

Decalogue is glorious, but I didn't include it on my list. I remember watching it in two days.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Exterminate all rational thought.
A Christmas Story almost made my list, but fell just short. Still a great movie, I watch it at least once every Xmas season. Haven't seen The Decalogue, but I am a big fan of the Three Colors Trilogy so I will have to watch it now...

6/12 seen
0/25 from my list

100. Hannah and Her Sisters- '... I don't even know how the can opener works!' One of the great moments of the decade. A few other good ones as well.

99. Stop Making Sense- Ought to cheer anyone up. Not far from my list.

98. Modern Romance- MY LIST: 10- Smart, funny and utterly charming.

97. Rocky IV- A ropey movie that is a ton of stupid fun due to its explosive bombast, simple dynamics and larger than life caricatures. Oh wait, that is Rocky III. Rocky IV is tortuous dreck, terrible in every way.

96. Near Dark- OK

95. Stranger than Paradise- Jarmusch is a man of style and taste, but this is not much fun.

94. A Visitor To A Museum- Not seen yet

93. The Untouchables- Adequate silly action movie.

92. Blood Simple- Full of atmosphere and promise.

91. The Outsiders- Not seen yet

What is with people's love for Near Dark?!
It's brilliant and cool. In fact, it's so brilliant and cool that Bill Paxton's in it and I still love it.

Just a thought on the blood transfusion argument in Near Dark- I think the vampires enjoy being vampires, and having immortality. I don't see any evidence that they want to be human. Sure, the small one complained about being a man in a boy's body, but we all complain about something. I don't think you can compare them to someone dying from aids.
Also, there's no indication that this is "how vampires are cured" as common knowledge. This is the only thing the father could think of. It is a cop out, so I can understand why it derails the film for some. At no point is it ever acknowledged that any of the vampires are aware this has or does work.

So what I'm getting is that for something to be 80s, it should line up well with white American culture of the time, that you saw.
Um, yep. That's pretty much it. It also helps if you were under 20, too.

It'll be better when we get to 70s and 60s because Sexy won't be able to have an opinion other than NO, SURELY NOT NO….NO ONE WAS ALIVE THEN
TBF, the 70's will be better because, along with the 90's, that's the best decade for everything.

I've not seen The Christmas Story, but it doesn't look like something I'd care for. The Decalogue shouldn't be on the list because it isn't a film. A vote for A Short Film About Killing or A Short Film About Love would've been fine, the tv series shouldn't have been allowed.

Sorry, this is kind of off topic but I didn't want to make a new thread for the question I have. I wanted to ask though, what exactly does one have to do to create a list like this. I'd honestly like to try and make a top 50 to 100 animated films list sometime in the near future but while reading how it's done here so I kinda get the idea, I don't honestly know if there are any other requirements for doing one of these. Do I have to be here so long, have an x amount of posts, does my time frame for allowing people to enter in their opinion have to be the same as this thread's is/was? If anyone could help me figure out the basics or show me that this is something MoFo members want, I'd really appreciate it.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Sometimes I talk to friends and family and I feel like I've watched an awful lot of movies. Then I come here and realise I really haven't.

I haven't heard of A Christmas Story and would be interested to hear why people like it. Have heard of The Decalogue, but not seen any of it.

A Christmas story was only a few spots away from making my list, I think it was actually the final movie I eliminated. A fun and cozy family movie, and since I just caught it last Christmas, I look forward to watching it again this year. A replica leg lamp would also be cool to own

Haven't seen A decalogue and have had missed experiences with Kileowski in the past

I didn't vote for A Christmas Story but I do like it. I wonder if it may be the most watched movie of the decade.

I never heard of the other one. I just looked it up and it looks good, but I didn't realize a TV mini-series would be eligible. I don't really think it should be.

Seen: 6/12
Voted for 1/12

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Haven't seen The Decalogue. A Christmas Story has hilarious parts to it and is something I look forward to around that time of year.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I didn't vote for A Christmas Story but I do like it. I wonder if it may be the most watched movie of the decade.

I never heard of the other one. I just looked it up and it looks good, but I didn't realize a TV mini-series would be eligible. I don't really think it should be.

Seen: 6/12
Voted for 1/12
Yeah, Lonesome Dove would have made my list if I had thought mini-series were acceptable.