The Videogames Tab

Tools    

I can't understand why Remedy stopped the PC version, it is a rather small team though - so focusing on tailoring the game directly for consoles isn't getting me angry (since my PC would never be able to play Wake anyway).

The People's Republic of Clogher
News for Dragon Age fans on PS3 - Bioware are finally getting round to releasing a patch to stop the freezing on firmware 3.30 Playstations.

I Platinumed it earlier today.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
My son has gone back to playing Crackdown It is a real good game to play Has anyone played it?

In the Beginning...
You might not love it, anyway. It sounds/looks like it's going to be a lot more action-y than it seemed it would be earlier in the game's development.
Yeah, I was hoping it would be a little more Syriana in design, but the action looks delightfully clunky, so I'm hoping it's a retrospective back to the Resident Evil/Silent Hill era. I actually like the frantic nature of it.

At least the daytime cycles will be relatively free of combat, though. Everything I've read says that the majority of the game's dangerous encounters happen at night.

A system of cells interlinked
I know, I know -- a lot scarier and more intense than I originally hoped. But honestly, at this point, I'm just feeling ornery and stubborn about it. I've been following this game for literally YEARS and NOW they pull the PC version? Please.
I read an article in a tech magazine this past weekend in which they state that PC gaming, outside of the massively multiplayer genre, has just flat out tanked into the toilet, so a lot of developers are just getting rid of their departments that were focused on PC games.

The end of an era. Bummer.

Of course, the magazine couldn't help but take a shot at Farmville, citing it as one of the main culprits in the decline of "AAA" games, whatever that means.

I think what they mean is, shovelware like farmville is becoming more popular, and is eefectiong what gets made, due to demand. So, games that have the AAA status (basicalle awesome) aren't being made as they aren't selling or as popular to game like Farmville and stuff that popcap make. Though I do like me Peggle Nights myself.

A system of cells interlinked
Sorry for more WOW clutter folks, but I have to try at least once.

Recruiting for a 10 man raid team in a pretty casual guild. No set raiding schedule as of yet, as we are still getting the team together, and we have 3 open slots. The best candidates would be a dual spec'ed Druid and a dual spec'ed Death Knight with Rogue coming in third. We have both healer slots filled, but we are still short 1 tank and 2 DPS. Id love to see a rogue in the third slot we have open. We have Priest and Shaman heals running, so we have no battle resurrection capability - the Druid is pretty much a must. Also need Dk utility/buffs with the option to tank Frost/Blood if needed.

If anyone plays and is interested in hooking up with us for some raiding, ship me a PM. We play on Cenarius at the moment, but that may change down the road. This is a casual/fun guild, so hard core people need not apply.

I'm gonna try WoW again someday. I think.

Picked up Alan Wake just now - My campaign for normal-named video game characters may well be resurrected: Derek Nukam Forever! Colin Strife! Mervyn Payne! Sharon Croft!

Aaaanyway, couldn't find 3D Dot Game Heroes anywhere so did something possibly silly and bought Nier which could turn out to be a very quick trade.

EDIT - I think PC versions of popular console titles are hurting because of some iffy programming. Ok, it has to do a lot more things at once but my PC is far more powerful than, say, a 360 but stuff like Resident Evil 5 just chugs along at similar resolutions to the slick console version. I can pick up a 360 for £120-odd while a dedicated gaming PC, even if I build it myself, is gonna be a heck of a lot more expensive.

PC ports are, sadly, an afterthought in many cases and companies are increasingly deciding not to even bother catering for that section of the market.

Recently started renting some games and for 2 days I played 4 games none of them interesting got the new Skate 3(crap) probably its easier to learn how to skate rather to learn how to play that game then it was the Wanted: Weapons of fate(even bigger crap) last night I got Darksiders(god of war spinoff but crappier) so I am back to modern warfare 2 ou and occasional we are playing Assassins Creed 2 which has a lot of potential

Please rise! I have have finish Silent Hill: The Room. Ahhh one less thing for my mind to ponder. Next Ghostbusters: The Video Game on ps3. I just hate how rule number one is dont cross the streams, HAVE YOU SEEN THE LASERS THAT COME OUT OF THOSE THINGS??? Hardly slick beams but as a big Ghostbusters fan irregardless of its cheesy graphics and storyline I know Im going to have fun

Funny you should mention Silent Hill for that was what sprang to mind as soon as I started up Alan Wake. I'm not a big survival horror fan but hopefully AW will turn out more like Silent Hill 2 and not the substandard last couple of titles. It's a gorgeous looking game, though, but one probably best played when I've got the curtains drawn - not to enhance the woooooo! scary! atmosphere but my telly's calibrated more for night-time viewing and I can't be bothered fiddling with it so I can see more clearly.

Nier doesn't look too bad. A JRPG which doesn't feature a whiny 14 year old as the lead character is something to be treasured, I guess.

The Adventure Starts Here!
ARGH! I have to wait till Tuesday!
As do we here. Is it releasing earlier in Europe? Of course it is, right? We get movies first; they get video games first.

Anyway, if Yoda's still reading this thread: Is your brother going to get this game? If not, and if *I* buy it, would he let you bring over his Xbox360 next weekend so you/I/Lady C could play the game a little? I'd send the game back with you then....

In the Beginning...
As do we here. Is it releasing earlier in Europe? Of course it is, right? We get movies first; they get video games first.
Yeah, it released today in Europe, but only because Remedy is a Dutch developer and (I'm assuming) the distributor is overseas. We get first crack at games developed in America, so it's a trade-off. Remember, getting video games last in the U.S. used to be true only because at one time everything came from Japan.

Strange that Alan Wake's released here first, if anything we're usually a few days behind the US. Yeah, it's probably something to do with a European developer but it's an American console...

I might give it a crack once I'm off the keyboard but have been playing an hour or so of Nier. I'm quite liking it - The graphics are PS2 standard but it's reasonably mature in theme (mature not 'adult' even though it has a fantastically sweary opening bit every time you boot up the game) and combat is fast-paced, though it seems a bit repetitive. Combat reminds me a bit of the Star Ocean games with the bonus of not controlling rank JRPG stereotypes although it's nowhere near as polished.

It is a bit easy, though.

Has anyone tried Resonance of Fate? It kinda got lost in all the Final Fantasy hype.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Grand Theft Auto IV is awesome--great replay-ability, you can do anything you want. Although I often find myself on a roof with a sniper rifle and grenades. I will seek therapy tomorrow, but for tonight it's all destruction and chaos.

Picked up 3D Dot Game Heroes (note to BritFos: it's cheaper in Asda than most places I looked online - £25 instore) and it's certainly a fun little game.

Been mucking about with the character editor mainly, to come up with my ideal hero.

Behold, Sammy! The true Hero of Ulster/Dotnia, never banding in his quest to find a traditional route through the wilderness.

Bowler hat? Check. Orange sash? Check. Moustache? Check.

I'll get better at the editor, promise.

EDIT - Any resemblance to a living person is purely deliberate.

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
You're a legend Tacitus!

I'm playing A Link to the Past and so far I actually think it might become my favourite Zelda game