Metaphysical paradox

Tools    

Okay, so you all know by now that I am a non-theist, or "atheist." I always get roped into philosophical debates with my brother-in-law, and I managed to stump him using a line of basic reasoning. One of my problems with Religion, besides the scientific hurtles, is the basic logical inconsistencies.

It is said that God is the Aplha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. Now in the scientific corner, Newton's first law of motion states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. So, both scientifically and Biblically we are now on the same page. Now, the common belief is that God is pure and is the source of all that is virtuous and good. My question is; where did evil come from? According to Genesis all that is manifest is solely from the divine creator, so God had to create evil, which in it's self is essentially evil. Now going back to Newton, cause I love mixing two things as compatible as science and religion, the force that would be known as evil had to already have been presnent in some state within God himself. He was the only thing in existence pre-universe, hence everything is a direct result of the force called God.

Please do not be disrespectful or ignorant, I am simply stating a fundemental problem within Biblical texts.
With due respect, the thing that most bothers me about by-the-Book Christians and the atheists who love to tease them is that here are two polar opposites who both believe they have it all nailed down. But like comic Brother Dave Gardner (look him up) used to say, "If it's all nailed down, then what is this all around it?" Most members of both groups are basing their beliefs on what others before them have written or said. Most religious people haven't actually seen God or his angels. And most atheist haven't actually perform the scientific experiments and studies that they quote. In fact, they're most alike in that both assume things they as individuals can't possibly know. I've read that even some of Einstein's theories have since been proven wrong. But I haven't run the mathematics or done the experiments myself, so I just don't know.

Evil is not necessarily a thing; it can be described as the absence of a thing; the absence of good.

Regardless, the problem of evil is probably among the oldest and most-discussed theological concepts, and the answer is quite simple: free will. God does not need to create evil for it to exist, God merely needs to decide that the importance of giving beings control over their own lives outweighs even the terrible things they may choose to do with them.
Good and evil are simply expressions of man's free will, which exists whether or not there is a God. Man often assigns good and evil values to things of nature or of chance, the same way people see human characteristics in dogs and cats and dolphins, etc.

A flood kills hundreds of people in China, a volcano wipes out a South Sea island, a swimmer is eaten by a shark, your neighbor dies in a house fire. Are those acts of evil or acts of nature? Is a shark or bear evil because it follows its natural (or God-given, whatever) instincts in making a meal of another less-fit animal, even if that animal is human? Good and evil are simply human judgments imposed rather randomly. Most societies view lynching as evil because a mob operating outside the law elects to kill another person without due process or trial simply because of public prejudice against that person. A war can be good or evil, depending on one's point of view, which in turn is the result of one's free will, which can be God-given or natural.

My question is; where did evil come from? According to Genesis all that is manifest is solely from the divine creator, so God had to create evil, which in it's self is essentially evil.
That the creation of evil is 'evil' is a moral judgement on your part.

If there is a god, and this god is omniscient, then he\she\it could not create anything unknown to itself.

If, as it says in the biblical text, god created satan, who by all appearances turned against him, then one has to assume that satan was created as part of god's larger plan and that everything satan could do is known already by god. The motivations of something so much larger than ourselves may escape our understanding. In fact it MUST be of an understanding that is wider than our capabilities or we would all equal god.

Originally Posted by rufnek
With due respect, the thing that most bothers me about by-the-Book Christians and the atheists who love to tease them is that here are two polar opposites who both believe they have it all nailed down.
Exactly.

Personally I have no problem with the concept of god/a god. It's when things start getting specific (ie a specific religion) that the interpretation of men starts clouding the waters.

Obviously life is THE mystery, followed closely by all things that support it. We can observe some things about it but IMHO people who are absolutely certain about anything have made a bunch of stuff up (or follow those who have) to fill in the gaps of understanding.

I have no inherent need to explain it all. For the time being, I'm happy riding the wave.

there's a frog in my snake oil
With due respect, the thing that most bothers me about by-the-Book Christians and the atheists who love to tease them is that here are two polar opposites who both believe they have it all nailed down. But like comic Brother Dave Gardner (look him up) used to say, "If it's all nailed down, then what is this all around it?" Most members of both groups are basing their beliefs on what others before them have written or said. Most religious people haven't actually seen God or his angels. And most atheist haven't actually perform the scientific experiments and studies that they quote. In fact, they're most alike in that both assume things they as individuals can't possibly know. I've read that even some of Einstein's theories have since been proven wrong. But I haven't run the mathematics or done the experiments myself, so I just don't know.
Fair points, but surely there's a distinction in that you could have a bash at delving into the Einsteinian maths etc if you really wanted to, whereas tracking down an angel might prove somewhat harder?

And i think there's a fair bit of 'gut calling' going on which can be seen of as independent of any big speakers on either side. (Everyone likes to fire that nail-gun wildly from time to time after all )

When we analyze prayer with statistics, we find no evidence that God is "answering prayers."
Maybe what your statistics really proved is that the answer to prayers often is "No." Answering prayers is not the same as granting prayers.

In all honesty praying creeps me out. While I don't hold religious people their beliefs against them, I personally think religion is BS frankly. But that's just me.

Just to make a point..
"Several studies have found Sweden to be one of the most atheist countries in the world."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism

Also. Do keep in mind we take in a lot of people from Muslim countries (among other religions) every year, and that we are by numbers a tiny little country, so the percentage of those actually believing in a higher presence will affect the total percentage more than say Russia or USA.

Beware The Probe!
God created man in his own image (spiritually, not physically).
God created evil and gave us free will to test us to see if we were worthy of that gift.

You're spot on Yoda. But for the sake of argument. In your opinion what proof is there that there is a god? I mean there are gasses that don't smell, can't be seen or otherwise be identified with our human senses. But science can. So I'm curious. How can anyone claim something to exist when they can't prove it?
Sometimes you just need faith.

As far as I (or any individual) know, I am the only thing in this universe that I know without a doubt is real.
Everything else I have ever known or seen has happened through my mind's awareness of those things.
For all I really know, I am the only certainty and all of you and the entire universe is all part of my own mind.

Can you prove to me that you exist?

Show me irrefutable proof that you and science are not a part of my imagination.
That you are not a dream my mind has conjured up.
That you aren't some program running in a matrix somewhere set to entertain me.
Nothing you do or say can ever truely prove you are as real as me.

Yet somehow I still have faith that you and your world of science are all real.

God created evil and gave us free will to test us to see if we were worthy of that gift.

As far as I (or any individual) know, I am the only thing in this universe that I know without a doubt is real.
Everything else I have ever known or seen has happened through my mind's awareness of those things.
For all I really know, I am the only certainty and all of you and the entire universe is all part of my own mind.

Show me irrefutable proof that you and science are not a part of my imagination.

You seem to be deviating into Plato's cave, I am pointing out what you just stated, if there was a God He would in fact hold the same weaknesses as man, which would nullify any idea of an inherently "good" will.

...uh the post is up there...

Yeah that shouldn't be so difficult.

Well I'm not saying that I'm not. But if so, then god is an imagination as well. Hence "not real"..
<edit>If by "your imagination" you mean things projected by your brain, then that would make everything unreal.

It's like people saying "How do you know my blue is perceived the way you perceive it?"

The answer is simple - It don't matter, because from the time we learn what blue looks like, that will always be blue to us. For someone else it might be our red, but we don't know that. Nobody can ever be sure two people are seeing the same shade of color. All they can agree on is that X shade is known as X color.

You're spot on Yoda. But for the sake of argument. In your opinion what proof is there that there is a god?
There is no proof. Which leads into your next question...

I mean there are gasses that don't smell, can't be seen or otherwise be identified with our human senses. But science can. So I'm curious. How can anyone claim something to exist when they can't prove it?
I have two responses to this:

1) We all claim things to exist when we can't prove it. We all do it, all the time. We all believe in things we've never seen, conclusions we've never reached ourselves, and historical figures that only exist on paper. Burdens of proof vary from subject to subject, but nearly all human progress is based on the idea that we can and should believe things that other people have done or demonstrated somehow, without always doing all the legwork ourselves. There is no grand rule of logic which makes it inherently unreasonable to form conclusions about things for which there is no absolute proof.

2) Certain things are outside of the realm of empirical observation and the scientific method. Questions like morality, purpose, and God. These things matter, but can't be measured. This is where philosophy (or theology) comes in. The only way to determine whether or not these things exist -- and what they may be like, if they do -- is with simple reason.

It's the science of thought, really; a series of experiments inside your mind. It must follow rules of logic and consequence. It's the same sort of thought process that gives us the scientific method, but applied to things we can't fit inside a bunsen burner. A conclusion based on sound philosophy is every bit as valid as a conclusion based on sound science.

A system of cells interlinked
Don't forget love, Chris!

Oo, sweet, that's even further out there than the Gaia theories (All they need to do is mix in chaos theory and they could blame it all on bad butterfly breeders or something )
Yeah, like I said, I don't believe it. But I'm not sure I could dismiss it as impossible, either. Though perhaps you could? No idea. I just couldn't stand the idea of thinking of a possibility and not mentioning it.

For sure, but how would that effect the apparent nullification of free will engendered by mass deaths? (And there is still a question of why a perfect God would see the need for checks and balances of such an apparently destructive order).
I don't think free will is nullified by those sorts of things, really. If it was, a mere murderer would be said to have the power to take away our free will. But neither takes away our ability to make independent choices; it just takes away our life.

Again, this is probably a pointless distinction for anyone who's actually dying, but it's an important distinction nonetheless. Killing someone takes away their choices, but not their ability to choose, if you get my meaning.

To be fair, i think the "everyone's now in heaven & hell" argument is a fair enough get-out clause for a theist when it comes to natural disasters (It just gets scant traction with atheists/agnostics ). It also fits with the 'tough love' God you describe, in many ways. (I would question where the chance for redemption goes in such a mass wipeout though. Might not some of 'the bad' have been working their karmic way to a better state of being at the time the lights got put out en masse etc?)
I'm glad you picked up on the "tough love" God idea, because I think it's very important. Now and then I'll catch myself dismissing an idea about God because I don't like it, and I'll have to remind myself that it can be true, anyway, and if it is it would be for reasons bigger than I can comprehend. And as you say about the "life is bigger than this life" idea, it's not a sentiment that plays well in these discussions, but it's undeniably both convenient and perfectly reasonable.

Re: whether or not some of the "bad" people could be working their way towards becoming good people. I think so, yes. Though at that point we're getting into questions of redemption that I don't understand and probably won't ever claim to. It seems a small thing to accept that, if God exists as I believe He does, that there are easy ways to make allowances for things. Or that the line simply has to be drawn somewhere.

A tougher problem is the disease & deprivation end of free-will limitation i feel (including that which follows natural disasters). The tough-love idea still works in many ways, but it does feel a bit 'armchair'. It's very easy to praise Job-like stoicism in the face of suffering etc from a distance, but as you suggest, something else to live through it.
Absolutely true. What I wonder, though, is whether this makes it more objective, or less objective.

This idea seems to pop up all over the place in any political or religious debate. People in favor of public welfare programs will insist that people opposed to it don't know what it's like. People in favor of abortion rights will suggest that people opposed to them should put themselves in the shoes of a young pregnant girl. People against the death penalty should think of how they would feel if their own loved one was killed. Et cetera.

On one hand, this seems reasonable. There are many experiences of heartache and pain that change our opinions about these things. But should they? That, I'm less sure of. I know there are certain things that have an important human element, and must be experienced to be understood. But I don't know if that understanding is the kind that allows us to genuinely comprehend the matter, or just the kind that allows us to genuinely relate to people who have suffered through it.

If I lost a loved one, some of my thoughts on this site would probably seem glib and heartless to me in retrospect. I would understand the pain involved and might come to a different conclusion. But would I really have a better understanding of the issue, or would my emotions simply be clouding my judgments?

After all, there's a reason we don't let the families of a murder victim choose the killer's punishment. There's a reason judges and lawyers have to recuse themselves from trials involving people they know. We all recognize that being close to an event can compromise your objectivity. Is human suffering different? I admit, I'm not sure. I am convinced that the philosophies I'm expressing are sound, but I'm almost as convinced that I'd temper them if I suffered great loss.

This is all just a long way of saying that I agree with you: it does seem to make sense as an explanation, and it does seem glib, anyway.

The 'hardest question' though surely has to be young kids born with severely limiting and/or painful conditions. Are they partially 'avatars of suffering' from which we are expected to learn? What of their limited options for free will, their slanted starting point of less capability for evil combined with increased excuses for wishing it (given their tormented life). That is very tough love indeed - from the perspective of the individual, & again on the broader scale of why God has chosen a world that works along such lines, where such lessons are necessary at all.
I think this is trickier, because there are many, many reasons why people can be born with these conditions. A careless mother could cause it. There could be some kind of genetic abnormality that stems from God-knows-what (no pun intended in the phrasing, I promise). There are so many billions of variables that I don't think we can possibly determine whether or not such things are the result of our own actions, directly or indirectly, or some cruel God-assigned fate. I'm generally of the belief that even the seemingly random events have an underlying order that we haven't yet discovered, as you know from many other discussions.

Nah, not sure i buy this sub-perfect argument. We have an existing scale that suggests God can make healthy humans, but chooses not too in some cases, or allows virulent diseases & apparently arbitrary conditions to strike them regardless of the morality of their actions (or so it often seems - and would you argue otherwise? Are those hit by brain cancer evil? Do malarial mosquitoes seek out the ethically unsound? Would be a stretch to argue that way no? )
Yes, that'd be a stretch, except insofar as I think all people are deeply flawed (don't know if I'd use the word "evil" to describe most of us, of course). But I certainly wouldn't suggest that people afflicted by life-threatening conditions are reliably worse than your average person.

But, back to the sub-perfect arguments. What don't you think works about it? If we didn't have earthquakes or cancer, why couldn't the same point be made about more frivolous things?

Don't forget love, Chris!
D'oh! And the greatest of these is love! How stupid am I? Don't answer that.

Yes, love. Though, technically, I conciously steered clear of all emotions, if only because if someone wanted to be particularly cold, they could claim that all human emotions can be explained by mere chemical reactions (though none of them would ever say so their girlfriends or mothers). This is another of those things that could, conceivably, be technically true, but seems to fall short of the reality. But yes, there's a lot of philosophy about love which is worth pondering regardless of exactly what it is or how it comes to be.

Sorry for all the posts; necessary to keep things organized. I'll combine these last two, though.

That is true, as just telling the story of scientology sounds pretty far out there (anyone see that South Park episode), but regardless, Christianity and what ever other religion all have an extremly low chance of being true, regardless of which one sounds more far out there.
I disagree; religions aren't just random lottery numbers. If one idea is true, its likelihood of being true doesn't go down simply because someone comes up with an alternative idea. Nor are all ideas created equal. A religion's chance of being true is already set, but even from our perspective its odds would be determined by its internal consistency, overall coherence, historical examples, and whatever insight it has about the world at large and how to live in it. Some have more of these attributes than others, and thus are more likely to be true. They don't all get the same odds simply by virtue of existing.

Regardless, the absence of good is still derived from the central point of origin, God. This means that there has to be an inherent lack of goodness within the Almighty himself.
I don't think this follows at all. I think there is an inevitable conflict between freedom and perfect goodness, and that freedom is the better of two imperfect choices. Even a perfectly good being cannot make a better choice than the best of all possible choices. Thus, even a perfectly good God would choose to give us free will, which also makes evil possible. I see no reason why this would demonstrate a lack of goodness in God.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Yeah, like I said, I don't believe it. But I'm not sure I could dismiss it as impossible, either. Though perhaps you could? No idea. I just couldn't stand the idea of thinking of a possibility and not mentioning it.
Bring everything to the table man, that's my philosophy too . But yeah, tho i wouldn't dismiss it outright, the nigh zero-evidence in its favour does weaken its case a touch . (Of course Gaia theories started with some huge evidential gaps, altho from a firmer factual basis than that hypothesis - and some of those gaps eventually got filled in surprising ways, such as bacteria influencing weather conditions and such. That said, it now suffers from another issue pertinent to this discussion - the 'Medea' counter-argument: life-earth interactions going down globally 'life-destructive' paths {photosynthesis causing past ice ages etc} - if perhaps beneficially so in the long run]

(****, i've just realised, exponents of this idea really should join the gun-jumpers saying increased storms / hurricanes are definitely due to anthropogenic climate change - kinda fits the bill )

Originally Posted by Yods
I don't think free will is nullified by those sorts of things, really. If it was, a mere murderer would be said to have the power to take away our free will. But neither takes away our ability to make independent choices; it just takes away our life.

Again, this is probably a pointless distinction for anyone who's actually dying, but it's an important distinction nonetheless. Killing someone takes away their choices, but not their ability to choose, if you get my meaning.
Yeah, i was stretching my own hypothesis too far there . Reckon the disease/disability fallout from natural disasters is still a potential 'free will' problem though, if possibly only on a level of 'scale' (IE the limited options & increased torment thing).

I think this is trickier, because there are many, many reasons why people can be born with these conditions. A careless mother could cause it. There could be some kind of genetic abnormality that stems from God-knows-what (no pun intended in the phrasing, I promise). There are so many billions of variables that I don't think we can possibly determine whether or not such things are the result of our own actions, directly or indirectly, or some cruel God-assigned fate. I'm generally of the belief that even the seemingly random events have an underlying order that we haven't yet discovered, as you know from many other discussions.
There's a difference between not knowing the exact root cause of an inherited or novel infirmity & suggesting human causation or influence as a strong candidate. Introducing ethical dimensions makes it a bigger leap still.

We can rule-out human-only causation in certain senses after all. Many variants of cancer, for example, seem to pre-date humanity, & many inherited diseases seem to be preserved because the normal gene serves some important evolutionary purpose. No human action, ethical or otherwise, could have influenced these changes back in the day.

I grant you that we might now be modulating these 'pre human' conditions, but establishing to what extent, even in highly-studied fields like cancer, is wrought with difficulties. Certainly the existence of genetic propensity for certain cancers suggests a strong 'nature' component regardless of societal influences (altho i am very strongly in the 'nature-via-nurture' camp, so i'm not saying it's impossible that human actions might influence all known diseases & infirmities. It's just that the evidence for infirmities in particular suggests strong 'deep time' nature factors being predominant).

And all of this still begs the question, why in many cases is the child suffering for the flaws of the parent or grandparent etc - or indeed for the 'environmental' actions of others? It all fits with the tough-love idea, & the 'inscrutability' aspect contained therein, it just seems harsh to a non-believer. Having settled on this idea of Godly benevolence not necessarily tallying with our human perception of it, i'm happy enough to let the suffering go (within this argument ). The 'inscrutable good' angle is a rather stonkingly huge get-out clause when it comes to examining good & bad in 'nature' & human actions though, it seems worth pointing out.

But, back to the sub-perfect arguments. What don't you think works about it? If we didn't have earthquakes or cancer, why couldn't the same point be made about more frivolous things?
I agree with that angle, just not the bit about 'absence of superpowers also being a potential critique of god'. The critique of deficits from the observable 'norm' seems fine on its own as an 'agnostic' attack on 'natural evil'. Extending it into the fanciful feels like 'reification' more than a justifiable expansion of the argument.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I actually thought I was posting this in this thread.

So all these gods keep evolving? The God of the Bible evolved, especially in the way He interracted with man. The more primitive Man was, the more primitive God seemed to be. In John the Baptist's and Jesus's time, God seemed to believe that Man was ready for fewer physical rules and more spiritual openness in trying to "work with Him". So, although Jesus did reinforce some old laws, he brought a new covenant which did away with such things as eating/not eating such and such. Paul tried to adhere more strongly to what the Old Testament said than even Jesus did, at least according to some more-than-casual readers. Nowadays, when you'd think that Man would be open to more spiritual awareness and fellowship with his fellow Humankind and the Universe in general, more and more people seem to feel the urge to look at "religion" as only a negative, bloodthirsty, warmongering, hateful thing, kind of like the really Old Testament where God seemed to have to keep destroying most of his people to save the idea that they were actually worth saving. Nowadays, God has been replaced by Humanity and "Science" as a kind of God for some, and when we blow up hundreds of thousands of people with a nuclear bomb (or kill them with other weapons for non-religious reasons), it's all good because it wasn't God who was responsible, it was science and this thing we call a non-superstitious human, who is, as we all know, much kinder and gentler than anyone who feels some personal relationship with somebody they can't see or hear in person. (Wait a sec; it sounds like the Inter Nets now! )

I hope this isn't too off-topic. The idea that God created "Evil", if you believe it exists, has always been fascinating to me. The idea that you should blame a God for all the bad things in the world is equally interesting. Now, which God do you want to take on? Maybe we need to divvy them up? Maybe I need to shut up.

Beware The Probe!
There seems something a bit cheeky in letting God off on having 'created' evil. He is known as the 'Creator' of universe after all, is he not?

Don't like to push the point normally, coz the concept of a benevolent God seems to inspire some of religion's more positive aspects, but it does seem a bit of a deal-breaker to me. I struggle to tuck natural disasters / diseases into the category of 'ineffable acts of a cheeky chappy who's looking out for us in the end'.
(And there is still a question of why a perfect God would see the need for checks and balances of such an apparently destructive order)
You seem to be working under the impression that this universe should have been God's utopia.
Heaven is his perfect reality so why create two?

I've always thought of the universe he created for us as his 'testing grounds' of our worthiness for an immortal soul with free will.
Some will pass, some will fail.

Originally Posted by Sci-Fi-Guy
You seem to be working under the impression that this universe should have been God's utopia.
Heaven is his perfect reality so why create two?

I've always thought of the universe he created for us as his 'testing grounds' of our worthiness for an immortal soul with free will.
Some will pass, some will fail.
I'm exploring the idea of what a benevolent God might mean, SFG, especially against the backdrop of apparently impartial suffering in the world. Beyond that, as a non believer (or at least, a 'non-aligned' believer), i'm always intrigued by the warp and weft of religious thought. Such as that bit of "heaven exists, therefore..." 'a priori' thinking you just displayed

I'll just say that sometimes you feel like you've met the love of your life, then he leaves you, then you turn against God and go atheist (fabulously), then you check your e-mail and see that a new man has written to you (two hours after you got dumped, and messages from single men don't happen everyday), it turns out he's even more fabulous than the guy you thought was the love of your life, you wait for him to return from South Dakota and then you go out, then he nevers leaves your house, then he's outside fixing your car, etc. etc.

Is this proof of God at work?
Sounds like it's proof nature is at work and taking its course.

Why is it, I wonder, that atheists seem always to come from a Christian background and complain about the Christian faith? I mean, have you ever heard of athiests demanding that the statue of Buddah be removed from the corner Chinese cafeteria?