100 Years... 100 Horror Movies

→ in
Tools    

Even though I'm not doing a list I'm going to be cheeky and name the ones I haven't seen

Dracula (1931)
The Phantom of the Opera
(1925)
Wolfman (1941)
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1919)
Freaks (1932)
House of Wax (1953)
The Invisible Man (1933)
The Mummy
(1932)
Cat People (1942) - Own the 80's remake though
The Uninvited
(1944)

Pyro definitely check out The Howling; Rob Bottin's makeups are amazing.

Didn't think to include the films I haven't seen. I don't know if it matters or not, but here they are.

Dead Alive (1992)
The Ring (2002)
Wolfman (1941)
House on Haunted Hill (1959) *I have this*
In the Mouth of Madness (1994)
The Devil's Backbone (2001) *I have this*
House of Wax (1953)
Black Sunday (1960)
Black Sabbath (1963)
Tales from the Crypt (1972) *I think I have this somewhere, not sure if I've seen it or not*
The Uninvited (1944)

I think whether or not a film is horror has a lot to do with a director's intentions, i'd say anything deemed horrific could be but that's pretty subjective. Aliens has horrific moments in but the action and sci-fi elements far outweigh any horror elements, i don't think Cameron intended it to be 'scary' whereas Alien the sci-fi bits are background against the horror- interchangeable settings, alien/monster. Silence of the Lambs may have some horrific moments but it's principle intention isn't to horrify. Henry is meant to be horrific more than [i]Lambs['i] as he's the main character and has more audience complicity. I use horrify opposed to scare since it explains why Saw is horror.

I'd want to keep Shaun has despite being a parody, it still functions as an effective horror

42nd Streetfreak--Let the Right One In is among the sevens.
No, I meant that I had not *watched* these films, not that I hadn't spotted them in the list.

I think that "Shaun" qualifies as horror. Noy just because comedy horror can be horror, but also because there are moments of serious drama later on that do function as straight ahead horror scenes.

But i could lose "Aliens". It's far more a war movie in space than a horror film. It's all massed gun battles and slam downs. Unlike "Alien".

My life isn't written very well.
If Shaun of the Dead is horror, then what's Young Frankenstein or Scary Movie...?

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

If Shaun of the Dead is horror, then what's Young Frankenstein or Scary Movie...?
Not horror.

Have you seen "Shaun"? It does have strong comedic elements but it also has strong violence and gore, straight drama and yes, straight horror moments.
It also does not rely heavily on parody and comedic recreation.
There is homage here...but not really parody.

To put it simply...You could remove EVERY bit of humour, and every comedy heavy scene from "Shaun" and the film would still work as a zombie film...and as a straight horror film. Yes?

Remove the comedy from "Little Frankenstein" or "Scary Movie" (who both also crank up the parody to farce level) and you have almost no movie left at all.

However, unless the majority want them on there, then I'd like to 'lose' the following:

Spoorloos - Haven't seen it
Angel Heart - NO! You god pounding blasphemer!
Silence Of The Lambs - I vote this one stays
Shaun Of The Dead - meh
Aliens - probably should go.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Young Frankenstein could easily be considered a direct sequel to the Universal series of Frankenstein movies, and it's as much a horror film as The Bride of Frankenstein. Besides that, Frau Blücher is more horrific than anything in Bride.

Lon Chaney was considered the Master of silent horror films, but The Phantom of the Opera and The Hunchback of Notre Dame have no supernatural elements and periodically show up on Top Horror lists. There are all kinds of horror films and only a portion of them involve the supernatural. If a film has a monster, there's a 99.9% chance it's a horror film (no matter what else it may be).

Spoorloos is the original The Vanishing.

Spoorloos is the original The Vanishing.
Oh right. I saw that when it was first released years ago at an all night horror festival, I just knew it as "The Vanishing".
Never seen the American remake...but the original just seemed to exist solely to deliver the (fine) twist ending, but took a hell of a long time to do it.
Aside from that ending it made no impression at all.

Donlt agree on "Young Frankenstein". You take the (often very broad) comedy (and comedy scenes) out and you have not only not much film remaining but certainly not one that still works as a straight horror film imho.
Unlike "Shaun".

So...

How do we move on?

It's going to get tricky as say we have a tie for slot 5. The losers of the tie shouldn't necessarily get tossed. Also, if there were no ties then others would move up the list. We may have to do brackets.

I assumed we would vote on the ties and hopefully break the ties and each film would move down or up one place according to those votes.
So all those fifth place films will make up the places 5 and below.
And so on with the other tied places.

This would of course push some films out of the Top 10 they are currently in (even out of the top 20)...but so be it. They are meant to be placed in vote order after all.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yes, we'll vote them into a streamlined order with no ties, but I'm under the impression that this is not a done deal; for example, I don't believe that Night of the Living Dead is locked in at Number One. From what I understand, this list is to give people a chance to catch up and try to watch films they may have never seen before we do a final vote. If it's just too much work to do that again, I certainly understand it, but I believe that was the original intention.

Going hand-in-hand with that I would think would be the unveiling of some of the individual lists because maybe people forgot to include Ravenous, The Reflecting Skin and Horror Express.

Hey! Where's "C.H.U.D"?
That's what I'd like to know.

How many movies are on this list, Lisa? Is it the top 100 or everything that was mentioned?
I put "100 films", or something like that, at the end of the list. Then I posted the rest of the films with "5" votes each. Somewhere in here I posted that we have roughly 425 films listed. Maybe it's closer to 415.

Mine too.

Are we supposed to hold off on posting our own lists, at least in here?
Please don't post them until we're done.

So...

How do we move on?
Before I posted the rest of the list, I asked what you all wanted. The vote was for it to be in alphabetical order. This is why I asked. There are soooo many ties. I did have an idea before I asked you all. I was going to post the list, ten at a time, and have you all send me a PM on how you all would order them. Then I would do the math on that. The only problem there is, none of us have seen them all.

I need to word that better.

Night of the Living Dead (1968) = FOURTEEN <~ That's the number one film.

The Omen (1976) = THIRTEEN
The Thing (1982) = THIRTEEN

I'd have all of us, the fifteen that joined in, vote on which order these should be in. Then again . . .

An American Werewolf in London (1981) = TWELVE
Nosferatu (1922) = TWELVE
Psycho (1960) = TWELVE

Then again . . .

Dawn of the Dead (1978) = ELEVEN
The Exorcist (1973) = ELEVEN
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) = ELEVEN
The Shining (1980) = ELEVEN

Then again . . .

The Fly (1986) = TEN
Halloween (1978) = TEN
The Howling (1981) = TEN
Poltergeist (1982) = TEN
Return of the Living Dead (1985) = TEN
Scream (1996) = TEN
Shaun of the Dead (2004) = TEN

and so on . . .

The Bride of Frankenstein (1935) = Nine
The Descent (2005) = NINE
Dracula (1931) = NINE
Frankenstein (1931) = NINE
Jaws (1975) = NINE
Rosemary's Baby (1968) = NINE
The Wicker Man (1973) = NINE . . .

I'd do the math on those, and post the new order.

I just think that we need to make sure that all of these stay, first. Movies like Aliens, etc . . .

When thinking about horror films, does the fright factor become equivalent to greatness?

Originally Posted by honeykid

However, unless the majority want them on there, then I'd like to 'lose' the following:

Spoorloos - Haven't seen it
Angel Heart - NO! You god pounding blasphemer!
Silence Of The Lambs - I vote this one stays
Shaun Of The Dead - meh
Aliens - probably should go.
But Angel Heart just isn't a horror film, IMO. I really liked it, but I don't consider it horror, therefore, I wouldn't have it on the list.