Most Overrated Movies

Tools    

Oh, I forgot Star Trek and Star Trek: Into Derivative Film Making. Because JJ is the most overrated director alive (except maybe for Michael Bay).

"Derivative, it is the opposite of original." - Terry Gilliam.

I don't get The Godfather...I mean, I get what the movie is about, but it just never managed to 'grab' me...So either I'm not smart enough to get it, or this movie thinks it's smarter than it actually is.

Also, can anyone explain why 'Les Misérables' earned 8 oscar nominations, and winning one for Best Sound Mixing, even though we hear Russell Crowe singing throughout the entire movie?

A
Spider-Man 3 - Garbage.
Oh come on. Everyone already knows that Spiderman 3 sucked big time. It's not overrated in any sense of the word.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Finished here. It's been fun.
I don't get The Godfather...I mean, I get what the movie is about, but it just never managed to 'grab' me...So either I'm not smart enough to get it, or this movie thinks it's smarter than it actually is.

Also, can anyone explain why 'Les Misérables' earned 8 oscar nominations, and winning one for Best Sound Mixing, even though we hear Russell Crowe singing throughout the entire movie?
The Godfather is brilliant because it tells an incredible,dark story about power and a man's path to evil. It features an outstanding cast of actors, has amazing cinematography and visuals. Beautiful haunting theme.It's just an all-around masterpiece.

Oh and welcome to the forums btw.

Oh come on. Everyone already knows that Spiderman 3 sucked big time. It's not overrated in any sense of the word.
Lol Spiderman 3 is universally hated. I don't hate the film as much as some others, but it's very sloppy and convoluted. Prime example of how Not to do a superhero movie.

Thanks for the welcome...will find the courage to dive into the godfather again one of these days...maybe I'm old enough to get it now

Oh, I also just realised Tommy Wiseau's 'The Room' is an overrated movie...because people call it a movie, which is like calling my car the Starship Enterprise...

Thanks for the welcome...will find the courage to dive into the godfather again one of these days...maybe I'm old enough to get it now

Oh, I also just realised Tommy Wiseau's 'The Room' is an overrated movie...because people call it a movie, which is like calling my car the Starship Enterprise...
Oh hi Mark. The Room is the Citizen Kane of Bad movies basically, i remember hearing that somewhere.

Haha...I guess it's safe to say that Citizen Kane and The Room are each other's opposites like Neo and Agent Smith...

Thank you, that explains a lot...I guess we'll never know how much coke and hookers were needed to have us watch three hours of Maximus singing

I completely agree with all 3 of these, especially The Town. It infuriated me to see how many people gave it such rave reviews. Ben Affleck is a terrible actor and he ruined the movie for me.

Some more overrated movies, in my humble opinion:

There Will Be Blood - Although Daniel Day Lewis was undeniably amazing, the movie as a whole was very boring and a bit full of itself.

Gone With The Wind -- I know this is supposed to be one the all-time greats, but I just couldn't get into it.

The Godfather -- I feel like many people feel obligated to claim that they love this movie, but I'll just come and say it - I didn't enjoy it much.

The King's Speech -- When I finally watched this movie, I got the feeling that its sole purpose was win a damn Oscar. It was so formulaic and cliche.
I never saw The King's Speech, but from what I heard, it was overrated and not worth the accolades that it won, including Best Picture.

As for Gone With The Wind, that was very overrated, imho. I never saw GWTW on the great big, wide movie theatre screen, but, many years ago, when my younger brother was assigned to watch Gone With The Wind as an 8th-grade History assignment, I and the rest of the family watched GWTW with him. I found it boring as anything!

The Godfather, imo, was a bit overrated, but it was a watchable movie, just the same

There Will Be Blood was a very well-done, but harrowing film. It's not a film that I'd want to see again, but it was worth watching just once.

Insofar as The Town is concerned, I, too, was turned off when so many people gave this particular movie rave reviews. Not only did Ben Affleck play his part rather poorly, but the whole story, imho, was too unrealistsic for me to be willing to momentarily suspend my disbelief for any length of time, if one gets the drift.

BladeRunner

A sh** movie that deserved to flop.But people try to rewrite history calling it a masterpiece

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
BladeRunner

A sh** movie that deserved to flop.But people try to rewrite history calling it a masterpiece
It's not rewriting history, it's different reception at different periods in history. The people change, the movies stay the same. In the case of Blade Runner this statement is a little weird considering the multitude of versions. Each version, however, remains unchanged throughout history, and can be judged independently, or as a whole.

BladeRunner

No way in hell little guy. No way in hell. You can say you don't like the film, but it's in no way ****. It's a visual masterpiece with extremely subtle themes of what makes us human and our fear of death. It's as good as sci-fi can get. Plus the incredible soundtrack by Vangelis.I am curious to hear your reasoning on why it's bad, otherwise your statement is invalid.Good day sir!

Well that's just depressing.
To each his own Honeykid, to each his own.