100 Years... 100 Horror Movies

→ in
Tools    

Anyway, in the end, I was fine with all of the movies that made it on the list. All but one. How well do you know me? Name that movie!
I wanna say Psycho for some reason but I'm probably wrong. which one was it ?

Oh no, it's not Psycho. I love that movie, and although I didn't want it on this list . . . (I consider it nothing more than a thriller. One hell of a great thriller, but still a thriller.) . . . I'm fine with it being on there now.
So, no one knows which movie it is? No one knows me any better than that? No one reads enough of my posts to have me figured out by now? Am I nothing more than a couple of pasties to you guys?

When I change my avatar, this is going to read rather funny.

quick question how many people were part of the making of this list ?

I thought you were complaining about that movie making the list. Then I realized you were making a guess on my question. I have no opinion on that film. I didn't add it, but I didn't try to vote it off, once it made the list. I haven't watched it yet, but Holden suggested I watch it . . . along time ago shhh . . . so it's probably real good.

Saw. It's pure *****! I know, you guys love it. Anyway, I once shared a story about taking my daughter to the store to buy some DVDs. She's standing there all of 5 years old, looking at some Strawberry Shortcake DVDs, and maybe 3 feet from that was the Saw movie box. That store pissed me off so bad, having that right there for children to see. You know what those cases look like. So I dropped every copy of it behind the racks. I can bet you now that those cases are still wedged between the rack and wall. They never move those things.
I also don't like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Hellraiser, Phantasm, or any other severely gory movie, but I expected to see them on the list. I was hoping not enough people liked Saw for it to make it there. If I could remove one movie, that would be the one.

Saw. It's pure *****! I know, you guys love it. Anyway, I once shared a story about taking my daughter to the store to buy some DVDs. She's standing there all of 5 years old, looking at some Strawberry Shortcake DVDs, and maybe 3 feet from that was the Saw movie box. That store pissed me off so bad, having that right there for children to see. You know what those cases look like. So I dropped every copy of it behind the racks. I can bet you now that those cases are still wedged between the rack and wall. They never move those things.
I also don't like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Hellraiser, Phantasm, or any other severely gory movie, but I expected to see them on the list. I was hoping not enough people liked Saw for it to make it there. If I could remove one movie, that would be the one.
I'm not into Saw as well and it didn't make my list. Neither did Phantasm and I have yet to see Hellraiser. Texas on the ohter hand did more for the fact that it actually isn't that gory and has very little blood in it but after you see the film it leaves you with this lingering feeling that you saw more then what was actually shown. It's not a favourite of mine but it does work quite well as to what it intended to be.

Saw is at least twice the movie that Blair Witch is. At least. I know you're not really into the gore though Des, so yeah, you won't be missing much if you skip it.

I was wondering if we could get everyone posted top 100's. You know, for more recommendations and to see were other posters tastes are.

Anyways here's mine if anyone wants to disscuss any films, post there top 100 or just give me recommendations please do.

John Carpenter's The Thing
The Shining
The Exorcist
The Girl Who Knew Too Much
Martin
Deep Red
Pan’s Labyrinth
The Silence of the Lambs
Jacob's Ladder
Evil Dead II
The Haunting (1973)
Halloween
Dawn of the Dead (Original)
Jaws
Dead Alive (1992)
Alien
Blood and Black Lace (1964)
Seven
Psycho (Hitchcock)
Dark of the Night
28 Days Later
Heavenly Creatures
Suspiria
Black Sunday
The Devil's Backbone (2001)
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
Witchfinder General
Dead of Night (1945)
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Scream
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1973)
Sisters
Black Christmas (Clark)
Kill, Baby.... Kill! (1968)
The Bird with the Crystal Plumage
Hush, Hush sweet Charlotte
The Howling
Poltergeist
Day of the Dead
An American Werewolf in London
Of Unknown Origin
Fright Night
Re-Animator
Invasion of the body snatchers (1956)
Shaun of the dead
Lady in White
The Birds
The Vanishing (1988)
The Exorcist III
Repulsion
Aura
The Fly (1986)
The Changeling
Event Horizon
Angel Heart
Peeping Tom
Frenzy
Frailty
The Hitcher
Black Sabbath
The Lodger (Hitchcock)
The Omen (1976)
House of wax
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Night of the living Dead
Nosferatu (Herzog)
The Collector
Nightwatch (Original)
Don’t Look Now
White of the Eye
Man Bites Dog
Prince of Darkness
Twitch of the Death Nerve
The Evil Dead
Zombieland
Crazies
The Old Dark House (1932)
American psycho
The Fall of the house of usher
Rosemary’s baby
Vampyr (1932)
Legend of Hell house (1973)
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
The Pit and the Pendulum (1961)
The Hills Have Eyes
Friday the 13th
Dracula (1931)
The Thing From Another World
Everyday God Kisses Us on the Mouth
Session 9
Misery
Below
Magic
Hostel
Terror Train
The Dark Half
Cemetery Man
Vengeance is mine
The Mothman Prophesies (2002)
Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971)
The Last House on Dead End Street

there's a frog in my snake oil
Oo, you included Vengeance is Mine as a horror? I guess it is pretty horrific at points. I wouldn't have thought of classifying it like that tho. I remember it more as a 'thriller'/psychological study.

I guess that's one of the biggest questions about defining horror. Does it have to have a 'supernatural' element etc.

---

For what it's worth, here's the alphabetised 25 I mustered, but I'm very much a horror 'amateur'. No great surprises in there...

Aliens (1986)
An American Werewolf in London (1981)
Army of Darkness (1992)
Braindead (1992)
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Day of the Dead (1985)
Don’t Look Now (1973)
eXistenZ (1999)
The Fly (1986)
Freaks (1932)
Gremlins (1984)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Misery (1990)
Mr Vampire (1985)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
The Omen (1976)
Onibaba (1964)
Psycho (1960)
Shaun of the Dead (2004)
They Live (1988)
The Thing (1982)
Tremors (1990)
Scream (1996)
The Shining (1980)
Seven (1995)
Society (1989)

Oo, you included Vengeance is Mine as a horror? I guess it is pretty horrific at points. I wouldn't have thought of classifying it like that tho. I remember it more as a 'thriller'/psychological study.

I guess that's one of the biggest questions about defining horror. Does it have to have a 'supernatural' element etc.

---

For what it's worth, here's the alphabetised 25 I mustered, but I'm very much a horror 'amateur'. No great surprises in there...
I see what your saying about Vengeance. I think it's somewhat along the lines of Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer but, not entirely. The Perspective or point of view of a serial killer and the inner workings of one.

Yeah, I'd say i'm an amateur espically after making the list I realized that I needed to see a lot more horror films before probably attempting such a list again hence the reason i'd like to check out other peoples lists. Thanks for sharing yours Soceity and Mr. Vampire look interesting.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I see what your saying about Vengeance. I think it's somewhat along the lines of Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer but, not entirely. The Perspective or point of view of a serial killer and the inner workings of one.
Yeah, I dig it. Happy to see it there in fact, coz I like the film a lot (As much as one can like being inside a serial killer's head that is )

Originally Posted by LB
Yeah, I'd say i'm an amateur espically after making the list I realized that I needed to see a lot more horror films before probably attempting such a list again hence the reason i'd like to check out other peoples lists. Thanks for sharing yours Soceity and Mr. Vampire look interesting.
The former I slung in a bit cheekily, as I've never finished it, but it freaked the living **** out of me as an early teen. No idea how it stands up these days. Mr Vampire is just a bit of vampire-fu fun with a peculiar gore-ghost aspect thrown in. It's more on the comedy end than anything, with the vampire make-up not being up to much, but there's still some atmosphere and the odd shock moment in there.

Yeah, I dig it. Happy to see it there in fact, coz I like the film a lot (As much as one can like being inside a serial killer's head that is )

The former I slung in a bit cheekily, as I've never finished it, but it freaked the living **** out of me as an early teen. No idea how it stands up these days. Mr Vampire is just a bit of vampire-fu fun with a peculiar gore-ghost aspect thrown in. It's more on the comedy end than anything, with the vampire make-up not being up to much, but there's still some atmosphere and the odd shock moment in there.
I looked up Mr. Vampire on Youtube looks funny. It reminded me of an okay comedy action horror film called The Vampire Effect. It's an okay film and for a second, I thought it might actually be the same movie under an AKA, but it's not.

I was wondering if we could get everyone posted top 100's. You know, for more recommendations and to see were other posters tastes are.

Anyways here's mine if anyone wants to disscuss any films, post there top 100 or just give me recommendations please do.
I second the recommendation for Mr. Vampire (and would also add Butterfly Murders and Encounters of the Spooky kind for decent hk fare).

Also if you liked Vengeance is mine you should check out some more by Imamura, particularly these: Profound Desire of the Gods, The Eel, Ei ja nai ka. Not Horror though.

The Eel, what a great film. Didn't know it was directed by the same guy who did Vengeance is Mine now I need to check those others out too. thanks.

It was decided on that this was the final list, yes?

100 Years... 100 Horror Movies

Night of the Living Dead (1968)
The Thing (1982)
The Omen (1976)
An American Werewolf in London (1981)
Nosferatu (1922)
Psycho (1960)
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
The Exorcist (1973)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
The Shining (1980)
Halloween (1978)
The Fly (1986)
Scream (1996)
Poltergeist (1982)
Return of the Living Dead (1985)
The Howling (1981)
Shaun of the Dead (2004)
Jaws (1975)
Frankenstein (1931)
Dracula (1931)
The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
The Wicker Man (1973)
The Descent (2005)
The Haunting (1961)
Alien (1979)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Carrie (1976)
Near Dark (1987)
The Lost Boys (1987)
The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
Dog Soldiers (2002)
Re-Animator (1985)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Let the Right One In (2008)
The Evil Dead (1981)
The Innocents (1961)
Friday the 13th (1980)
28 Days Later (2002)
Hellraiser (1987)
The Changeling (1980)
Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn (1987)
Fright Night (1985)
Suspiria (1977)
Dead Alive (1992)
Wolfman (1941)
The Others (2001)
The Ring (2002)
Saw (2004)
The Birds (1963)
Black Christmas (1974)
Deep Red (1975)
Frailty (2001)
Ringu (1998)
Interview with the Vampire (1994)
The Entity (1981)
Misery (1990)
The Sixth Sense (1999)
Nosferatu (1979)
The Fog (1980)
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1919)
Freaks (1932)
House on Haunted Hill (1959)
Tremors (1990)
The Blair Witch Project (1999)
Witchfinder General (1968)
In the Mouth of Madness (1994)
Phantasm (1979)
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956)
Day of the Dead (1985)
The Invisible Man (1933)
The Hitcher (1986)
Aliens (1986)
Army of Darkness (1992)
The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
The Devil's Backbone (2001)
House of Wax (1953)
Don't Look Now (1973)
The Amityville Horror (1979)
Pet Sematary (1989)
The Pit & the Pendulum (1961)
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986)
The Mummy (1932)
Shadow of the Vampire (2000)
Sleepy Hollow (1999)
Christine (1983)
Creepshow (1982)
Peeping Tom (1960)
Black Sunday (1960)
Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992)
Ginger Snaps (2000)
Salem's Lot (1979)
Final Destination (2000)
Angel Heart (1987)
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Black Sabbath (1963)
Candyman (1992)
Tales from the Crypt (1972)
Shivers (1975)
The Uninvited (1944)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Army of Darkness is pure comedy with horror elements. I love the list though.

Suspect's Reviews