The MoFo Top 100 Film Noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

2 for 2 today and Strangers on a Train was my # 15 pick. I have another Hitchcock on my ballot which I'm pretty sure will also show up eventually.

I thought The Big Heat was yet another worthy noir that I'd overlooked, and went looking to see if it was streaming anywhere. But I read the synopsis and saw Lee Marvin was in it and then that pic of Gloria Grahame. My mind immediately went to the coffee pot scene and I remembered having watched it. Solid noir. Glenn Ford is always money when it comes to noir and Marvin is such a freakin' reptile in this.

50 of 84 seen so far.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
#17. The Big Heat (1953) is my #17.

Good, rich story. Variety of characters. It was curious for me to see Lee Marvin, who I like a lot, in his early appearances.

---

#18 Strangers on a Train (1951) - I saw it several years ago but it turned to has a big issue with the poorly developed story.

-----

My Ballot

2. Rebecca (1940) [#35]
4. The Wrong Man (1956) [#39]
5. Suspicion (1941) [#49]
9. Ace in the Hole (1951) [#19]
10. The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) [#23]
11. Gilda (1946) [#27]
12. The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946) [#40]
14. Notorious (1946) [#20]
15. The Lost Weekend (1945) [#34]
17. The Big Heat (1953) [#17]
19. Key Largo (1948) [#26]
20. Night and the City (1950) [#25]
21. Spellbound (1945) [#68]
23. Woman on the Run (1950) [#91]
24. High Sierra (1940) [#50]
25. Niagara (1953) [#56]

-----

Gilda is better known, especially to the more casual or burgeoning film buff, with the pop cultural assist from The Shawshank Redemption, but the Glenn Ford flick that is essential Noir is definitely The Big Heat. Ford is a straight-arrow cop who encounters corruption not only in the criminals he deals with, including Lee Marvin’s thug and Alexander Scourby’s boss, but also in his law enforcement brethren. While investigating the supposed suicide of a fellow officer his poking around leads to his wife getting killed by a car bomb meant for him. He tenders his badge then sets on a course of revenge.

There also a dame, of course, played by the lovely Gloria Grahame. In an unforgettable scene she is maimed with a coffee pot (seen in the next generation when a Coke bottle makes a cruel point in The Long Goodbye). The bandaged moll and the former cop with hatred in their hearts become an unlikely pair ready to make some changes. It is the darkest character of Ford’s career and along with In A Lonely Place it is the best Grahame got to do on screen, a sassy, dancing beauty turned into a disfigured gunslinger. Go get ‘em!

Absolutely had to make room for it. Could have been even higher, but it was my sixteenth choice, good for ten points.

HOLDEN'S BALLOT
2. The Killers (#22)
3. Too Late for Tears (#81)
4. The Set-Up (#46)
8. Odd Man Out (#47)
9. Criss Cross (#44)
10. Stray Dog (#32)
12. The Big Combo (#52)
13. Phantom Lady (#69)
14. Born to Kill (#84)
15. Pickup on South Street (#21)
16. The Big Heat (#17)
18. He Walked By Night (#88)
19. Fallen Angel (#80)
22. Panic in the Streets (#98)
24. Crossfire (#51)
25. The Crimson Kimono (DNP)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Big Heat is another one of those genre defining film noirs for me. A no-brainer for my top ten at #7. Didn't vote for Strangers on a Train but it's great, surprised but cool to see Hitchcock dominate the countdown. (he's at five with the likely possibility of Shadow of a Doubt still coming up)

SEEN 52/84
BALLOT 14/25

John-Connor's Film-Noir Top 50:  

I saw today's reveals, and thought "oh cool, two films from my list!" but I can't find The Big Heat on there anywhere. It would've been in my top 10 for sure, but I don't see it on my original shortlist either, so I think I forgot to include it, or accidentally erased it.

This is what I wrote about it when it was nominated in the 3rd Noir HoF:

The Big Heat (1953)
Directed by: Fritz Lang
Starring: Glenn Ford, Lee Marvin, Gloria Grahame

The Big Heat occasionally erupts into violence with shocking scenes that were quite uncommon for films of the era. Even though the majority of these acts take place off screen, the events still leave a huge impact, proving that a film doesn't need to flaunt grotesque visuals in order to be effective. Everything on screen is perfectly controlled by Lang, with camera work and editing that complement the tightly written script incredibly well.

The lighting is more subtle than usual for a noir, and especially for Lang in particular, but it still draws on those Expressionistic roots to create a stark mise-en-scène. The disparity between the loving, quaint family scenes and the cruelty that occurs afterwards further emphasises the film's base brutality. Instead of a femme fatale ruining the lives of men, women face the brunt of The Big Heat's violence, often after contact with the protagonist, and indirectly as a consequence for refusing to be complacent in the face of corruption.

Bannion was an honest cop with the perfect home life, but over the course of the film, he turns bitter and cold as vengeance becomes his top priority. You can even hear these changes in Glenn Ford's voice, as he gives arguably the best performance of his career. The entire cast does a remarkable job, with Gloria Grahame going through a similar transformation as her character is also struck hard by the film's many tragic events. It's an engrossing film that's still as relevant today as it was when it was released, so I'm glad I got the chance to watch it again.
I am so disappointed that it wasn't on my list. I did vote for Strangers on a Train however, and nearly voted for Notorious, though it was the last film I cut. I had meant to rewatch it, and perhaps I would've included it if I had... who knows. I haven't seen Ace in the Hole.

Seen: 32/84

My List: 12
03. Stranger on the Third Floor (1940) - #92
04. Murder My Sweet (1944) - #28
06. Detour (1945) - #24
07. Rebecca (1940) - #35
08. Ministry of Fear (1944) - #75
09. The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946) - #40
11. This Gun for Hire (1942) - #78
13. Odd Man Out (1947) - #47
15. Strangers on a Train (1951) - #18
18. Night and the City (1950) - #25
19. Phantom Lady (1944) - #69
25. The Stranger (1946) - #38

A system of cells interlinked
Quite a few from my ballot showing up now...

Notorious was my #9. My father and I love chatting about this film, as he counts it as one of his favorite films of all time. We have also watched the commentary by Marian Keane, which I thought was good, but not especially informative. The film itself is fantastic, with two iconic performances by two iconic actors. Top tier Hitchcock, and an excellent noir.

I had Pickup on South Street at #10 on my ballot, just cracking the Top 10. Widmark is an all-time great, and although I frustratingly and staggeringly managed to leave one of his all-time best turns off of my ballot in a terrible oversight, I am glad to see this picture appear, along with Night and the City, another great Widmark turn. There is a pretty cool analysis of Pickup on South Street out there that digs into the opening scene, and how it was as strong of an allegory for sexual assault that they were able to get away with in the Hayes years; it puts an entirely different spin on the scene if that hadn't crossed your mind while watching the scene previously, although it is pretty blatant, really. Anyway, Top 10 stuff, IMO.

Speaking of oversights, I somehow only had The Killers ranked at #13, and again it's because I just hadn't revisited it in so long that its shine had sort of diminished in my mind. Should most certainly be Top 10. A perfect example of what noir is all about, and a great choice to recommend to someone who wants a great example classic film noir. Gardener is an absolute stunner in this one, showcasing why she is one of the most fetching actresses of the time.

Strangers of a Train was my #12. Another legendary turn from Hitchcock, released at time when he was really firing on all cylinders. This is another film anchored by some excellent performances, and also contains some really inventive and shots and scenes. I still have yet another of Hitchcock's titles to show, unless it somehow doesn't make it, something at which I would be really surprised.

I watched The Big Heat for the countdown and was impressed enough to put it at #13. Strangers on a Train was Patricia Highsmith's debut novel, and when Hitchcock was interested in securing the rights to it, he made sure his name was kept out of it. Robert Walker was an excellent choice as Bruno, and the scenes at the fair and the whole climax is top-notch Hitchcock, but I don't love it enough to include it.

My List:
6. Pickup on South Street (#21)
7. Stray Dog (#32)
11. Where the Sidewalk Ends (#66)
13. The Big Heat (#17)
15. Elevator to the Gallows (#41)
17. Ace in the Hole (#19)
18. Gilda (#27)
20. This Gun for Hire (#78)
21. The Postman Always Rings Twice (#23)
22. The Wrong Man (#39)
23. The Set-Up (#46)
24. Scarlet Street (#29)
25. Gun Crazy (#36)

Strangers on a Train is prime Hitchcock and one I've seen numerous times over the years, but haven't watched in quite a few years. Still, it's etched in my brain as the whole "swapping murders" scenario sets off disaster. This is one of Robert Walker's finest roles and he totally convinces as the killer who sets up the plot, thinking he and Farley Granger have an agreement. The killing by Walker is expertly filmed and one that should be shown with any Hitchcock highlight reel. The merry-go-round finale is awesome and sad at the same time. Hitchcock actually made me feel bad for a psycho killer! On the subject of Farley Granger, I feel he often gets a bad rap and that he was a better actor than he gets credit for. Still, when you're cast opposite the powerhouse that Walker was in this film, anyone would tend to pale in comparison.

I'm so pleased that The Big Heat made the Top 20! I was starting to sweat this one. I agree that this is Glenn Ford's finest role, and he's had a lot of great ones. But he went to a really dark place in this, not letting anybody or anything stand in his way of getting revenge, nevermind justice. And Gloria Grahame, how I felt for her after her scalding at the hands of an ultra-slimy Lee Marvin, who is also great. But I was rooting for Glenn the whole way to beat, kill and destroy! This one made my list at #10.

#4 The Big Combo List Proper #52
#5 Pickup on South Street List Proper #23
#6 Kansas City Confidential List Proper #53
#10 The Big Heat List Proper #17
#12 The Postman Always Rings Twice List Proper #23
#13 Murder, My Sweet List Proper #28
#14 Kiss of Death List Proper #59
#15 He Walked By Night List Proper #88
#16 The Naked City List Proper #60
#17 The Killers List Proper #22
#18 Detour List Proper #24
#20 Gun Crazy List Proper #36
#22 This Gun For Hire List Proper #78
#23 The Narrow Margin List Proper #43
#25 Crossfire List Proper #51

Strangers on a Train is one of the two Hitchcock noir masterpieces, along with Shadow of a Doubt from 8 years earlier. I must have watched this picture 10 times, and never tire of it.

The story and its direction are superb, and the set pieces and photography by Robert Burks provide some of the most memorable in cinema: the slow motion murder of Miriam in the amusement park reflected in her dropped eye glasses, and the out of control merry go round spring to mind. Absolutely remarkable for their day. This picture is proof that Hitch was the master of suspense. I may have to watch it again soon.

It was #6 on my noir list.

The Big Heat (1953)

Directed by the formidable Fritz Lang, with memorable
noir lighting by cinematographer Charles Lang (no relation), the film features one of Glenn Ford’s grittiest roles, while the other stars themselves compete for similar grittiness in this sordid tale of murder, graft and betrayal; all prime noir ingredients.

Ford plays a detective who initially investigates the suspicious suicide of a fellow detective who may have
had ties to the mob which is virtually running the city. As a result, his wife played by Jocelyn Brando (Marlon’s sister), ends up accidentally paying the price. Ford embarks on a possessed revenge hunt which brings him into contact with the incomparable Gloria Grahame, the sadistic Lee Marvin, and the chilling crime boss Alexander Scourby.

In 1953 the good guys still won out in the end, but there is a full array of story
and action packed into the movie’s 90 minutes. There is a surprising amount of frank brutality and violence for its time, unique for its day. In one scene Gloria Grahame is the recipient of a cruel act that was so shocking that it remains today as a memorable example from the era. Lang had a penchant for brutality, and he let out all the stops in this picture.

An interesting point
about this film is that, although films noir are often noted for their use of a femme fatale, here we see Ford used practically as an homme fatale: all four women who he is involved with meet a violent end.

Despite that noir had already been well developed by 1953, this picture is a prime example of the form in general and Fritz Lang’s style in specific.

Still, it did not crack my top 25.

11 unaccounted for with 16 to be revealed. Those are definitely house odds.

1. Probably Top 5
2. Also Top 5
3. High Sierra (#50)
4. Strong maybe
5. Ride the Pink Horse (#45)
6. Mystery Street (#93)
7. Gun Crazy (#36)
8. Mmm, maybe?
9. Reasonably sure
10. Too much like a more likely candidate?
11. Night and the City (#25)
12. It should but then ...
13. The likely candidate (see #10)
14. Stray Dog (#32)
15. Strangers on a Train (#18)
16. Key Largo (#26)
17. You would think so but who knows?
18. Detour (#24)
19. The Narrow Margin (#43)
20. Kansas City Confidential (#53)
21. Where the Sidewalk Ends (#66)
22. Too Late for Tears (#81)
23. Too much like #17?
24. The Set-Up (#46)
25. Probably not.

I have seen 5 of the last 6 movies. I am ashamed to say I haven't seen The Big Heat. I have never even heard of it before now.
Of these movies, The Killers was my #24 and Strangers on a Train was my #9.

Hint...tomorrow's reveal is two of my all time favorite noirs. The first time both of my personal favorites have made the countdown...What is tomorrow's noirs?
The Asphalt Jungle and The Sweet Smell of Success?

Strangers on a Train is my #17 and I agree, is Hitchcock's noiriest noir. The ending is absolutely glorious madness.

I have complicated feelings on Big Heat. In retrospect, I feel it should've made its way onto my list, but at the same time it was a very sad story that left me cold. It's a great movie, but I don't like the way it makes me feel. Not sure how to translate that into a ranking or number.

Welcome to the human race...
no votes. strangers on a train is good, though like most hitchcock films i haven't felt much inclination to revisit it. the big heat is okay.

#16 The Asphalt Jungle (1950)

Director: John Huston
Production:MGM
Cast: Sterling Hayden,Louis Calhern, Jean Hagen
319 Points, 26 Lists

'A major heist goes off as planned, but then double crosses, bad luck and solid police work cause everything to unravel.'

#15 Mildred Pierce (1945)

Director: Michael Curtiz
Production: Warner Bros
Cast: Joan Crawford, Jack Carson, Zachary Scott, Ann Blyth
325 Points, 26 Lists

'A hard-working mother inches towards disaster as she divorces her husband and starts a successful restaurant business to support her spoiled daughter.'