Solo: A Star Wars Story

Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Well who cares if a bunch of characters we haven't seen before or ever will again.die. They are only a small notch above a Star trek red shirt. Not exactly worth having a hissy fit over.

Worryingly people are saying this movie is setting up for a sequel.

Well who cares if a bunch of characters we haven't seen before or ever will again.die.
People who want to watch the movie and not know what happens, presumably.

This is a silly argument. Prequels can have spoilers. Obviously.

People who want to watch the movie and not know what happens, presumably.

This is a silly argument. Prequels can have spoilers. Obviously.
Yeah obviously but not big ones.

Saw a early screening to this film and I noticed people in the place were mostly reviewer cause it seemed not like a movie experiance were you get the feel of a movie with a movie going group. I can see where critic so called fans will give the movie a hard time. Rogue One had this same critic feel. The movie is really fun if your a Star Wars or Sci Fi movie fan and Star Wars was originally a fun adventure story in space and Solo dilvers that. The Actor Playing Han Solo Tries his best and Harrselson and Clarke deliver good performance to help the new Han Solo. Lando is a fun character but there is one Lando for me. Chewbacca and Han in the movie really deliver the best Moments in the film and the actor nails those scenes . Im not a Robot or Disney Flag shipper. I happen to like all the films made. But I think the Stand Alone films feel more like Canon extention and more world building that make a person love the 6 films more.
I give it 3 and Half out of 5 Valyrian Steel Swords

Now I am not saying people should go see this movie because I liked it nor am I saying Fans should Join the boycott. While I feel a boycott is a bit over kill. I just want people to see or not see this movie because it looks good or doesnt to them. Not bowing down to those hating a film they not even have seen.

Yeah, the idea that these reviews are the result of some Machiavellian reputation-preservation strategy is pretty paranoid. But part of being obsessed with something is assuming that other people are the same way.

My crazy idea is that we use the thread about this movie to mostly talk about this movie, rather than as a proxy to rehash controversial social arguments and/or the last Star Wars film.
I think it's quite possible that a number of critics are aware that their legitimacy has been questioned in light of possibly the largest gap between public/critic consensus for a big movie like TLJ.

Anyways RT critic score is hovering around 70, and Metacritic around 60.

Public scores will start to filter in today. God knows how bad they will be. My guess would be slightly higher than TLJ but who knows. Any Solo featurette I see on Facebook is filled with angry comments about why this has been made, and more scorn for TLJ.

Can Kathleen Kennedy survive 2 terribly recieved films?

I think it's quite possible that a number of critics are aware that their legitimacy has been questioned in light of possibly the largest gap between public/critic consensus for a big movie like TLJ.
I'm not going to argue it's not possible, but it's not really plausible, either. This is obviously a bigger deal to you than them to begin with, and that's without factoring in the multiple reports of people deliberately screwing with user ratings, or the weird collective action problem.

I think this narrative exists because it makes frustrated fans feel better/more powerful.

Can Kathleen Kennedy survive 2 terribly recieved films?
She survived Crystal Skull, so yeah, probably.

I chuckled at the crystal skull part. She probably gets away with that one though as it was Spielberg directing wasn't it? (I haven't checked). Spielberg is a bigger fish, also Lucas was still boss back then so don't know much could be laid at her feet.

Buck stops with her now though and her grand plan at the minute seems to consist of unwanted prequels and a disjointed main trilogy.

Yeah, I don't disagree with you there. Even as someone who didn't hate the last one, I definitely think they screwed up by not having a Feige to oversee the process a little more (or else get more involved and really insist on the individual filmmakers working together more). I'm okay both with a new direction SW and a bit of a rehash (though I'm just more interested in the former), but trying to do both looks a little silly now.

I think we'll end up with three good films, but not one good trilogy, in other words.

This is my overall 2 cents I have seen all 8 Trilogy Films, Rogue One. And Solo on Sunday will be my second viewing of the film. I think Episode 7 been better done with Rey and Kylo never being a Skywalker or Solo and The Older Characters Should have been in Episode 7 But There story told just like Legends material had it.I Think Rey would have been better suited as maybe The Last Skywalker and Kylo Ren just a Vader worshiper. I think Rey would have been a perfect well loved character. In a Start of a new Trilogy.
But I am not so destroyed I will rave and try and destroy films being made. I fell in love with Star Wars. Which is the idea of a Galaxy far far away and with the Prequels i learned Luke Leia and Han were 3 characters in a very large Galaxy and I learned to embrace new characters and I welcome strong female characters and new Droids and characters.
The New characters should have happened but Id put them in a new trilogy and Rey's master or teacher should have been Ben Skywalker Lukes Son. I think Episode 7 8 and 9 could have introduced Jaina and Jacen Solo and Ben Skywalker and Mara Jade could have lived onto the New Triology Time Line and Rey Poe and Finns Journey began.
But thats not whats happened and I just except it and some not likely the creators need to remember Lucas wanted a tried to do Films with Mark Carrie and Harrison back when he tried to do Episode 1 and thus Episode 1 happened because the old crew passed on more adventures. I think the actors knew they were not the main driving force when did Episode 7 but the Fans expected some fantasy where they Saved they day and would never die. Han Dying prepared me what the older characters role was. But now Disney is forced to end Rey and the new characters at 9 when likely 10, 11 and 12 was to be there story. In a way I think there plan was like i suggested with Rey becoming Lead Jedi in 9. But still think we needed the Legends Solos and Skywalkers in 7 8 and 9 and Rey came too soon as well as Kylo Ren and Snoke

A system of cells interlinked
Well who cares if a bunch of characters we haven't seen before or ever will again.die. They are only a small notch above a Star trek red shirt. Not exactly worth having a hissy fit over.

Worryingly people are saying this movie is setting up for a sequel.
So wait... doesn't this mean that in any film ever made, if the characters haven't appeared in another film before the one we are watching, or won't appear in any film after the one we are watching, it isn't possible to care about the characters in the film?

What about the boxer in Million Dollar Baby? The kid at the end of My Girl? When I saw Titanic, the entire theater was full of people blowing their noses and crying. Like, the entire theater. Don't even get me started on Life of Pi...Come on man!

If we are only talking Star Wars films... When I went to see Rogue One, I brought my wife, who has seen all the SW films, and her two lady friends, both who at that point had only ever seen the original SW trilogy. All three of them were in tears at the end of that flick. I Certainly liked the characters and found myself caring about what happened to them by the middle of the film...

So wait... doesn't this mean that in any film ever made, if the characters haven't appeared in another film before the one we are watching, or won't appear in any film after the one we are watching, it isn't possible to care about the characters in the film?

What about the boxer in Million Dollar Baby? The kid at the end of My Girl? When I saw Titanic, the entire theater was full of people blowing their noses and crying. Like, the entire theater. Don't even get me started on Life of Pi...Come on man!

If we are only talking Star Wars films... When I went to see Rogue One, I brought my wife, who has seen all the SW films, and her two lady friends, both who at that point had only ever seen the original SW trilogy. All three of them were in tears at the end of that flick. I Certainly liked the characters and found myself caring about what happened to them by the middle of the film...
Basically I'm referring to characters appearing in prequels, the story, the characters everything is all just unnecessary really.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Rather than the film itself I’m more interested in the review scores. I found the last Jedi abhorrent. I was surprised to see the overwhelming positive reviews. Maybe there was one critical mediocre review. Am I so out of touch with the critics. Now it seems that critics are able to be critical of solo. Is it so much worse than the last Jedi? I can’t fatham a Star Wars movie being worse...of course I could be wrong and haven’t seen it. Sticking with my prejudice....I believe that due to the backlash against the critics overwhelmingly positive reception of the last Jedi....they have been given public acceptable to be critical which can venture into negative scores/mediocre scores etc as can be seen. The tides have changed and with it I see the slow demise of Star Wars unless Disney manage to make a good SW film for which...in my opinion..they have not.

Hey guys, I did see this and it was pretty decent. I do have a HUGE question but I dont know how to do the spoiler alert thing so I will keep this VERY vague!! The female role, Qi'ra...........(hint hint), can you enlighten me please?? I think I get it?

Jon

So I saw it tonight, and....

It's not that bad.

I found it quite a fun ride. Granted it's predictable and you know the end result, but it's got some good stuff and I liked the overall heist plot.

Donald Glover is great as Lando, and I found Emilia Clarke & Woody Harrellson both rather good in this film. Alden is also good as Han, but...y'know.

Also, the ending has a really cool surprise at the end. Something I didn't see coming. All I'll say is this...

WARNING: spoilers below
BRING ON THE KENOBI MOVIE!!!!

I think Obi Wan and Boba Fett films will continue they MCU like things where so how Maul and Han will likely end up in the films. I think Maul and Han will appear in Boba Fett and And Maul will appear in Kenobi but he will have a near death meeting with Vader and I delayed getting to Tatooine.