The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

So... who's sticking with their initial picks? Anybody new want to jump in the betting game?
I’m sticking with L.A. Confidential as my guess for tomorrow.

So, what I could do is either do an early bird reveal, but I mean really early, as in 6:20am EST, before I head out... or reveal late in the afternoon, possibly even in the evening, depending on when I do get back home.

What do you prefer?
I vote early reveal.

I forgot the opening line.

Animal Kingdom - My #25

This Australian film was my 1-pointer, and as it didn't show I guess it got votes from at least one other person. It inspired an American television series on TNT that ended up running for 6 seasons, and I liked the film so much that I gave the series a go - and I have to say I thought the series was also terrific. Anyway, the film has a few recognizable faces in it's cast for audiences worldwide - Ben Mendelsohn, Guy Pearce, Jacki Weaver and Joel Edgerton are all in it, elevating the acting quality of this movie based on a crime family who is turning young 17-year-old Josh Cody (James Frecheville), whose mother has just died of a heroin overdose, into a fully criminalized member of the gang. People already leading a lousy life are easy to turn - but Detective Nathan Leckie (Guy Pearce) takes on the near-hopeless task of saving this kid from his own kin. For those who haven't seen it, I highly recommend Animal Kingdom - both the film and the series. Looking back on this selection, I think it's highly debatable whether it's neo-noir or not - but it passed the needed test to meet qualification standards.

Latest Review : Mona Lisa (1986)

I forgot the opening line.
Also, another thing that I wanted to run by the group. This countdown is set to conclude on Saturday with the reveals of #1 and #2. As I've said in various occassions through the countdown, weekends are a bit complicated for me, and this Saturday maybe moreso than the others. I will probably be out all day long with no access to my laptop.

So, what I could do is either do an early bird reveal, but I mean really early, as in 6:20am EST, before I head out... or reveal late in the afternoon, possibly even in the evening, depending on when I do get back home.

What do you prefer?
Yeah, do it early.

Welcome to the human race...
the long goodbye is excellent, but i haven't watched it in forever. pretty sure it would hold up so ironically i don't feel i have to.

Elliott Gould's performance is my favourite thing about The Long Goodbye. He carries a lot of the film, and without him I don't think the film wouldn't made it onto my list. When it was nominated in the 25th Hall of Fame, this is what I wrote about it:

The Long Goodbye (1973)
Directed By: Robert Altman
Starring: Elliott Gould, Nina van Pallandt, Sterling Hayden

The Long Goodbye provides an interesting spin on a classic genre, as well as one of its most iconic characters. It acknowledges traditional noir clichés, and highlights how out of place someone like Phillip Marlowe would be in a world that has undergone many changes since Raymond Chandler first starting writing his novels. With overlapping dialogue and a meandering plot, this isn't a detective story that's told in a clean, succinct manner, but it's a satisfying one nonetheless.

The camera often moves around the perimeter of scenes, and films conversations from the other side of a glass screen or car, giving the impression that the audience is an outside observer. Marlowe himself doesn't seem to have much agency in the story until the very end, which fits this particular characterization of a man who is at odds with the world he lives in. Though he was perhaps a little too flippant at times, I really enjoyed Marlowe's attitude, with Elliott Gould's performance being the highlight of the film for me.

I wish I could say the same for the other actors, but most of them were just serviceable at best. This didn't bother me too much, with the exception of Sterling Hayden, who I found actively repulsive. I do wonder whether or not that was intentional, or just a side effect of his alleged inebriation at the time. Other than that, I did thoroughly enjoy The Long Goodbye for its use of humour, stark flashes of reality, and the near non-stop barrage of wisecracks.
I had it at lucky #13.

Seen: 54/96

My List: 18
02. Blade Runner 2049 (2017) - #44
03. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - #42
04. John Wick (2014) - DNP
05. Blue Ruin (2013) - #82
06. Mother (2009) - #67
07. Dark City (1998) - #24
08. Strange Days (1995) - #65
The Man from Nowhere (2010) - #87
11. Se7en (1995) - #6
12. Reservoir Dogs (1992) - #16
13. The Long Goodbye (1973) - #5
14. Angel Heart (1987) - #31
15. Infernal Affairs (2002) - #91
16. Memento (2000) - #8
17. Memories of Murder (2003) - #25
Le Samouraï (1967) - #7
20. The Usual Suspects (1995) - #20
21. Oldboy (2003) - #52
23. Nightcrawler (2014) - #21
The Chaser (2008) - DNP 1-pointer

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence

What do you prefer?
Early bird would be nice!

So... who's sticking with their initial picks? Anybody new want to jump in the betting game?
I think I might've put Chinatown a couple spots too low, but I'll stick with it anyways.

A system of cells interlinked
Early reveal for me, as well.

Sticking with L.A. Confidential for today's guess, also.

My reasoning isn't sound, but I'm sticking Blade Runner as my guess for #4, because this isn't the Price is Right game where you always want to switch to the unrevealed door.

I’m sticking with L.A. Confidential as my guess for tomorrow.
I think I might've put Chinatown a couple spots too low, but I'll stick with it anyways.
Sticking with L.A. Confidential for today's guess, also.
L.A. Confidential would be my guess as well.
My reasoning isn't sound, but I'm sticking Blade Runner as my guess for #4, because this isn't the Price is Right game where you always want to switch to the unrevealed door.
I am gonna guess Taxi Driver shows today leaving the Top Three Chinatown, Blade Runner, and L.A. Confidential.
Ok, people. Let's get ready then for a reveal within the next half hour or so.

I am gonna guess Taxi Driver shows today leaving the Top Three Chinatown, Blade Runner, and L.A. Confidential.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

25lists407points
Taxi Driver
Director

Martin Scorsese, 1976

Starring

Robert De Niro, Jodie Foster, Cybill Shepherd, Harvey Keitel

TRAILERS

Taxi Driver - A mentally unstable veteran works as a nighttime taxi driver in New York City, where the perceived decadence and sleaze fuels his detachment from reality and his urge for violent action.

Here, TCM host Ben Mankiewicz shares his introduction and thoughts on the film.

I know a lot of you know that I'm not a big Scorsese guy, but Taxi Driver is one I like a lot. Probably my #2 Scorsese film. Anchored by a great and disturbing performance from Robert De Niro, it is one of those films that drags you into that uneasiness that surrounds Travis Bickle. That said, I didn't vote for it, but it's a damn fine film.

SEEN: 70/97
MY BALLOT: 21/25

My ballot  

Nailed it!

List facts!

Of course we're talking about you, Robert. This is, like, your fourth appearance in the countdown. You already had Jackie Brown (#18), Angel Heart (#31), and Heat (#32).

Taxi Driver is Martin Scorsese's third entry in the countdown, after The Departed (#53) and Shutter Island (#86).

Taxi Driver was my number 2. It's brilliantly directed with an excellent screenplay and fantastic performances.

Seen: 84/97.