The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I think it's top console now, and I've got a 360 which I enjoy, when you consider what you get for your money and the exclusives which have been released and are in the pipeline. The only flaw is the fair number of slightly substandard (and some extremely substandard), compared to the Xbox, mulitplatform titles, especially from the system's early days.

I read somewhere that Sony expect that the PS3 is only 25-30% into its working life, too. Maybe we'll get Gran Turismo 5 within the next decade?

Meat - Has your PS3 fixed itself? Everyone I know who had the problem are reporting success. It was due to a part not recognising the short month of February 2010, or something, and when I unboxed my old one this morning just to check, the clock was reading April 29th. Weird, but it seems to be fine.

In the Beginning...
Well, I played BF: Bad Company 2 last night. After an ordeal involving every Gamestop store in the area deciding NOT to have a midnight release (WTF?!), all my friends successfully cancelled our pre-orders and bought copies at Wal-Mart.

Things are largely unchanged from the demo, but there are some immediate revisions I don't like. For example, the spotting system - an incredible tool of balance in the demo - has been nerfed so that you can't spot enemies through smoke or among foliage. This might sound like a good thing, but it has made the system attempt to judge what conditions are right for spotting. So I can be looking at a sniper up on the hill, but I can't mark him because the game won't let me. Not cool. Especially since snipers are way too potent in this game.

Speaking of snipers, we played on a night time forest map that I know I will grow to hate. It's basically a sniper's paradise and I don't see how other classes will ever be able to operate.

Another map we played on was an autumn lake sort-of map, which was cool... until we found out that once you move up a tier on the gold rush, if you die, you respawn back at the beginning - not at the second tier. So there's essentially no way to put pressure on the defenders with fresh troops unless you're lucky enough to have a few people spawning their squad mates.

Oh, and one last gripe. They've upped the points required to unlock class skills, like defib paddles, mechanic drill, spy balls, etc. That's fine and all, except that it doesn't make sense when you're trying to gather points to unlock them, but you have nothing to do to yield points. Killing an enemy gets you 50 and a spot assist gets you 20, but as previously mentioned, spotting is nerfed, so what are you supposed to do?

I know it will take getting used to, but it sucks when they change the mechanics of the game on you. The changes will certainly make snipers happy, but the rest of us need some love too.

Although, I have to say, I'm just happy the servers were up last night.

A system of cells interlinked
Ok _ I need a great Sci-Fi game for the 360 - Something along the lines of a Deus Ex style.... Any thoughts?

A system of cells interlinked
ME2 is in the running, currently. Of course, I desire a dystopic future, with conspiracy and intrigue around every corner!

ME2 is in the running, currently. Of course, I desire a dystopic future, with conspiracy and intrigue around every corner!
Dystopia? Fallout 3.

Beware of losing yourself, though.

ME2 is more trad sci-fi but you'll get a kick out of either. Playing ME1 helps a lot with backstory whereas you can just drop right into Fallout 3 without playing any of the other games in the series. And it's so much more than 'Oblivion with guns'. Get the GOTY version - Apart from the extra content it removes the low level cap and lets you continue the game after you finish the main quest, which the original version didn't.

Conspiracy and intrigue in both? Check.

You ready? You look ready.
I picked me up a used copy of Heavy Rain.

EDIT: I just started playing a couple hours ago and got to the point where I save the hooker from Tony. Yea, the controls are just wayyy too clunky. However, I am rather engulfed in the story at this point, so I will need to finish it.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Red Ex 2 : The Missing Image Conspiracy ?

Day One Review of Bad Company 2

MW2 was a lot of fun and very addicting the closer you go to it's release. Although it didn't take players long to find out how weak the games multiplayer really was. Constant game breaking glitches every week, matchmaking bugs, unbalanced weapons, and the core game was just outrageously over defensive. Right now MW2 is a legend to gamers in bad game making.

Finally the salvation of the FPS gamer has come. Bad Company 2 has vastly superior netcode, weapon balance, and motivations of smart tactical play. It has beautiful graphics and doesn't ever suffer from draw distance (you see everything there is to see). It's just a dead smart game, made by gamers. You have unlimited draw distances, so snipers should be very overpowered - wrong, at very long distances your bullets will fall dramatically making it much harder to snipe. Guys camping in the base ahead ? Knock the base down , or spot the players inside and let your team fire on them. Your melee knife kills in one hit, but it doesn't heavily lock onto targets and takes awhile to use.

Not to say there aren't a few drawbacks of the game as well. It's a very team orientated game so you'll need at least 2 or 3 friends to play with you. Right now though it's very hard to get 8 or 12 friends into one game together. The EA servers were also having some trouble today and sometimes we'd be kicked out to the dashboard when searching for a game.

Once you get the game going it's hard to stop. Every match you will have epic moments ....

some from today

- Me , my squad , and two others stack into a helicopter and drive over the bombsite. We lay down some gatling fire on them and then all of us parachute out of the chopper onto the bomb site and take it over. (the chopper lands on a building and demolishes it)

- My squad is going through to a bombsite in a building with blown out walls. I clear the exposed building (thanks UAV) from long distance with a sniper rifle, then they rush in and blow it.

- hitting a giant ramp in your waverunner and landing deep in the enemy base

- running between two enemy tanks plating C4 on both of them and sneaking away from them , then blowing them both

- hitting a helicopter with your turret and having the chopper crash right in front of you

-

You ready? You look ready.
I'm about 3/4 of the way through Heavy Rain. Very engrossing. I'm really hoping everyone lives and I find out who the killer is because I ain't doing all of this again! I hear there are 18 different endings. I'd be sick of the game by then probably.

ok, i've been scanning this thread, and I noticed a lot of you have played AC2. Havent gotten it yet, but this issue came up elsewhere, and I wanted to hear what MoFo die hard gamers think about the DRM issue. If ya'll have mentioned it before, it just means I'm the schmuck that missed it!

Ubisoft Patches Assassin's Creed 2 DRM, Allows Local Saves
Thursday, March 04, 2010 - by Joel Hruska
There's two bits of Ubisoft news today, one of which we're still investigating. First up, the company apparently payed attention to the outrage of gamers who discovered the DRM in the PC version of Assassin's Creed II would throw them out of game without saving if they lost an Internet connection in a single-player game. AC2 won't be released until March 16, but the company has already issued a patch that will allow gamers to resume playing in the event of a connection break, rather than forcing them back to the last saved game. The second (and amusing) snippet of news is that Ubisoft debuted this new controversial DRM system with the release of Silent Hunter 5, only to have it allegedly cracked within 24 hours of launch. We're currently in the process of confirming this and will report back with our findings.

Ubisoft does get a point or two, however grudgingly, for acknowledging supreme customer unhappiness and patching its ridiculously penalizing DRM scheme but unfortunately neither the medical community nor gaming developers have ever found a way to patch stupid. Based on available evidence, we have no choice but to conclude that there are several high-ranking suits at Ubisoft afflicted with this serious condition. It doesn't matter if we're writing TPS Reports, downloading files, surfing the Internet, or playing a game—we (by which I mean, every human on Earth old enough to hammer their face into a keyboard) collectively HATE losing data or our place in it. This is why nifty features like autosaving documents, web browsers that can remember where you were, and resume download functionality were invented in the first place. It's why DVDs have scene selection, and tape recorders can rewind/fast forward.

If you actually pause and think about it, humanity has pumped out a consistent level of nerdrage over losing our place for a pretty damned long time. The card catalog and Dewey Decimal System were simultaneously developed in 1876 (by two different people) because the previous library organization system consisted of throwing all the books into random heaps around the room and it was pissing people off. It wasn't thirty minutes after Gutenberg put his first book on display in 1440 that a disgruntled competitor invented the dog-ear.

The transition from scrolls to codices (books), which began in the 1st century, was driven partly by a desire to better organize, protect, and preserve data, and included the invention of both the bookmark and the index. We can trace this desire all the way back to the very first civilizations and even into prehistoric times. What did our forebears variously paint, chisel, or drag a lot of into geometric shapes? Rock. Why? Because it wasn't going anywhere. You can bet that when Khufu was watching the Great Pyramid rise from the Egyptian desert, he wasn't asking himself: "What happens if I lose my place?" Skip ahead 4,576 years (give or take a decade), and it's still Khufu's pyramid. This is why Khufu is sometimes surreptiously worshipped as the Lord of Saved Games (hieroglyphs drawn in Cheetos grease by caffeine-jittered hands depict him as an Egyptian Pharaoh in his prime, with a Legend of Zelda cartridge for a head.)

Somehow The Powers That Be at Ubisoft forgot this cultural imperative. We'd like to be the first to sincerely thank Ubisoft for doing the right thing and patching out this particular aspect of its new DRM system. We're still left asking the same question we did last week, however: Who, exactly, thought this was a good idea?

Well, got myself a copy of Battlefield: Bad Company 2, but somehow real life keeps getting in the way, so even though I installed it a couple of days ago I haven't played it yet. Probably this evening, though.

Well, got myself a copy of Battlefield: Bad Company 2, but somehow real life keeps getting in the way, so even though I installed it a couple of days ago I haven't played it yet. Probably this evening, though.
How the hell do you do that????? I can bearly last the drive home when it comes to buying/renting a new game. Let alone wait to play it. You sir are a zen master

I usually can't, as well, but this is the first time in awhile I've bought a game like this that I wasn't already dying to play. I've run through a lot of the games I was particularly excited about, so that factors into it a bit. But yeah, it's also a testament to just how many random things in the new house had/have to get done, too!

In the Beginning...
ok, i've been scanning this thread, and I noticed a lot of you have played AC2. Havent gotten it yet, but this issue came up elsewhere, and I wanted to hear what MoFo die hard gamers think about the DRM issue. If ya'll have mentioned it before, it just means I'm the schmuck that missed it!
I think it's pretty brainless. I don't see the advantages of requiring players to be online just to play the game.

Make sure you report back when you finally get to it. I'm not far into the Campaign myself, but it seems solid enough. There are some frustrating bits where it feels like you just can't get through an area, but a little trial and error eventually turns the tide.

Meanwhile, the Multiplayer is stellar. I mean, stellar.

Yeah, it seems like the FPS games are focusing more and more on the MP. I know a number of people who don't even play the campaign.

I'll definitely poke back in here when I've had a chance to play it! It's stretching my system a little (it recommends a slightly faster dual-core processor than the one I have), but it should be okay.

PC games seem to have been inflicted with some utterly daft anti-piracy measures in recent years which is a testament to how easy they are to copy, I guess. To be honest, I don't know why they bother being this complex because the only people it's gonna harm are the honest consumers who've bought the thing to begin with.

AC2 on PC has already been cracked and released, and you can be damn sure that those who obtain the game that way won't have any DRM problems.

I'm decrepit enough to remember owning ZX Spectrum games featuring Lenslok. Now that really was a bugger if you lost your little bit of plastic.

bought today from work Heavy rain used but still the game came last week so it's not that bad. So far its amazing the things you can do its just like a movie reminds me a lot of Indigo Prophecy but so far fascinated