"Getting To Know You" Song Tournament

Tools    

ROUND 4

Sir Mix-A-Lot - Baby Got Back vs. The Rolling Stones - Jumpin Jack Flash

The Yardbirds - You're A Better Man Than I vs. The Beatles - Penny Lane (Alternate Link for U.S.)

Michael Jackson - Rock With You vs. Men Without Hats - Safety Dance

Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun vs. Garth Brooks - Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)

Sniff 'n the Tears - Driver's Seat vs. The Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want

After the Fire - Der Kommissar vs. Chuck Berry - Johnny B Goode

Bobby Bland - Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City vs. Madness - Our House

Johnny Cash - San Quentin vs. 4 Non Blondes - What's Up

Eminem - Lose Yourself vs. John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John - Summer Nights

I'm quite disappointed that some of the songs haven't been explained.
I'm very disappointed too. I thought the whole point of this getting to know you tournament was to do just that. Less than half the people here have given us reasons why they've nominated their songs, and even us Brits have been more open than we usually care to be! Shame on you uninformative peoples!

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken

The Yardbirds - You're A Better Man Than I vs. The Beatles - Penny Lane (Alternate Link for U.S.)

Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun vs. Garth Brooks - Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)

Sniff 'n the Tears - Driver's Seat vs. The Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want

Songs that went out for me in round 3 were this one and this one.

The first is purely because I have natural blonde hair, the second is very personal and whereas before this started I would have shared that reason here I now won't bother opening it up to potential ridicule.
Ah Blanket was yours hey Chyp. I've been rooting for that song all along. It's s great song and she has such a lovely voice. It's a shame you won't be sharing why you chose it

Trouble with a capital "T"
Just in case anyone doesn't get the thinly veiled reference from Citizen Rules with his "glass houses" comment here's what he's talking about as he expressed it via pm's entitled "Was this post meant for me?":

If he really wants to equate my stating that I'm not voting for a song one time (on page 24) from someone on the grounds that they have already basically accused the tournament host of rigging things against their songs (on page 20) and that has already declared themself out of the tournament (on that same page 20, four pages prior to my comment) then that of course is his prerogative. Not something I agree with but as I say that's up to him.

As far as the "glass houses" comment goes - this is coming from someone that responded to the comment by Gbg that "I think it would be pretty funny if one of Derek's or Raul's songs wins this tournament." with this:
and this:

then all I can say is please take care when you get down from that high horse of yours as it must be one heck of a drop.

I said in the pm's I wasn't interested in any fight he was so obviously spoiling for and I still stand by that but equally I'll not just sit idly by with no reaction whatsoever when it's obvious little digs will continue to be made when the opportunity presents.

You're disclosing my PM in a public post! that's the lowest of the low! It's pathetic. You insult me first in an off hand way...and I do you the courtesy of not saying anything on the board but contact you direct so we can iron out our differences, and then you back stab me by posting my PM on a board, Big Mistake!

ROUND 4:

The Yardbirds - You're A Better Man Than I vs. The Beatles - Penny Lane

I'll be back in an hour. I DO have more to say to about this.
That's too long. Impatient me can't wait.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
A bunch of mine were cut in the last round. Oh, you people!

I will go into all of them later, though. I have something to do now. So, I don't have time to be online. And tonight/tomorrow we are getting snow. So...

This is your first experience hearing about snow from me. I swear that more falls in front of my garage than anywhere else in the entire city. And I always get plowed in (I swear to God that I'd just finished shoveling and the guy who plows for a nearby apartment building literally plowed me in as I was standing there ). So, while the rest of the world goes on with life after it snows, I tend to have to spend quite a bit of mine shoveling what's fallen.

Basically, what seems like pointless nonsense with what I am telling you right now is no more than me saying that I will most likely not make an appearance until late tomorrow night or early Sunday. And then I will reveal which songs were mine and why.

Also, I kind of want to wait to see if my last song will be kicked out in this round. If so, then I can include that with the others.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Let's get back to the fight....

Let's not.

Chypmunk just dropped out of the tournament, and maybe the site.

This was supposed to be a fun tournament. I thought we were all adults, but I guess I was wrong. I worked in a kindergarten class with children who acted better than some people here have acted during this tournament.

2 more of mine knocked out.

My wife used to sing You're No Good to me all the time. She didn't fully trust me for a long time, with how we met, people warning her, and the way I acted. One day about 5 years ago while sleeping on the sofa, I woke up to the house phone ringing. I saw that the caller id was that of one of my cell phones, and I almost died right there. Of course, it was my wife calling from one of my phones. She had come home from work early, only to find me sleeping next to 2 iPhones. She didn't even know I had 1, and so she grabbed them, left, and looked through them. I had to go meet her in a public place and hand over the house key in order to get my phones back. She might not look like it, but she doesn't mess around. In an instant, I had lost everything with no chance to give an explanation. She got a 30 day restraining order against me, just to keep me away. I stayed up on the other side of Boston, anxiously awaiting the hearing date with the judge. I went to my old bar, played You're No Good on the jukebox, and completely broke down. I then realized that even though I hadn't been mistreating her, I had neglected and deceived her. Prior to this moment, my thoughts were focused on the problems I was having. The judge decided that I wasn't a danger to her and said I could go home. He said it was one of the most bizarre cases he had ever heard. It took a while, but we talked and went to marriage counseling, and she decided to give us another try. Since then, I have been an excellent husband, and she now trusts me completely. It's perhaps my favorite song from a female artist, and Captain Spaulding was the only one to guess it was my nomination.

The Twilight Zone was also my nomination. I've gotten into this a little bit before so I'll try to keep it short. I started with sports gambling when I was 19 years old. I did plenty of winning and losing, but then everything changed in 2006 at the age of 35 when we bought our house. I didn't feel like we could really afford it, or at least afford it and still enjoy life. I hadn't gambled in about a year, but decided to start again hoping for some extra cash. I always bet with bookies and never told my wife. After 6 weeks of football, I was up 14 grand. 3 weeks later when it was gone, I kept going. I estimate that over the next 8 years I paid out about $500,000. But the thing is, how do I pay any money as a blue collar guy, whose paycheck gets directly deposited into my wife's checking account so she can pay the bills? I was in a constant scramble to pay this money without my wife finding out anything. Personal loans, borrowing money from everyone, maxing out every credit card I could get my hand on, and I was still friggin gambling. Credit cards have a cash advance limit, so I would go on craigslist and sell $500 gift cards for $400. I had to set up a secret mailing address, intercept mail, and do all kinds of sneaky things. I had absolutely no control over myself. There were times that what I had to pay in weekly interest alone, was more than my entire paycheck, which I wasn't touching anyway. There's no way I could make that kind of extra money unless I was doing something shady. I would leave home Sunday about 4:00pm, and I wouldn't come back until Saturday morning. After work I had to hustle for extra cash. All I would get during that time was quick naps in my car. After coming home Saturday morning, I'd sleep for a few hours, then leave again for the night. I'd return Sunday morning, sleep a few hours, then start it all over again. I did this for 3 straight years, not even taking a break for holidays. I was sick, and living off of Redbull and coffee. My wife thought I was working at night at the convention centers, and I used to give her about $100 for every night, telling her that was what I was making, but it was all lies. Just being out all night every night brings craziness. I'd be in the hole $80,000 at a time, then I'd lose another $20,000 in a weekend. I was going mad and would cry every day. Nobody knew what I was going through, complete desperation and hopelessness, and on the verge of suicide. My father knew some of the guys, and found out a couple times when I lost big. He told me I either needed to move across the country or rob a bank. I would search the side of the road for a bag of money. I used to hear this song all the time on the radio. "My whole life spins into a frenzy", for obvious reasons. "Where am I to go now that I've gone too far?", because I was going through it alone. All of the other lyrics I relate to as well. I lost all my friends because I had no time for them; I was spending all my time gambling and trying to pay down my debts. I finally stopped gambling for good in 2011 about a month after I joined this forum. Last December, I paid off the last of my debts. Miraculously I came out of everything just fine, keeping my home and my wife. I have been very fortunate, and all my troubles were of my own doing, but for a long time, I was truly in "The Twilight Zone".

(somewhere in a lonely hotel room,
There's a guy starting to realize
That eternal fate has turned its back on him,
It's two a.m...........)

It's two a.m., the fear has gone
I'm sittin' here waitin', the gun still warm
Maybe my connection is tired of takin' chances
Yeah there's a storm on the loose, sirens in my head
I'm wrapped up in silence, all circuits are dead
I cannot decode, my whole life spins into a frenzy

Help I'm steppin' into the twilight zone
The place is a madhouse, feels like being cloned
My beacon's been moved under moon and star
Where am I to go, now that I've gone too far
Soon you will come to know,
When the bullet hits the bone
Soon you will come to know, when the bullet hits the bone

I'm falling down a spiral, destination unknown
A double-crossed messenger, all alone
I can't get no connection, can't get through, where are you
Well the night weighs heavy on his guilty mind
This far from the borderline
And when the hit man comes
He knows damn well he has been cheated

My eliminated nominations-

Bob Seger-Ramblin Gamblin Man

Golden Earring-Twilight Zone

Foreigner-Dirty White Boy

Linda Ronstadt-You're No Good

Styx-Too Much Time on My Hands

Guns N' Roses-Ain't it Fun

Head East-Never Been Any Reason

Well, wait a minute, Cricket -- and of course you don't have to answer if you wanna be all mysterious -- but what was on those iPhones????