The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
All these Metal Gear reviews rolling in. Great news everyone, apparently this is the least batshiz crazy one yet, with 80 different ways to complete each objective. Not a single bit of hyperbole.
This conflicts me. I guess that having tight gameplay and nonsense melodrama was too much to hope for.

Anyway, seems like Nvidia is trying to address the problem of having a multitude of local co-op games on PC with the platform itself not being conducive to making the experience enjoyable or even sometimes feasible.

I used to use programs years ago which spoofed a LAN and provided internet multiplayer on games which didn't have it built-in. Hopefully Nvidia's solution is less laggy.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Anyway, seems like Nvidia is trying to address the problem of having a multitude of local co-op games on PC with the platform itself not being conducive to making the experience enjoyable or even sometimes feasible.

I used to use programs years ago which spoofed a LAN and provided internet multiplayer on games which didn't have it built-in. Hopefully Nvidia's solution is less laggy.
Oo nice, I thought it was just that they could take over the controls. Potential virtual lan support for the likes of Gang Beasts and other couch favourites then? Sweet

Yep, a lifeline for all those games I bought without realising they were local co-op. Samurai Gunn, I'm particularly looking at you.

EDIT - Since Gamespot have given MGS5 10/10, here's the list of other games they've given top score to:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Soul Calibur (Dreamcast)
Chrono Cross
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Grand Theft Auto IV
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Bayonetta 2
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Journey (PS4)

Thoughts?

I'd say that THPS3 definitely deserves it, as does Journey. I remember them saying that GTA IV got top marks because it was the first game to truly be 'next gen' and not necessarily perfect.

Soul Calibur is still as tight as a drum and, given a few months distance, I'd probably end up agreeing with Witcher 3.

Not played Zelda, Mario Galaxy 2 or Bayonetta 2 and it's been a long time since I played Chrono Cross.

Also, games are dead:

I've only played 2 of those. I would maybe consider Ocarina a 10, but not one of the top-ten games of all time, as the few 10s they've given out seems to imply. Chrono Cross is more like a 6, maybe a 7 (it's been a long time since I played it too though).

I love seeing people get fired up over Journey's score because of its length. Might play it one day if it goes on plus.

Bayonetta 2 seems awfully random, but it must have been solid. Internet sez Gamespot grades without a curve, so it must be true.

Being an Uncharted fanamaniac, it's good to see someone that didn't give em a perfect score. IGN always seemed to have Miller review the series, making the result a foregone conclusion.

I'm down with MGSV getting a 10, it sure as hell looks like it. This actually looks next gen from what I've seen. Cheers to you tatty for getting 60fps on a console. I'm never big on multiplayer, but even it looks ridiculous (what a cute lil' doggie).

Looking forward to day one and hoping nobody can get a used copy for a month. I think Kojima may have a lil' Axl Rose in him.

Here's to the Fallout vs. MGS debate starting.

Bayonetta 2 is WiiU exclusive so I doubt I'll ever play it. The first game, however, is one of my favourite character action games and the sequel apparently improves on it in every way so I'm not really surprised at the high score.

I can't think of a single thing I'd improve about Journey. It even makes PSN randoms like xxx_420smokehole_ et all helpful co-op partners, although after I play it the people you meet tend to go by flowerchild69.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
What happened to Konami and Silent Hill is sad. I hope they sell SH. For some time I was worried Capcom may fall like Konami but as things stand that's behind them. While on topic of 10/10 games, Silent Hill 2 is 10/10 for me.

By the way, Alan Wake is good, but nothing special, some good things, some bad ones.

Anyone want me to check out any games at PAX Prime and report back/take pictures/whatever? I'm pretty determined to give Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes a go, but other than that I'm pretty open-minded about where to spend whatever free time I have (I get the impression I'll be pretty busy, but can get people to cover for me long enough to check out at least a few other booths).

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided if you have a chance. Played last Deus Ex and it was pretty good, interested in sequel.

Anyone want me to check out any games at PAX Prime and report back/take pictures/whatever?

Greg Miller running the show for this one. Hope you get to it.

Anyone want me to check out any games at PAX Prime and report back/take pictures/whatever? I'm pretty determined to give Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes a go, but other than that I'm pretty open-minded about where to spend whatever free time I have (I get the impression I'll be pretty busy, but can get people to cover for me long enough to check out at least a few other booths).
There's one question that you and I probably both have: What is Firewatch?

Anyway, Funstock Digital have got a pre-order code for The Phantom Pain (Steam serial) which brings it down to £27.99. Steam has it at £45.99. Never used them myself but they seem to get decent reviews.

AUG-COUPMAIL-PRE30

Code runs until the end of August.

Just got passed the hardest part of Batman: Arkham Knight....finally. Plus I am shocked to have found out who the identity of the Arkham Knight is. I couldn't believe it!!! I'm not gonna say because it's totally a shocking revelation.

Dig, I'll see if I can swing by the Deus Ex booth.

There's one question that you and I probably both have: What is Firewatch?
I'm trying to see if they're showing it there; not seeing the company on the Exhibitors list, but I'll let you know. But yeah, that's one I'd definitely like to see up close. Thanks for the reminder. That one goes on the "Try Really Hard to See" list. On the "See If You End Up Having Plenty of Time" list is Darkest Dungeon, which I know you're a big fan of.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Purely if you end up with more time than you thought, and are near the Elite stand at booth 6808, see if you can wrangle when we'll see some footage of their Horizon moon landings? How close are they to getting the textures in etc?

(I think they'll mainly be laying on the CQC arena mode, and will just say 'Soon', but you never know )

---

In other news, I've found a way to get my Mad Max fix while I wait for the 1st

Imponte Phoenix is the perfect tideover. Fast, fish-taily, and liable to splinter into a million pieces

(Just a shame I jumped the only one I found into some water. Who heard of water in the apocalypse!)

Dig, I'll see if I can swing by the Deus Ex booth.

I'm trying to see if they're showing it there; not seeing the company on the Exhibitors list, but I'll let you know. But yeah, that's one I'd definitely like to see up close. Thanks for the reminder. That one goes on the "Try Really Hard to See" list. On the "See If You End Up Having Plenty of Time" list is Darkest Dungeon, which I know you're a big fan of.
Darkest Dungeon's a very interesting one. I loved the few early hours I played and then set it aside until it got a 1.0 release.

Apparently a lot of changes they've made since then haven't gone down well with players and the last patch has seen options to turn a number of them on or off. Admission of guilt or deviating from their vision as a sop to some vocal internet randoms?

Aw, no Jonathan Blow there, either. And no Twelve Minutes. That said, it was cool that I asked them both (and the Firewatch people) on Twitter and within a day they'd all written back personally. The future!

Aw, no Jonathan Blow there, either. And no Twelve Minutes. That said, it was cool that I asked them both (and the Firewatch people) on Twitter and within a day they'd all written back personally. The future!
Yep, I use The Twitter as a means of direct one-two-one communication these days, it's great for that. It's kinda like an instant messenger (remember them? ) with a cooldown filter.

Anyway, quite possibly the cutest thing ever - Dave 'ex-Midway, current Divekick/Killer Instinct boss' Lang playing Capsule Force on Twitch while his son/daughter looks on. 5 minutes should be enough to make you Awwwwwww.

Lang is the loudest, brashes and most sweary (apart from Swery, natch) game dev I know. A glimpse of the man behind the mask...