Oscar Best Pictures - Why???

Tools    

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Eternal Sunshine the worst? Being John Malkovich second worst? WTF?

Synecdoche, New York was good, but it was just too much. I adore Eternal Sunshine and Malkovich, but Synecdoche was too surreal. It was surreal to the point where I felt a lot of detachment from its characters.
Keep in mind that I think that all 4 are great films. I think that S, NY is one of the most dense films because of its constant surrealist tendencies. Not only does every scene have layered meaning and constant resonance, but it's also one of the most immediately, and deeply moving films I've watched, it's incredibly brutal, but brutal because it's true. I definitely think that Adaptation. is better than Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine, the last two flip-flop for me. Adaptation. has tons to say about the creative process, Hollywood's flaws, depression, cliches, and tons more. What's also astonishing is that Kaufman and the script are literally one in this film. As soon as he's told that voice-over is lazy, the script tosses it. And the entire third act is a joy, and one of the most hysterical endings I've seen, especially when you see it with people who don't get it.

Eternal Sunshine the worst? Being John Malkovich second worst? WTF?

Synecdoche, New York was good, but it was just too much. I adore Eternal Sunshine and Malkovich, but Synecdoche was too surreal. It was surreal to the point where I felt a lot of detachment from its characters.
That's fitting, considering its main character was detached from real life.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotard_delusion
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Keep in mind that I think that all 4 are great films. I think that S, NY is one of the most dense films because of its constant surrealist tendencies. Not only does every scene have layered meaning and constant resonance, but it's also one of the most immediately, and deeply moving films I've watched, it's incredibly brutal, but brutal because it's true. I definitely think that Adaptation. is better than Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine, the last two flip-flop for me. Adaptation. has tons to say about the creative process, Hollywood's flaws, depression, cliches, and tons more. What's also astonishing is that Kaufman and the script are literally one in this film. As soon as he's told that voice-over is lazy, the script tosses it. And the entire third act is a joy, and one of the most hysterical endings I've seen, especially when you see it with people who don't get it.
Ohh. One director did these four films? Now that I think of it, it makes sense. I have watched these four films but I didn't know they were done by the same director. A rate them as follows:

Malkovich

Sunshine

Adaptation

Synedocke New York

They are pretty much on the same level. I agree Synedocke New York is amazing, just not among my favorites because it is not my style. My sister loved it though.

Ohh. One director did these four films? Now that I think of it, it makes sense. I have watched these four films but I didn't know they were done by the same director. A rate them as follows:

Malkovich

Sunshine

Adaptation

Synedocke New York
Not the same director. The same screenwriter. Of those, Kaufman only directed Synecdoche, New York.

Being John Malkovich and Adaptation. were directed by Spike Jonze, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was directed by Michel Gondry.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future

Malkovich

Sunshine

Adaptation

Synedocke New York
Kaufman is a clear exception to classical auteur theory, his films are all easily distinguishable as usually directly from his mind, or, more correctly, exist within it. Also, just a pet peeve, Adaptation. is meant to be spelled with a period.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
True, but as a Kaufman fan, I think Eternal Sunshine is the weakest of his four successes. I'd rank them from worst to best: Eternal Sunshine, Being John Malkovich, Adaptation., then Synecdoche, New York. Granted, his weakest film in this set is far from bad (Though Human Nature and Confessions of a Dangerous Mind weren't great).
That's exactly how I rank them.

I enjoyed Confessions. It's not close to being in the same league as Synecdoche, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

I'd rank them in the exact opposite order: Synecdoche, New York being his "weakest" effort (still like it a lot), then Adaptation., Being John Malkovich and finally Eternal Sunshine. SNY is very dense with crazy ideas and themes; I enjoyed it for the mystery and Kaufman's patently unique style of storytelling, but I would need to see it at least once more to try and really make some sense out of it.