For the first time I'm watching...

→ in
Tools    

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Final Twilight

I didnt like the movie.
I just had to jump in here.

My son asked me to watch this last Sunday and I couldn't believe how bad this film was. My students are 13 and the girls were all reading the books earlier in the year, and when I came in on Monday and said something like, "OMG, I just saw Twilight. What a terrible movie," most of the boys in the room let out a whoop and a cheer. It was pretty funny. Some of the girls just looked a bit sad....

How did that book sell so many copies?

I watched The International last night... I gather you stopped watching it?

Welcome to the human race...
If this thread is any indication, TONGO tends to watch movies in stops and starts.

Great post Tramp. Im glad the boys in your class feel its stupid too. Tell them in an extra installment of Harry Potter the lad should kill all the Twilight vampires.

Not always Mr I, but lately yes. Today Im having to stop watching The International because The Ultimate Fighter Season 9 marathon is on today, and I havent seen any of them. The finale fights are tonight!

Banned from Hollywood.
Actually that looks damn good. Thanks PW Ill check it out.

Its not if the films artsy. For instance Ive seen alot of Steven Soderberghs work, and be it early or later works he's hit or miss. If the director lets his style overpower the story both are lessened. Be it David Lynch, Oliver Stone, Soderbergh, or whoever imo story comes first. Sometimes the artsy directed movies, like anything Sophia Coppollas done, is pure drivel. She has promise she'll never realize due to her being overpushed. Why is she going to push herself to develop as a director? She coulda been the next Marty Scorsese but alas we'll never know.

I am sorry to disappoint you but LOst in Translation is driven by an incredible script. It's more character driven than arty....

..but then again if you're looking for real art try Stranger than Paradise by Jarmusch or anything by Kieslowski

Back to the flick The International, and remember this threads all spoilers. Am I the only person ham enough to do this?! Cmon! Theres just gotta be another obnoxious opinion out there!?

30 min - Im not a mark usually for fair skinny blonds, but Naomi Watts (fugedaboudit) She's a keeper! Clive Owens is reminding me of a young british Harrison Ford. Hasnt quite mastered vulnerability like Harry though still too tough. LOL! He just storms into the house and smashes the phone open without saying a word then shows him the wire.

Love how the high end spy movies theres always some always some mega sniper extremely precise and shiny. Never some redneck with a dipcup.

more International...

39 min - It happens everytime. They convince someone to help them, he says Ill talk to you after the speech, and you know hes a dead man. Competent cinematography. I remember seeing Heaven and this director had talent.

1 hour - LOL! Like how they lied and scared the crap out of grumpy ole Dr Isaacson. The one thing I like is the great acting. Makes the slow points less so. Yknow with that lil immersion ability in all. Hollywood should recruit from the stage alot more then they do.

1 hr 15 min - Whoa! Just when I thought the movie was gonna be all talk it. Very scary bulletwound to the neck, and hes dead. Him dragging the assassin to the stairwell reminds me of the old John Woo movies. What and where is this video museum thingy theyre fighting in? Very odd looking.

Blech, I hated that movie. I did read the books around 2006, back then they were a little okay, I wouldn't say they were the best books in the world or even close though...
Did you hear that the actor who played Edward, Rob Pattinson or something got hit by a cab recently trying to get away from crazy fangirls?
I know it has nothing to do with this thread, but I couldn't think of anything else worth writing...

The Lord of the Rings

Final of The International...

1 hr 37 min - Ah italian cliffs. Need to post in Stunning Pictures Of World thread again.

I like Clive Owen, but he comes across as too tough in this. This role would have been better cast with someone wimpier. His presence instinctively I feel theres going to be action. Hes very tense almost like trying to carry the rhythm of the film on his shoulders alone. Mueller-Stahl is great in this. The german Wilford Brimley! LOL!

Final - Well if you paid attention to the closing credits the last newspaper headline said the U.S. Senate was going to investigate illicite activity so you just know it will all work out.

Ah well I was wondering throughout the movie how they could stop an international bank, and the country of China from distributing small arms to the third world. The answer was they couldnt. This movie was like a 70s style international crime drama. Was bearable due to the great acting, and directing. They should have chosen a better script imo. More steak less sizzle as they say.

Im open to any film suggestions unless someone wants to take a turn too.

more International...

... What and where is this video museum thingy theyre fighting in? Very odd looking.
I've not seen the film, so I don't know when the shootout occurs, but I know there's a big action scene in the Guggenheim Museum, so that's probably the what. Well, not the actual place, but a scale mock-up.

As for where? My guess is the Manhatten one, though there is one in Bilbao. I don't know of any others, though that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Yeah, it was in the Guggenheim, Manhattan. Didn't realise it was mock up but suppose that makes sense. Was probably best bit of the film for me, having visited there recently.

Thanks guys, and easily the best scene in the film. If this film had 3 more scenes like that itd been the next Eiger Sanction. Well at least the threads climbing from the depths with Twilight. Any suggestions?

I am burdened with glorious purpose
The architecture in the movie was like a character -- meant to make Clive look small as he fights a global organization. Sorta perfect timing!

I watched the special features and it was pretty cool how they re-created the Guggenheim and they also used some big office complex that is owned by Volkswagen (who had never let in a film crew before) to double as the bank.

I found the film pretty interesting because it didn't follow the usual thriller conventions (no romance and the woman actually seemed smart as opposed to just sexy, the ending wasn't exactly tidy or fulfilling, and the hero didn't always succeed), the story was rather contemporary and thought-provoking, and the look of the film was cool. But overall, the film was missing something.

And TONGO, it looks like you weren't exactly wowed by the movie either.

Ok somebody pick the next one -
Mongol,
Miracle At St. Anna,
or a movie with Ray Liotta called Powder Blue?!

Mongol.

If I can get the time (and the mood) over the next few days, I'll do one of these. I've got the '79 version of Dracula sitting around and I've been meaning to take a look at it. I only bought it because someone on here (Holden or mark f, I think) mentioned how good Frank Langella was in the role, so it'll kind of be a 'come full circle' thing if I do this.

Mongol.

If I can get the time (and the mood) over the next few days, I'll do one of these. I've got the '79 version of Dracula sitting around and I've been meaning to take a look at it. I only bought it because someone on here (Holden or mark f, I think) mentioned how good Frank Langella was in the role, so it'll kind of be a 'come full circle' thing if I do this.
Excellent! I dimly remember it, but Im sure its commentworthy.

Great my disc of Mongol is scratched. I got nothin! Had to wait two weeks for that scratched disc!

Well I took Mongol back to the store, and they gave me a free credit. Yeah no Mongul though. Miracle At St Annas 2 hr 40 min, and I know a buddy of mine wanted to see this movie so I grabbed it.

Fast & The Furious 4

First 15 min - I actually never saw 2, and didnt know there was even a 3. Oh yeah you can tell theres gonna be a lotta posing going in this. Looks like Vin and crew are trying to hijack some blind trucker unable to see the circus driving up on him. Daaaamn so they jack 2 cargos out of 4 and Senore Oblivio is unphased hes pulling half the weight. If Mad Max was driving that rig hed be serving Vin a cup of shut the hell up - oh! He bailed with his iguana out of the truck! This reads like Cheech & Chong.
Remember when a bouncing tanker of gas is coming towards you its just best to floor it and charge.

Oh FFS! Is it possible there could be a movie where the guy doesnt tell his lover sidekick "Oh its too dangerous for you baby!"?! Just once Id like him to say "Damn woman! Youre getting fat and I need someone younger that could keep up." Michelle Rodriguez would slug him, theyd kiss passionately, and its better than the typical Barnaby Jones old assed dialogue routine scene. Oh he leaves her of course. Destined to live isolated and tortured due to his loneliness but secure in his mind cause shes safe.

Fast n Furious 4

30 min - So he leaves her so she wont get hurt, and then shes killed. Like how they did the flashback scene. Ive always felt they should use computer animation sparingly in hollywood.
Rather than go thru hundreds of David Parks just have the guy that gave you the name pick which one he is! Btw Jordana Brewster is HAWT! OI!

Ha! They found the real David Parks because unlike the others Parks drives a souped up car. LOL! The cops n Vin found out thru Parks theres a "big race" ?!?!? Thatd just be perfect for this movie wouldnt it?! So you know what time it is?! Its soup up your car time folks! For a movie like this it equates to the Rocky trining scene jog music and all. My Chevy Cavalier wouldnt do well in this movie, and that reminds me I need to get my oil changed.

Fast and the Furious 4

52 min - LOL! Halfway thru the race the cop gets lost! Hes yelling at his souped up GPS ok thats funny. LMFAO! The cop just apologized to his car! Btw I think Vin Diesel is singlehandedly trying to bring back the Izod shirt.

Michelle Rodriguez better not be dead in this flick cause drinking problem or not shes more of a draw to me than cop boy. Damn. Vin just walks away from some skinny french chick in a see thru shirt with prominent radio dials. LOL! We all would be branded as queers for doing that, but Vin we just know he's cooler, and stronger. Be like Vin.

Siiigh sadly I gtg to work. Why cant I be a mega racer han solo like girl magnet wanted by the law?!