Movie Tab II

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Crash (2004, Paul Haggis)

3.5/5

....or Emile Zola Goes To Hollywood.

Haggis sure knows how to pack an emotional punch.

But...

There's so much determinism a-goin' on here that Crash was close to turning into an episode of Brit-based Hospital soap Casualty (the fun in watching this program is imagining how the newly introduced character is destined to injure themselves and thus, end up in...well...casualty) without the bloke from The Long Good Friday coming along with a cup of tea and a large mop.

That said, there's a lot to like here, performance & script-wise (as well as Thandie Newton).

I'm off to listen to the commentary.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I'm glad you liked it. Haven't seen Casualty, so had no comparison there. I would find the determinism a bit heavy, except it's the point, it seems to me.

Re: Thandie Newton, all I can say is "I agree".

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I would find the determinism a bit heavy, except it's the point, it seems to me.
I would say it's the point too, but thought it was sometimes more heavy-handed than heavy.

The Devil's Backbone -

Im not one for movies with subtitles cause i always end up missing something, either whats actually going on cause Im to busy reading the screen, or whats actually being said cause Im to busy watching the action. anyway this was a good movie not at all what I expected, because of previews 4.5/5

I'm going to watch it again though, cause with me somethings dont hit me until the second time around and after looking through a few message boards i want to go back and see a few things. Like the whole thing with bomb.....

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Thursday Next
Solaris - very good, put the pace does start to drag a little towards the end.
2002 -or- 1972?

I borrowed that for months but could never force myself to watch it, 2 discs was pretty off putting especially as i was told it was really boring.

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
I borrowed that for months but could never force myself to watch it, 2 discs was pretty off putting especially as i was told it was really boring.
Now you have to watch it, explore it, let it take you to places and see if it's boring for yourself.

A system of cells interlinked
Ack!! Watch it! I love that movie...

Meanwhile:

Final Fantasy : Advent Children - I liked a lot of the animation and there was much nostalgia with the material, but, the screenplay was weak and the music...man, some of the music was just BAD.

Some great action scenes, though...

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I sent him my copy in the mail.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
It is slow, and boring in parts perhaps, but still worth watching. I don't know why it's on 2 discs, it's only 2 1/2 hours long.

I can't wait to see Advent Children either...although I am worried it will ruin the story. From what I've read, it's not brilliant...

Munich - Eric Bana is to star in the next L'oreal shampoo advert.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
How did you get it :O
I'd had it for quite some time by way of what we talked about earlier. If you are dying for a region free release, you can pick one up here.

Watched all 3 back to back.

Raiders of the Lost Ark 10/10

Definitely the best of the 3

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom 8/10

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade 8/10

Mulholland Dr-

As i was watching it again i came to think the startish was Elena Harring's dream and not Watt's but while looking at Lynch's 10 clues, i'm sure there's more than one dream though not sure who's. Reality is questionable, it's there, it must be. Chronology also is an issue i never gave as much thought to before. I think Club Silencio is possibly the key scene "it's all an illusion", perhaps the film was all an illusion hence the closing shot of the solitary microphone stand....

All the same, 7 viewings later it's still ****ing up my head.