Mingusing's 50 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

So I've been here for a while and decided it was time to make a list of my favorite movies. I have been putting it off for quite some time because I didn't feel I had seen enough good movies, but now I realize that I will never have seen enough good movies.

I'm not super happy with the list, as many of the movies on it I have only seen once, so I won't have that much to say about them. But I figured I might as well just post it anyway. So without further ado

50. The Wrestler (2008)

"You hear them? This is where I belong." -Randy 'The Ram' Robinson

Darren Aronofsky is among my favorite living directors. I love his films for two reasons. For one, I love how he structures his films. The pacing flows flawlessly, as the films start slow, and continuously build and build right up to the very last moment. Secondly, I love the emotional connections he creates with the characters. As it says in the film, 'the Ram' is truly an old, broken-down character. Immediately, you want to see him succeed. My feelings about him can best be compared to how a parent feels about their child. We constantly see the Ram make mistakes, mess things up, and choose poor decisions. But in the end, it doesn't change the way we feel about him one bit. I love the scenes where he interacts with his daughter. The Ram is far from a good dad. He tries. He has good intentions. He wants to be a good father. But he never will be. He's a wrestler. And he knows that's where he belongs. I keep struggling to decide whether it's a pessimistic or optimistic film. I think the theme of the movie is accepting defeat. You can't change who you are, and no matter how much you try, there are some things in this world that are out of your reach.
Loved The Wrestler...that movie broke my heart.

True Romance was awesome...probably Christian Slater's finest hour and the Dennis Hopper/Christopher Walken scene is worth the price of admission alone. Brad Pitt was great too.

5. Breaking the Waves (1996)

“God gives everyone a special gift. I've always been stupid. But I’m good at this.”

An emotional roller coaster of a film that serves as an allegory, a love story, and a character study all at once. I've seen the film three times, and each time, I've needed about an hour of alone time to recuperate. For me, it's von Trier's masterpiece.

From your top 10 so far: i love Apocalypse Now and TGTBATU, really like Pulp Fiction and 2001 but not as much as most, and i've yet to watch Fanny and Alexander or Breaking the Waves yet. I do really love some films from both directors though so i'm looking foward to both.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I agree with everything you said about Breaking the Waves. I think it's an astonishing film, and it takes time to recover from it every time. I definitely think it is his masterpiece, although Dancer in the Dark comes a close second.

4. Eyes Wide Shut (1999)

"Life goes on. It always does, until it doesn't."

An amazingly mysterious film. Every time I watch it, I am just enthralled and glued to the screen. And each time, I develop a new interpretation of the story.

3. Kill Bill (2003/2004)

"When you grow up, if you still feel raw about it, I'll be waiting."

Kill Bill is, for me, Quentin Tarantino's magnum opus. I've always been a fan of the old Shaw Brothers martial arts films, and Kill Bill is essentially the modern pinnacle of them. I find it to be Tarantino's most originally quirky film - the masterwork of an auteur. I've seen it more times than any other movie, and it never gets old.

2. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)

"You fooled 'em, Chief! You fooled 'em. You fooled 'em all"

Lovely.