Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

For those who have seen "The Revenant" - how was the dialogue? If I had to guess, I would think it doesn't have much. I never watch a movie for cinematography. I'm guessing a few of you have this seen this movie probably know if I'd like it, and if you think so, let me know, I might think about it.
You're right it doesn't have a ton, but there is a good bit of it and it's done well. A bit of it is in an Indian language and a little in French.

If there's one film that you should watch for the cinematography, it's this one.

I have to return some videotapes.
If there's one film that you should watch for the cinematography, it's this one.
This ^. I'd be fine saying that it had some of the best cinematography that i've ever seen. I thought Lubezki was pretty good in Gravity (haven't seen many of his other movies), but he blew me away in this.

This ^. I'd be fine saying that it had some of the best cinematography that i've ever seen. I thought Lubezki was pretty good in Gravity (haven't seen many of his other movies), but he blew me away in this.
Man, Gravity was too much CG to really show what Chivo can do with a camera.

His work with Malick, in particular Tree of Life, and his earlier work with Cuarón on Children of Men, now THAT'S Lubezki on his A game and in all his glory! there's a reason he's my fav DP

Kagemusha (1980)

The orchestration of battle on such a scale with such a tasteful palette almost makes you forget people are dying in a goofy Prince and The Pauper melodrama. Human suffering is largely ignored until there is an emotional climax that needs to be reached. It's closer to synchronized swimming than warfare, no matter how impeccably composed the shots are. The layers of the frame often compliment each other so well with contrasting movement, color, etc. It's a shame such brilliance should feel so out of place.

http://boxd.it/86DP7

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

Lesbian Rape: Sweet Honey Juice -

A glorious movie. The 'gifs' above were made by me from some screencaps I took, hence the lack of fluency. I made some more GIFs, but they're too kinky to post here.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

13 Assassins (Japan)
while the story line is a well worn one it is still VERY well done in every way. Excellent movie.

Only Lovers Left Alive
+ Jim Jarmusch brings depth and intellect to the recent shallow vampire genre.
Using both Tangiers and Detroit for parts of the story brought some incredible contrasts and similarities. Wanted more as the black screen came up.

Mississippi Grind
++ and a
for the blues soundtrack. A road trip film of two gamblers that beautifully delves into the loneliness of the soul without wallowing in remorse.

Care for some gopher?
Rashomon (Akira Kurosawa, 1950) -

Alive (Ryuhei Kitamura, 2002) -

Frozen (Chris Buck/Jennifer Lee, 2013) -

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
The Exorcist (William Friedkin, 1973)

Felt pretty underwhelmed with this. There were some good scenes and when it seemed that it was gaining momentum, it lost atmosphere and tension, which was kind of frustrating.
Now, I understand what this must have been in 1973. It's surely something very different from what was done back then, and the fact that it tries to focus on the story to be scary and not on cheap frights it's something I liked. But it could have been better made, in my opinion.

The Exorcist (William Friedkin, 1973)

Felt pretty underwhelmed with this. There were some good scenes and when it seemed that it was gaining momentum, it lost atmosphere and tension, which was kind of frustrating.
Now, I understand what this must have been in 1973. It's surely something very different from what was done back then, and the fact that it tries to focus on the story to be scary and not on cheap frights it's something I liked. But it could have been better made, in my opinion.

Ah.. so saddened by your rating there .

When did it lose momentum specifically? Just curious, and i must say i despise the it must've been good in 1973 comment!!! It is good now, if you don't like it then you don't like it doesn't mean the rest of us are living in 1973 by liking it. man....

One of the most common veiled insult comments i always see on this site.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Ah.. so saddened by your rating there .

When did it lose momentum specifically? Just curious, and i must say i despise the it must've been good in 1973 comment!!! It is good now, if you don't like it then you don't like it doesn't mean the rest of us are living in 1973 by liking it. man....

One of the most common veiled insult comments i always see on this site.
Yeah, I think I expressed myself in a wrong way. I meant it must have had a different impact then than now because it was so imitated since 1973 that most of things became common.

There were some scenes where I really loved the atmosphere, the arriving of the priest in the fog is a brilliant scene, but I missed more of that heavy atmosphere. Maybe it wasn't the point but I was expecting that.