Warner Archives DVD-Rs

Tools    

Rented six more today: Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze, Darby's Rangers, Along the Great Divide, Angel Baby and The Sergeant). At $2.50 each, I've now spent $30 to see twelve of them...which would only get me one and a half of these to my door if I was buying them.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Hey, Holds! You only listed five movies in the last post.

P.S. So far, I've seen all the movies you've rented, but that doesn't mean that I recall most of them very thoroughly...

Hey, Holds! You only listed five movies in the last post.

P.S. So far, I've seen all the movies you've rented, but that doesn't mean that I recall most of them very thoroughly...
Whoopsie. Also the Jim Garner mystery They Only Kill Their Masters.

I had seen them all before too, except for Doc Savage.

OK, so I guess the Warner Archives DVD-R project is a success. They are releasing more and more each month, over 500 titles now (list HERE), so I guess the $20 price tag isn't scaring off all that many people when it comes to getting their hands on favorite hard-to-find titles.

But the real measure of the program's success is that two other Studios have followed suit: MGM and Universal have launched similar print-on-demand titles, also retailing at $20 each.

Some of the "Universal Vault" titles in this first wave include Resurrection (1980), The List of Adrian Messenger (1963), The Chalk Garden (1964), Stick (1985), Death Takes a Holiday (1934), Tell Them Willie Boy is Here (1969), Kitten with a Whip (1964) and Gambit (1966), among a dozen or so others.

MGM is getting in a little more slowly with I believe the only titles so far being The Group (1966), Two for the Seesaw (1962), Trapeze (1956), Return to Paradise (1953), Between the Lines (1977), Rich in Love (1993), Far North (1988) and Dreamchild (1985).

I've rented multiples of both the Universal and MGM DVD-Rs and I gotta say, as bare-bones as I thought the Warner Archives were these don't even have menus much less a trailer, just the movie which begins as soon as the disc starts reading.

I am still of two minds with this trend. On the one hand, I'm very excited to have access to DVD-quality, 16x9-enhanced, official transfers for lots of these titles. On the other hand, doesn't the success of this format thus far suggest that, in fact, there was MUCH MORE of a market for many of these older and what was assumed to be "obscure" stuff than the Studios had imagined? Instead of flooding the marketplace with these, take the new data you've gotten and reassess which of the back catalog are truly worthy of "real" releases or inclusion in boxed sets and what have you.

But I guess this is the future? I still say if these things were priced at say $7.99 or $9.99 each they would have an exponential explosion in interest. $20 is just ridiculous, especially for the menu-less MGM and Universal discs. I wonder if FOX will join the fray?

Well, it may just be the immediate future. Online streaming is the most likely "wave of the future" that may or may not completely remove the necessity to even have a DVD library 10 years from now. I mean, you can practically do that now with a Netflix account. Their library of movies that you can stream online continues to grow almost daily. But if its making these studios money then more power to them I guess.

There's a couple of very simple programs you can use if'n you'd like to make copies of these DVD-R's. PM me sometime if you're interested. It very easy to do if you have a DVD burner inside your computer and perfectly legal as long as you're not out on the corner trying to peddle the copies to Joe the Plumber.

I like the idea, but I have no idea what any of these movies are.

There are way too many films in this world. I wonder if other worlds have lots of movies, too. Would be a frightening, movie obsessed universe.

Warner Brothers has made an odd and possibly revolutionary decision to release a whole bunch of their remaining catalog of titles not onto remastered DVDs but DVRs officially licensed by Warners......

Anybody else checked out one of the Warner Archive DVRs yet?
Here's a Warner DVR.

And now Columbia/Sony has gotten into the print-on-demand DVD-R racket, click HERE for their list of titles. There's, too, retail for $20. Got my hands on a few from the first batch of 'em, including The Pumpkin Eater, I Never Sang for My Father, Mickey One, Pickup Alley (1957), Johnny Allegro (1949) and The Take (1974)

And Mark, Netflix still hasn't started carrying any of these. I don't know if the DVD-R format is what's spooking them, since it's true that they CAN have running issues with older, cheaper DVD players. But I would think the numbers of those frustrated customers would be so small in comparison to the happy ones that they'd just go for it. Certainly Warner Brothers or any of the others can't stop them from carrying them, since they are available to buy in the marketplace. But maybe they've asked them not to and Netflix has agreed to it, for whatever reason?

Dunno.

You've seen a couple of them now, yes? Carny, An Enemy of the People, Mr. Lucky and a few others (I believe). What did you think of the quality of the transfers?

Has anybody else bought or watched one of these print-on-demand DVD-Rs yet? I'm addicted to them, myself.

I've been wanting this movie for awhile.

If it's not too pricey, I'll get it soon enough.

Edit*

Just The Way You Are (On Demand)
Download
Price: $14.95

Just The Way You Are (DVD)
Made To Order DVD
Price: $19.95

So I wonder if I buy the cheaper download, will it burn to DVD nicely. Will it work good, and look good.

So I wonder if I buy the cheaper download, will it burn to DVD nicely. Will it work good, and look good.
That depends. Got a link or more info?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I was very excited to see this being released. For many, many years (pre-internet, of course), I thought I imagined these specials because I was the only person I knew who remembered them.

Legends of the Super Heroes (1979)

"Live forever or die trying"
VHS wouldn't diminish the quality I don't think it just comes in a bluky, ugly looking back box with 2 white wheels lol.