Best Alfred Hitchcock Film

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Out of curousity what worked and didn't work for you. did you find it rather unbelievable story wise, did you not fully connect to the characters. i'm very interested. What worked the imagry, the colors, the camera movement, the mood, the story.
I connected to the characters fairly well if I remember correctly. I think I just had a hard time in believing the story overall. In a way I was also kind of disappointed with the ending. I do think that with another rewatch I would like this movie though. 7.5 for me now but hopefully with a rewatch it can go up.

I think in the end Hitch ultimately went with suspense over character though he tried his best to fufill both by bring the stewarts character full cirlce to the very place he failed to save his love the first time around which then caused him to go to the lonnie bin. The sense of over wehlming emotions, frantic movements, dark shadows and the swell in the music all make for an audacious ending. hopefully you'll like it more the second time around yet don't push too hard if you like it the same give it a chance to Marinate within the mind.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The ending disappointed me the first time too, but now it makes total sense and is the only way it could end for the film to actually have been made in the personal way which Hitch intended. You do understand why the fall happens at the end, don't you?

The ending disappointed me the first time too, but now it makes total sense and is the only way it could end for the film to actually have been made in the personal way which Hitch intended. You do understand why the fall happens at the end, don't you?
The ending dissapointed me the first 3 times around. I'm a little stubborn though your absolutely right it could only end this way it had to end this way.

Yeah, the movie got a very bad ending. But I think that's the best way to end it though

Vertigo has always been my favorite of Hitchcock's. There is something unnerving about it; perhaps it's the circular (spiral?) nature or the obsessive behavior of Stewart's character. Hitchcock definitely constructed a maddening film. I remember watching it again for class, then being reminded of the film after seeing Shutter Island.

Chris Marker's explanation has always been the most interesting. He explains it in the film Sans soleil, which goes roughly like (please forgive me for butchering the quote) ,".....he's standing on the vertigo of time...." That's always been an intriguing explanation because it seemed fitting for the film's conception of Stewart facing his past,present, and future.

At least, that was how I interpreted it.

Stage Fright (1950)
Rear Window (1954)
Mr. & Mrs. Smith (1941)
Secret Agent (1936)

I can remind these 4 for now.

I don't think Rear Window was his best movie...but it's my favorite of his..there's just something about it that really appeals to me.

Rear Window
The Boids
Psycho
Rope
Vertigo
North by Northwest
Spellbound

That's all I've seen by him and how I'd rank them from best to worst. Vertigo is the one I remember the least of and will probably re-watch the soonest (I only saw it once, almost 15 years ago).

Some day I might also re-watch N-N/W, as it is one of the seemingly most-popular (at least with my mofos) films that seems to me very mediocre-average (unintentionally-goofy, dated, unsuspenseful). Like I say, I'll probably give it another shot eventually, after I've seen more of his filmography.

Rear Window is amazing. The Birds is weirdly creepy.

Psycho

To Catch a Thief with Carey Grant, Grace Kelly, and the French Riviera.

Only seen Rebecca but I do love it

I just bought Alfred Hitchcok - The Masterpiece Collection dvd set last night.

I only had seen Psycho and The Birds. I am going to watch tonight....which one I should watch first?

The Trouble With Harry
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Vertigo
Saboteur
Marnie
Torn Curtain
Topaz
Frenzy
Family Plot
Shadow of A Doubt
Rope
Rear Window

Which those movie I should watch first for tonight?

I just bought Alfred Hitchcok - The Masterpiece Collection dvd set last night.

I only had seen Psycho and The Birds. I am going to watch tonight....which one I should watch first?

The Trouble With Harry
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Vertigo
Saboteur
Marnie
Torn Curtain
Topaz
Frenzy
Family Plot
Shadow of A Doubt
Rope
Rear Window

Which those movie I should watch first for tonight?
Vertigo IMO

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Rear Window is my favorite Hitchcock and a lot of others favorite.

A lot of people like Vertigo as Fiscal said.

The problem I have with the box set is that it doesn't include some of his greatest masterpieces, like North by Northwest, Psycho, Dial M for Murder, Notorious, and Rebecca. That's why I'm just buying the ones I like of his individually when I can find them at a reasonable price.

I had to buy individualy as well. I might pick up the box set if I can find it used on amazon for cheap enough. I picked up the Kubrick set for about 30 bucks used from there.

I am going to watch tonight....which one I should watch first?

Frenzy
Shadow of A Doubt
Rope
Rear Window
I'd go with any of those four. Though Vertigo is often regarded as Hitchcock's best.

Based on all the MoFo'ers' votes so far in this thread, this is the semi-official MoFo Hitchcock films ranking:

1) Psycho (15)
2) Vertigo (14)
3) Rear Window (13)
4) North By Northwest (9)
5) The Birds (5)
6) Dial M For Murder, Strangers on a Train, Rebecca, Rope (3)
7) Notorious, To Catch A Thief, Frenzy, Marnie (1)

I think his best is Psycho, followed closely by Rear Window.