The Videogames Tab

Tools    

In the Beginning...
The thing about Renegade is that, looking back, I can't see how the game's end would have changed dramatically. Then again, KOTOR was pretty much the same until the very end, and then everything went wacky. So maybe it's worth doing.

Yeah, I know you're playing as a biotic, but I'm sure Lisa has figured out the awesomeness that is Wrex. For my money, as a soldier, there's no reason to take anyone besides Wrex and Liara.

And that might still be true, regardless.

A system of cells interlinked
I play as an infiltrator, so Wrex is a must! I have no biotic powers at all. Tech/Combat for me. I tend to have the best luck with Wrex and Kaiden. I tend to snipe and surgical strike with the pistol while tearing mobs up with tech attacks. Wrex and Kai do a bit of each thing so they work well together.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Peggle is on PSN Tacitus. It's so addictive I played it all the way through high school. In retrospect, that probably wasn't a good idea.
Heh, I'm downloading Ostagar now along with the new table for Zen Pinball in order to bring the purchase over £5, which is the minimum credit you can buy on PSN.

I think PSN is far better than Xbox Live now for fun little games. I've also got a much bigger hard drive on the PS3 which lends itself to hoovering up all the cheapies.

In the Beginning...
I play as an infiltrator, so Wrex is a must! I have no biotic powers at all. Tech/Combat for me.
Ah, well, you're probably in the best setup then. You don't need Tali to open doors and crates, and you've got strong biotics to be your bookends. I never used Kaidan much because Wrex and Liara have Throw and Warp, and Liara has Lift. Together, they're incredible.

Mass Effect 2 has a larger body of party members, and all are significantly more varied this time. I hardly ever found myself taking the same two people twice.

You want to post like me?
I had an Xbox for a couple of years and I was never on Xbox live. The PS3 had a built in wireless connection thingy, so it was no trouble at all. With the Xbox I would've had to drag cables from upstairs and whatnot. You really enjoy your console more when it's hooked up to the internet. I didn't really use my Xbox back then, but I use my PS3 every day now.

Using wireless for gaming? That's a no-no, as you will experience up to 10% packet loss on wireless networks.

That said - I don't have an upstairs, and wiring just isn't an issue for most people. Since your console has to be plugged in, it just isn't wireless, and never will be. Since you are locked down at one location by the ac adapter, the ethernet cable is sort of a moot point. My point is, you are only adding possible technical problems to your gaming experience using wireless ethernet with a system that has to be wired into the wall anyway. I have multiple friends that have tried playing various team online games like WOW with wireless, only to get kicked from the game multiple times when lots of players become involved in the battles, resulting in disconnects and severe lag.

Obviously wireless input devices don't affect game play, but messing with wireless connections for online play is a quick way to get owned.

You ready? You look ready.
Using wireless for gaming? That's a no-no, as you will experience up to 10% packet loss on wireless networks.

That said - I don't have an upstairs, and wiring just isn't an issue for most people. Since your console has to be plugged in, it just isn't wireless, and never will be. Since you are locked down at one location by the ac adapter, the ethernet cable is sort of a moot point. My point is, you are only adding possible technical problems to your gaming experience using wireless ethernet with a system that has to be wired into the wall anyway. I have multiple friends that have tried playing various team online games like WOW with wireless, only to get kicked from the game multiple times when lots of players become involved in the battles, resulting in disconnects and severe lag.

Obviously wireless input devices don't affect game play, but messing with wireless connections for online play is a quick way to get owned.
Actually, it's not that big of a problem anymore, so long as there aren't any conflicting wireless signals flying around your home...or microwaves.

The cable is always better, though. No argument.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I stuck with Ashley most of the time in ME1... Wrex was OK, but as a character he bored me.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

You want to post like me?
I wrote this to Tacitus in a PM already, but if any of you are playing the Return to Ostagar DLC, there's a two handed maul that grants 100 stamina. It's located on a weapon stand in the tower, in the room just before you enter the tunnel.

I don't play videogames that often anymore but I'm always up for a game of sega gensis NHL 94

Welcome to the human race...
Metal Slug Anthology ~ Wii

That's right, while the rest of you guys are off playing modern RPGs and online FPSs and combinations of the two - I'm reverting back to playing old-school run-and-gun arcade games. It helps, of course, that Metal Slug has some serious sentimental value for me, yet the game's still gloriously simplistic fun, plus the unlimited credits finally make it the fun experience I always knew it to be.

I stuck with Ashley most of the time in ME1... Wrex was OK, but as a character he bored me.
Yeah, can't do it. My Renegade is a chick, and when she talks to Ashley, they get all catty cause I chose the mean answers all the time. Also, Ashly has no tech or biotics or the uber-solid Krogan Battlemaster talent.

I picked up Liana last night and switched her in instead of Kaidan for the next mission. The party seemed to gel really well with skill synergy, so I think I will use this comp for a while.

I did a small side mission last night during which I had to run around looking for a data disc that some monkey had stolen. Pretty funny.

In the Beginning...
I picked up Liana last night and switched her in instead of Kaidan for the next mission. The party seemed to gel really well with skill synergy, so I think I will use this comp for a while.
Yeah, they're great. Although it kinda sucks that you weren't able to have Liara during the Benezia mission. I got Liara first because I knew that I'd get a better experience pitting mother and daughter against each other. Definitely pretty cool.

I did a small side mission last night during which I had to run around looking for a data disc that some monkey had stolen. Pretty funny.
Lol, yeah. I remember that one.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Just borrowed Mortal Kombat VS DC Universe.

I hear it's rather mediocre.

Suspect's Reviews

FF13's pretty awesome so far, if not extremely (and I mean extremely) linear. Two ridiculous bosses down so far.

Also, first episode of Pure Pwnage tv series was pretty good.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'm slowly falling in love with FFXIII (chapter 8 now) in spite of its faults, and linearity isn't one of them. In these days of sandbox this and free roaming that it's a refreshing change, quite frankly.

A few of the characters, like every FF game it seems, are getting completely on my wick. Surprisingly, Yanille isn't the worst...

FFXIII is just so sumptiously, beautifully epic and melodramatic (with frankly the best combat in a JRPG I think I've ever seen) that I'm willing to sit listening to whining, surly spiky-haired teenagers talking flagrant bollocks while running up narrow corridors from save point to cut scene to save point to boss.

It's either true love or massive relief that FFXIII isn't sh*t.

I sprained my ankle last week and for 2 days had nothing to do but lay on the sofa and recover so I started playing first Wolfenstein really cool game quite easy though but still cool then it happened Modern Warefare 2 online I am so addicted that the only thing I think of now is playing. Sh*t I am sick

I'm slowly falling in love with FFXIII (chapter 8 now) in spite of its faults, and linearity isn't one of them. In these days of sandbox this and free roaming that it's a refreshing change, quite frankly.

A few of the characters, like every FF game it seems, are getting completely on my wick. Surprisingly, Yanille isn't the worst...

FFXIII is just so sumptiously, beautifully epic and melodramatic (with frankly the best combat in a JRPG I think I've ever seen) that I'm willing to sit listening to whining, surly spiky-haired teenagers talking flagrant bollocks while running up narrow corridors from save point to cut scene to save point to boss.

It's either true love or massive relief that FFXIII isn't sh*t.
Yeah, I must say, for the first hour or so, I just was NOT feeling this game, at all. The camera seemed wonky and the combat was a complete and utter yawn-fest. Alas, the story and characters seemed interesting enough to keep playing, and the presentation was aces, so i trudged on.

Paradigm Shifts - Whoever came up with this battle system is my hero. What exciting fun the battles have become as the system has opened up. I furiously shift from mode to mode while playing and the fights are quite slick overall. I have a feeling some challenging fights are ahead. Also, one or two mistakes in shifting and it's lights out for my skinny mini party leader. I like that they aped the concept of leader death meaning game over from the Megaten games, as I always thought that added another level of danger and has gotten me away from making careless moves with some characters whose HP levels didn't matter as much as long as I had a healer with a res spell waiting in back. Awesome combat system!

(Unfortunately, I think my girlfriend does NOT like the combat system, which is a bummer, as she was looking forward to this game. Just seems like it is a bit too hectic for her tastes.)

RE: Vanille - I am just about 6 hours in and so far, this chick just hasn't been annoying me. Here cheery disposition plays a nice counterpoint to the brooding and whining of the some of the other characters. Her weapon is mad cool, too.

Ah, the melodrama. It's a bang up job this time round, and I feel like I may end up liking this crew more than the intrepid adventurers of FF 12.

It;s odd jumping back and forth from Final Fantasy to Mass Effect, and I am enamored with both games at the moment, splitting time between them pretty evenly.

Speaking of which...

WARNING: "Mass Effect" spoilers below
I had to kill Wrex!!!! Nooooooooooooooooooo! There just wasn't a way to get around this pissed off lobster person and his tantrum concerning the genophage. I did actually roll back to a save to try the paragon choices after renegade choices kept ending with me shooting Wrex in the face. Alas, when I was nice about it, Ashley just ended up shooting him in the back. Add the fact that I lost Kai on the same mission, and my party is down to 4 people, permanently. With Wrex down, I just HAD to save Ashley, as my core tanking set-up had just evaporated. I needed the soldier moving forward without the Krogan.

I must say, after getting off that planet I was kind of bummed out! Pretty heavy hitting game, story-wise.

In the Beginning...
WARNING: "Mass Effect" spoilers below
I had to kill Wrex!!!! Nooooooooooooooooooo! There just wasn't a way to get around this pissed off lobster person and his tantrum concerning the genophage. I did actually roll back to a save to try the paragon choices after renegade choices kept ending with me shooting Wrex in the face. Alas, when I was nice about it, Ashley just ended up shooting him in the back. Add the fact that I lost Kai on the same mission, and my party is down to 4 people, permanently. With Wrex down, I just HAD to save Ashley, as my core tanking set-up had just evaporated. I needed the soldier moving forward without the Krogan.

I must say, after getting off that planet I was kind of bummed out! Pretty heavy hitting game, story-wise.
Yeah, I knew that was going to happen. It's the biggest downside to playing Renegade, which is probably an incentive to play through as Paragon before you head into ME2. I can see lots of problems looming in your future as a result of this.

EDIT: Actually, you might have avoided this had you invested heavily in the influence skills (Charm for Paragon, Intimidate for Renegade). But even then, perhaps only Charm dialogue options will work.

I tell you what you can do, though. After you finish the game, replay it using the same character. You'll start with all the same points, which you can now re-allocate as you see fit. So fill up Charm (and whatever else), and then play as Renegade as per usual. When you get to that point, you should be able to use all the Charm options. You'll get Paragon points, most likely, but methinks you won't care that much.