Top 5 Disney Movies College Poll

Tools    

Over the past year I couldn't help but to notice the obsession of Disney movies college students have. As a college student myself, I was quite surprised to see that a majority of my friends really, really like to watch their favorite films from their childhood (not to mention sing along which absolutely drives me nuts, is it really necessary!). Too my surprise again, it wasn't just the girls in my dorm.. there are guys to that do like those good ole Disney movies! So I had an idea, why not take a poll of their favorite cartoon animated Disney movies! It was a nice break from just posting about all the main movie news floating around the net.

Pocahontas
- Yes, believe it or not this was not only on the girls poll list but the guys too! Pocahontas has a nationwide release on November 24th, 1995 and pulled in $347,179,773 at the box office. The film has a whooping $55 million budget! Doesn't that seem like a really high budget for a cartoon animated movie, maybe not I might just be too old. This is the first Disney film to portrait a historical figure, and be based on real historical fact and folklore and legend of the Native American woman Pocahontas. The film some well known stars including Mel Gibson (Captain John Smith), Christian Bale (Thomas), and Linda Hunt (Grandmother Willow).

Beauty and the Beast -
Beauty and the Beast was released nationwide on November 21st, 1991 and raked in $377,350,553 at the box office. The movie had a $25 million budget with music by Alan Menken and Howard Ashman. Beauty and the Beast is the thirteenth animated film in the Walt Disney Animated Classics Collection. The film centers around a beautiful young woman named Belle who was scooped away and forced to live in a castle with a beast. The beast then must win over Belle's heart before the last peddle on the rose falls, or he will be stuck a beast forever.

The Little Mermaid
- The Little Mermaid was based off of a fairy tale with the same name by Hans Christian Andersen. It was adapted into a movie 1989 and was released to theaters on November 17th, 1989. The film had a budget of $40 million and pulled in $183,355,863 worldwide, with only $84,355,863 domestic (ticket prices cost far less back then). The movie was based around Ariel, a sixteen-year-old mermaid princess, who has an obsession with humans. Her father King Triton, despises humans and bans her from anything human. Which then leads to her disobeying her father with her fish friend Flounder. She eventually meets the love of her life, so she gives up her voice to evil witch Ursula.

The Lion King
- The Lion King is the 32nd film in the Walt Disney Animated Classics Collection. It was released to theaters on June 15th, 1994. The movie had a $45 million budget and grossed $783,841,776 in gross revenue which makes it the 2nd highest grossing 2d animated film of all time in the United States. The Lion King pulled in two Academy Awards for its achievement in music, a Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy. The songs were written by Elton John and Tim Rice.

Aladdin
- Aladdin is the 31st film in the Walt Disney Animated Classics Collection. Aladdin was directed by John Musker and Ron Clements, and is based off on the Arab folklore of Aladdin and the Magic Lamp from One Thousand and One Nights. The movie was released November 25th, 1992 and earned $217 million in the United States and $504 million worldwide. If you have not seen Aladdin something is terribly wrong with you, haha no but seriously if you have not seen it here is the plot:
"Aladdin is a street-urchin who lives in a large and busy town long ago with his faithful monkey friend Abu. When Princess Jasmine gets tired of being forced to remain in the palace that overlooks the city, she sneaks out to the marketplace, where she accidentally meets Aladdin. Under the orders of the evil Jafar (the sultan's advisor), Aladdin is thrown in jail and becomes caught up in Jafar's plot to rule the land with the aid of a mysterious lamp. Legend has it that only a person who is a "diamond in the rough" can retrieve the lamp from the Cave of Wonders. Aladdin might fight that description, but that's not enough to marry the princess, who must (by law) marry a prince."
The film is not very star studded but the one and only Robin Williams was the voice for Genie. Jasmin's voice is by Linda Larkin who did move on to a few more movies. On a submission to the poll one of my friends, a girl, wrote for her fourth favorite movie "Jasmin is hot I'm Aladdin" haha she will probably hunt me down for that but it was funny! Scott Weinger played the voice of Aladdin and did not move on to much else besides Kingdom Hearts.

Honorable Mentions (other movies that only received one or two votes): Cinderella, The AristoCats, Toy Story 2, Nightmare before Christmas, The Great Mouse Detective, and The Fox and the Hound.

Just a fun article/poll I did at my dorm a few weeks back for my website, I get bored ok :P.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I can't help but notice that you claim that college students don't give a flying crap about any Disney flicks which are "old", except for Cinderella and the godawful The Aristocats. My daughter goes to USC and she would force other students to watch Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Fantasia, Bambi, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, etc., as well as any of the recent Disney classics.

I don't think I claim anywhere in this post that college students dont give a crap about disney flicks which are old in my first paragraph I stated "As a college student myself, I was quite surprised to see that a majority of my friends really, really like to watch their favorite films from their childhood (not to mention sing along which absolutely drives me nuts, is it really necessary!). Too my surprise again, it wasn't just the girls in my dorm.. there are guys to that do like those good ole Disney movies!" So stating that, the purpose of this post was to find what students at my school thought to be the best movies..

Are the students at your school members of this site? If so, welcome everybody! Did you create the graphics in your first post? Are you a friend of WBadger?
I cropped, edited, and what not in photoshop so yes in a way I made them. No I don't know WBadger well at least I dont think I do lol.

My favourites: Snow White. Peter Pan. Pinocchio. 101 Dalmatians. Treasure Planet.

Who cares about how much they made?

Pocohantes was weak to me, how did that make it into the top 5

There are those who call me...Tim.
Who cares about how much they made?
Personally I find it quite interesting.

My favourites are The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Pinocchio, The Jungle Book and Basil the Great Mouse Detective.

Pocahontas on the other hand is my least favourite, dull dull dull. Colours of the Wind is a good song though.

Speaking of Pocahontas, if you want a big budget 2D animated film take a look at Tarzan; budgeted at $150 million (made around $170 million in America and over $400 million worldwide), which I believe still makes it the most expensive 2D animated film yet released (I heard somewhere that The Princess and the Frog is budgeted at around the $200 million mark, but I can't remember the source).

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=tarzan.htm

[EDIT]
I believe The Lion King is in fact the highest grossing 2D animated film in the States, as only Shrek 2 and Finding Nemo stand above it (and both are CGI). Saying that if we didn't count The Lion King's IMAX re-release in 2002 it would be in fourth place behind Shrek The Third.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/...=animation.htm

Personally I find it quite interesting.

My favourites are The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Pinocchio, The Jungle Book and Basil the Great Mouse Detective.

Pocahontas on the other hand is my least favourite, dull dull dull. Colours of the Wind is a good song though.

Speaking of Pocahontas, if you want a big budget 2D animated film take a look at Tarzan; budgeted at $150 million (made around $170 million in America and over $400 million worldwide), which I believe still makes it the most expensive 2D animated film yet released (I heard somewhere that The Princess and the Frog is budgeted at around the $200 million mark, but I can't remember the source).

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=tarzan.htm

[EDIT]
I believe The Lion King is in fact the highest grossing 2D animated film in the States, as only Shrek 2 and Finding Nemo stand above it (and both are CGI). Saying that if we didn't count The Lion King's IMAX re-release in 2002 it would be in fourth place behind Shrek The Third.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/...=animation.htm
very interesting, yes I find how much money movies make very interesting so it was a personal choice to add it to my article. I also know a lot of my friends like to know that also. Pocahontas made it because a majority of the girls ranked it on there poll.

The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and Pocahontas!

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I can't help but notice that you claim that college students don't give a flying crap about any Disney flicks which are "old", except for Cinderella and the godawful The Aristocats. My daughter goes to USC and she would force other students to watch Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Fantasia, Bambi, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, etc., as well as any of the recent Disney classics.
I agree with you about the Aristocats. It is very awful. And I love cats. Notice these top five movies were released in theater during the lifetime of college students today.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

I do like the five movies stated in the poll. They were all made in my lifetime . Although these would not be in my top five. My brother (Harry Lime) is always introducing the classic disney to my children. I really enjoy these movies a lot more. Its just sad to see there not even mentioned. Dumbo is spectacular, Peter Pan plays religiously in my house.I like to knowq what movies have grossed because its interesting but this list just seems like the top five grossing Disney films.

Lion King thrust Disney back into the limelight: too bad the lime went lemon. Trust me, Disney is not over by a long shot but will it ever be simple again?