Scientology in Hollywood Movie Industry?

Tools    

IMO I don't think we should sit back and criticise a belief set.If you truly believe that it's a cult that is harming and swindling people, then surely you should take action to bring it down like you would any truly misguided and/or evil organisation. Otherwise I think we should treat it like any theological movement whose beliefs we disagree with.

Not to say we can't make fun of it, but I just think it'd be the same as insulting Christianity,Judaism or the way of the Force.

After Death
Rebirths continue until one consciously confronts all pre-birth, current-life, and previous-life traumas and realizes one's true nature as a "thetan," immortal spirit--transcending matter, energy, space, and time. Achieving this state enables the spirit to escape the cycle of birth and death--to operate independently of the physical universe and become one with God.

The magical cults of the 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th centuries in the Middle East were fascinating. The only modern work that has anything to do with them is a trifle wild in spots, but is a fascinating work in itself, and that's the work of Aleister Crowley - the late Aleister Crowley - my very good friend. ~ L. Ron Hubbard

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Aleister Crowley! just reading that makes me laugh. Do you remember Tac, although you're younger than me so mebbe not, Aleister Crowley was the bete noir of The News of the World. They bloody loved him and his shenanigans. My dad always got tNotW and I always read it when I was a kid when he'd gone out for his Sunday pint. The likes of Crowley and certain vicars and cabinet ministers formed a lurid introduction to sex and the British upper class

The People's Republic of Clogher
Aleister Crowley! just reading that makes me laugh. Do you remember Tac, although you're younger than me so mebbe not, Aleister Crowley was the bete noir of The News of the World. They bloody loved him and his shenanigans. My dad always got tNotW and I always read it when I was a kid when he'd gone out for his Sunday pint. The likes of Crowley and certain vicars and cabinet ministers formed a lurid introduction to sex and the British upper class
Renowned party animal Aleister Crowley?

If the old goat were alive today he'd probably be in the News Of The Screws grappling in some nightclub with a 'Page 3 stunna' (who sold her story, natch) and inviting her back to his flat for a bit of light reading and the odd sacrifice.

I can remember stumbling across a Crowley fansite a few years ago (Google is a terrible thing if your mind is inclined to wander) which featured a hilarious message board section. One can probably imagine the kind of stuff going on in there.

Yep. Tom Cruise is an advocate of Scientology.

Okay... is it just me or does anyone else see it ...

EDIT:BTW... I am not trying to say Scientology follows the practices of Crowley... I just think it is interesting that Crowley and Hubbard were apparently friends... and that the cross is so similar...

lol Caity researching the ways of the Crowley..interesting comparison tho, but don't go any further the ways of The Beast are dark and treacherous

lol Caity researching the ways of the Crowley..interesting comparison tho, but don't go any further the ways of The Beast are dark and treacherous
Ah, but you see… it wouldn't be the first time I have wandered down dark paths in search of a beast…

I've never heard that before from hollywood...

good stuff tacitus! awesom 30 minutes

I just hope i dont get scooped up by scientology. I hope im strong enough.

I just hope i dont get scooped up by scientology. I hope im strong enough.
I really don't think they'll be camped outside your door.

I get the occasional Religious caller (living in the shadow of a massive church and across the road from a convent, it's to be expected I guess, but they aren't the callers I get) but they're usually delightful old dears with sweet smiles.

Sweet smiles until I wave my stick at them, that is.

I watched a documentary about celebrities who were members of Scientology, and I was amazed at how many there were!

My life isn't written very well.
I see it Cait', But why in the world would Scientolgy have such a Christian symbol? Guess I don't know enough about 'em.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

I can remember a little poem hidden in the sleeve notes of Julian Cope's Jehovahkill album. It went something like this:

Jesus Christ is not The Cross
The Cross is a representation
Of a man standing
Arms outstretched
Accepting the Salvation

It's a great record but I bet there aren't many copies in the Cruise household...

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Well, the cross was a symbol of the sun and its rays long before Christ. You can also see the starbursts in the Scientology cross' diagonals, so it's gotta represent the stars or their concept of "heaven".

I don't want to get into the idea that the crucifixion was on a stake and not a cross right now because I don't think it's on topic or even too significant for many.