10 Films That Were Better than the Books

Tools    

This is in response to another thread here. My Top 10 moives that will make you rip up your library card:

Fight Club
Chuck Palahniuk’s overrated novel simply lacks the punch of the film. Palahniuk writes in a visual style, which can’t compete against the real thing. This story has found its home on film. While the novel wants to be “underground” it feels too slick for the distinction, yet somehow the movie (with the likes of Brad Pitt) manages to pull of the anarchist look and feel more successfully.

The Last of the Mohicans
James Fenimore Cooper’s famous and overwrought novel is one of the worst written books with a “classics” distinction ever penned in American literature (It was notoriously panned by none other than Mark Twain). Yet in the hands of director Michael Mann, Cooper’s novel comes to vivid life. The film is visually stunning, packed with action, and dripping with cinematic chemistry between Daniel Day-Lewis and Madeleine Stowe. One of the best action romances of the last two decades.

About a Boy
Nick Hornby is a writer that I want to like – but can’t. His novels are chick-lit written for sensitive guys. The characters never quite get off the ground. It’s the same with “About a Boy,” which falls horribly flat. So imagine my surprise at how well the novel translated into a movie. Damn, if the film isn’t hilarious. Hugh Grant was born to play a middle-aged adolescence and was rightly nominated for an Academy Award for his performance. A fine soundtrack from Badly Drawn Boy is also a plus.

Lord of the Rings
A sacrilege, no doubt. Tolkien fans will probably want to egg my house, but the films just capture Middle Earth better than the books. Tolkien had difficulty with action scenes and was much more comfortable with mythology and back story. So while the books can feel dusty and antiquated, the movie captures the magic and violence of the story and makes it feel young. Director Peter Jackson has made the greatest film trilogy of all time.

The Silence of the Lambs
Thomas Harris wrote an interesting, middle-of-the-road thriller that was a great read while you were stuck in an airport. But Jonathan Demme’s movie became a phenomenon that redefined the genre and ushered in a darker era of thriller/horror movies like “Seven” and “Kiss the Girls.” It also won an Academy Award for Best Picture.

Forrest Gump
Not many people even realize that the movie was based on a Winston Groom novel of the same name. The novel garnered raves (and even comparisons with “Huckleberry Finn”) when it was first published, yet it still falls short of this quirky, likable film starring Tom Hanks. The movie went on to collect six Academy Awards, including Best Picture.

Blade Runner
This movie is based on the Philip K. Dick’s underground science fiction novel “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?” Dick had one of the most stunning imaginations in literature, but his novel isn’t as fully realized as the movie adaptation by Director Ridley Scott. The movie is dark, mysteriously and surprisingly philosophical. It’s also one of the best science fiction films of all time.

The Shawshank Redemption
Stephen King wrote a novella called “Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption” in his collection “Different Seasons.” King has always been underrated as a writer (who writes better horror stories than King?). But the story can’t live up to one of the most beloved films of all time (ranked number 2 in popularity at the Internet Movie Database).

Jaws
One-hit wonder Peter Benchley wrote a scary novel about a man-eating shark that became one of the greatest summer blockbusters of all-time. It was also the movie that put Director Steven Spielberg on the map. So damn terrifying that it continues to make millions of people afraid to swim out over their heads in the ocean – 30 years later.

Maltese Falcon
This is a close one. The novel by Dashiell Hammett is fantastic and remains a great read to this day. But the movie narrowly edges out the novel by a hair for one reason: Humphrey Bogart.

Thoughts? Additions? Disagree?

For my money these are all great adaptations. If not better than the book, at least in the same class and great adaptations in that they adhere to the same spirit and catch the essence of the source material...
  • Tess (1980 - Roman Polanski), from the novel Tess of the d'Ubervilles by Thomas Hardy
  • Far from the Madding Crowd (1967 - Jhon Schlesinger), from the novel by Thomas Hardy
  • The Age of Innocence (1993 - Martin Scorsese), from the novel by Edith Wharton
  • Dangerous Liaisons (1988 - Stephen Frears), from the novel Les Liaisons Dangereuses by Chonderlos de Lacos
  • Valmont (1989 - Milos Forman), from the novel Les Liaisons Dangereuses by Choderlos de Laclos
  • The Innocents (1961 - Jack Clayton), from the novel The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
  • Rosemary's Baby (1967 - Roman Polanski), from the novel by Ira Levin
  • The Princess Bride (1987 - Rob Reiner), from the novel by William Goldman
  • All the President's Men (1976 - Alan J. Pakula), from the book by Woodward & Bernstein
  • Three Days of the Condor (1975 - Sydney Pollack), from the novel The Six Days of the Condor by James Grady
  • The Manchurian Candidate (1962 - John Frankenheimer), from the novel by Richard Condon
  • Prizzi's Honor (1985 - John Huston), from the novel by Richard Condon
  • The Maltese Falcon (1941 - John Schlesinger), from the novel by Dashiell Hammett
  • Under the Volcano (1984 - John Huston), from the novel by Malcolm Lowry
  • The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948 - John Huston), from the novel by B. Traven
  • The Man Who Would Be King (1975 - John Huston), from the novella by Rudyard Kipling
  • Jaws (1975 - Steven Spielberg), from the novel by Peter Benchley
  • Mother Night (1996 - Keith Gordon), from the novel by Kurt Vonnegut
  • Catch-22 (1970 - Mike Nichols), from the novel by Joseph Heller
  • Birdy (1984 - Alan Parker), from the novel by William Wharton
  • A Clockwork Orange (1971 - Stanley Kubrick), from the novel by Anthony Burgess
  • A Boy & His Dog (1975 - L.Q. Jones), from the story by Harlan Ellison
  • The Witches of Eastwick (1987 - George Miller), from the novel by John Updike
  • The Commitments (1991 - Alan Parker), from the novel by Roddy Doyle
  • High Fidelity (2000 - Stephen Frears), from the novel by Nick Hornby
  • The Grifters (1990 - Stephen Frears), from the novel by Jim Thompson
  • After Dark, My Sweet (1990 - James Foley), from the novel by Jim Thompson
  • L.A. Confidential (1997 - Curtis Hanson), from the novel by James Ellroy
  • Wonder Boys (2000 - Curtis Hanson), from the novel by Michael Chabon
  • The Player (1992 - Robert Altman), from the novel by Michael Tolkin
  • Get Shorty (1995 - Barry Sonnenfeld), from the novel by Elmore Leonard
  • Out of Sight (1998 - Steven Soderbergh), from the novel by Elmore Leonard
  • Misery (1990 - Rob Reiner), from the novel by Stephen King
  • Empire of the Sun (1987 - Steven Spielberg), from the book by J.G. Ballard
  • The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (1968 - Robert Ellis Miller), from the novel by Carson McCullers
  • The Last Picture Show (1971 - Peter Bogdanovich), from the novel by Larry McMurtry
  • "Lonesome Dove" (made-for-TV 1989 - Simon Wincer), from the novel by Larry McMurtry
  • Little Big Man (1970 - Arthur Penn), from the novel by Thomas Berger
  • Missing (1982 - Costa-Gavras), from the book by Thomas Hauser
  • The Mosquito Coast (1986 - Peter Weir), from the novel by Paul Theroux
  • Zorba the Greek (1964 - Michael Cacoyannis), from the novel by Nikos Kazantzakis
  • The Last Temptation of Christ (1988 - Martin Scorsese), from the novel by Nikos Kazantzakis
  • Last Orders (2001 - Fred Schepisi), from the novel by Graham Swift
  • The Music of Chance (1993 - Philip Haas), from the novel by Paul Auster
  • GoodFellas (1990 - Martin Scorsese), from the book Wiseguy as told to Nic Pileggi
  • Serpico (1973 - Sidney Lumet), from the book by Peter Maas
  • Fletch (1985 - Michael Ritchie), from the novel by Gregory MacDonald
  • Ragtime (1981 - Milos Forman), from the novel by E.L. Doctorow
  • The Chocolate War (1988 - Keith Gordon), from the novel by Robert Cormier
  • "Barbarians ot the Gate" (made-for-TV 1993 - Glenn Jordan), from the book by Burrough & Helyar
  • BladeRunner (1982 - Ridley Scott) from the novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001 - Peter Jackson), from the novel by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas (1998 - Terry Gilliam), from the book by Hunter S. Thompson
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

As much as I respect you Pikey I hate it when you make those list, it doesn't leave much for anyone to add

My pick To Kill a Mockingbird both the book and movie are brilliant, my pick would be the movie.

Originally Posted by nebbit
As much as I respect you Pikey I hate it when you make those list, it doesn't leave much for anyone to add
It makes my list look extremely junior varsity!

Kubrick owns the hell out of this list:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (novel by Arthur C. Clarke, original inspiration, Clarke's short story "The Sentinel")

2. Dr Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (adapted from the novel Red Alert by Peter George)

3. Paths of Glory (novel by Humphrey Cobb)

4. A Clockwork Orange (novel by Anthony Burgess)

5. Lolita (novel by Vladimir Nabokov)

6. The Killing (adapted from the novel Clean Break by Lionel White)

7. The Shining (novel by Stephen King)

Every single one substantially superior to the book...

A system of cells interlinked
The Killing is such a fantastic film.... Think I need to watch it again, soon...

Good thing I have a copy

Come to think of it...I have a copy of almost all of his films, and should just watch them all...

In Heaven Everything Is Fine
Rebecca (1940) is the only one I can think of that hasn't been mentioned. At least I don't think it's been mentioned.

Well, my list may be a bit less "mature" than the list above, mostly focusing on the adaption of children's novels for film, but I love them just the same.

Anne of Green Gables
Kinda blasphemy for me. These books by Lucy Maud Montgomery defined my childhood. Anne was my confident, best friend, and role model for my formitive years. Even today, she is still one of my all time heroes. But I will admit, the CBC Sullivan mini series were fantastic. Megan Follows was the perfect Anne and the supporting cast is one of the strongest Canadian casts ever assembled (yes, I'm Canadian).

Ella Enchanted
Read the book just before the movie came out, it was cute. Adored the movie. The book treated Ella like a 12 year old (who was falling in love? creepy). But the film made her older, which I found alot easier to digest. Also, the film ending where Ella is told to kill her true love is a much better ending than the book where she is told to say no when he proposes.

Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen
The book was dull and dry compared to Lindsay Lohan's injection of personality and wit into the character. Plus the ending was much better.

Chronicles of Narnia : The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Seeing as I could not force myself to get through the book but actually enjoyed the movie, it is clear which one is better.

Stuart Little
Books were okay, but Michael J Fox was brilliant.

OTHERS

What's Eating Gilbert Grape?
I admit I chose to read this novel for my grade 11 english class so I could watch a Johnny Depp movie. lol. So, naturally Johnny's performance made it better lol. Also, the book was very much a 'guy' book and me being a gal, found it a bit unrelateable. The movie on the other hand touched me more. Also, Juliette Lewis's character in the book is like 16 (can we spell illegal?) and aging her in the film was good. Also, Leonardo DiCaprio really did a fantastic job as Arnie.

Lord of the Rings
After 12 pages in the dern woods with the elves in FotR, I had to give up.

MIXED

Jurassic Park
I love both the books and the movies. I think they compliment each other fantastically. The movies are an excellent ride and the books just elevate it. Although, I owe my understanding of DNA to Mr Crichton

This may get me killed.

For the most part -- I can't stand Kubrick.

The Fabulous Sausage Man
Funny, the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was, "I think I'll just post ten random Kubrick movies".

dear oh dear Dark Party! Bladerunner movie better than Do Androids Dream... I don't think so- they're certainly different but the book had so much more substance

The Shining I disagree with too- the book was excellent- the movie was greatly disappointing to me, maybe it wouldn't have been if I hadn't read the book (Jack was brilliant tho)

i thought Holes was better than the book movie even though it's exactly the same in many ways.