Movie Tab II

Tools    

KIDS

A good, powerful film. All great performances.

Welcome to the human race...
The Killer - 9/10

Ninja Scroll - 8/10

Brother - 6/10

Hard-Boiled - 9/10

Straight to Hell - 6/10

The Fog (original) - 7/10

Prince of Darkness - 7/10

Wings of Desire - 8/10

In The Mouth Of Madness - 7/10

I am having a nervous breakdance
Malcolm X (1992 - Spike Lee)

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

In the Beginning...
The Departed (Scorsese, 2006)

Great performances by some top-notch actors (young and old alike) working today, but the script took a few missteps toward the end that came off silly and contrived.

A system of cells interlinked
The Departed (Scorsese, 2006) Loved it. Everyone that went was chatting and excited about it afterwards. Why I like going to the movies...

In the Beginning...
Cast Away (Zemeckis, 2000)

Interesting film. I never felt like anything more than an observer, though. I wanted to connect, but never found a way into the film. It seemed like some of the more emotionally loaded situations -- the dead body, the consideration of suicide, etc. -- were glossed over. But three cheers for Tom Hanks and an unforgiving, lonely performance.

Sahara (Eisner, 2005)

I'm going to give this one a generous four out of five. I was feeling an adventure movie today, and it satisfied. I know it's about as deep as a bird bath, but it was a fun flick with some really sharp banterlogue between McConaughey and Zahn, and more than a few hairy, goofy action scenes. And yeah... Penelope Cruz.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Black Narcissus - had to watch it for film studies and i actualy really enjoyed it. Tale of repression in the himalayas with Deborah kerr.

My Summer Of Love - two teenager girls fall in love; one is a liar and the other feels trapped by her brothers new found christianity.

Sommersby - not the greatest but i quite enjoyed this story of false identity with Jodie Foster and Richard Gere

Crooklyn (1994 - Spike Lee)

It was the first time I've seen it. It's quite good, I especially like the efforts put in by the actors, both the leading adult characters but the kids as well. I can understand bell hooks' criticism of the way Lee portraits women in his films though. Sure, the female characters have central positions in the film, Alfre Woodard as the mom and Zelda Harris as Troy in particular, and are depicted as the ones who make the machinery work, but what it all comes down to in the end is that the woman's place is at home, taking care of the male family members. Instead of offering an alternative to that, probably very true, scenario Lee settles with "telling us how it is" but also seems to argue for that that's how it should be.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Crooklyn (1994 - Spike Lee)

It was the first time I've seen it. It's quite good, I especially like the efforts put in by the actors, both the leading adult characters but the kids as well. I can understand bell hooks' criticism of the way Lee portraits women in his films though. Sure, the female characters have central positions in the film, Alfre Woodard as the mom and Zelda Harris as Troy in particular, and are depicted as the ones who make the machinery work, but what it all comes down to in the end is that the woman's place is at home, taking care of the male family members. Instead of offering an alternative to that, probably very true, scenario Lee settles with "telling us how it is" but also seems to argue for that that's how it should be.
I wasn't a big fan of the weird skewing he put on the photography during some of the scenes...I liked it otherwise. I think he just sort of overused it.

Originally Posted by Sedai
I wasn't a big fan of the weird skewing he put on the photography during some of the scenes...I liked it otherwise. I think he just sort of overused it.
Oh yeah, that's right, I forgot. It was during the scenes when Troy went to live with her aunt or something? I thought for a second that it might be something wrong with my DVD player. He probably did it to symbolize how Troy had to fit into a tight frame or something like that. Kind of cool in a way, but yeah, it was a bit annoying after a while.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Oh yeah, that's right, I forgot. It was during the scenes when Troy went to live with her aunt or something? I thought for a second that it might be something wrong with my DVD player. He probably did it to symbolize how Troy had to fit into a tight frame or something like that. Kind of cool in a way, but yeah, it was a bit annoying after a while.
Yeah... I thought that maybe he was trying to express how foreign the whole environment was to her. The vast opposition of Brooklyn to..where did she go again? lol... been a while since I saw it... I should watch it again.. Just watched Clockers recently, actually...

In Heaven Everything Is Fine
Just watched Clockers recently, actually...
I was surprised at how good that movie was. Great script and I love that dolly shot of the kid riding his bike with his hand in a paper bag with the "you know what". Harvey Keitel demonstrated some mad skills with that little monologue he does at the end of the picture. Yeah, good movie. That Spike Lee Joint Collection was worth every penny.

Crooklyn was good too. I loved all those kids. Shame none of them really went anywhere after that. At least I don't think they did.

Yeah... I thought that maybe he was trying to express how foreign the whole environment was to her. The vast opposition of Brooklyn to..where did she go again? lol... been a while since I saw it... I should watch it again.. Just watched Clockers recently, actually...
I think she went to Virginia.

Originally Posted by dog.gon.gun
I was surprised at how good that movie was. Great script and I love that dolly shot of the kid riding his bike with his hand in a paper bag with the "you know what". Harvey Keitel demonstrated some mad skills with that little monologue he does at the end of the picture. Yeah, good movie. That Spike Lee Joint Collection was worth every penny.

Crooklyn was good too. I loved all those kids. Shame none of them really went anywhere after that. At least I don't think they did.
It was a while ago since I saw Clockers but I remember that I liked it a lot.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Art School Confidential - Painfully funny look at what it really is like to go to art school. I knew pretty much all of these people when I went. When I have more time, I want to write a real review of this. It's really good. Cynical and almost unlikeable, like almost everything Daniel Clowes has ever done, but also the best film about the creative impulse (and best comic book movie) since American Splendor.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde(1931)

I'm sure you all know the story but just in case you don't. There's this man named Jekyll who "plays God" and creates a potion that turns himself into a crazed man-ape who goes by the name of Mr. Hyde. I've seen bits of other cinematic renditions of the Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde story and this one is the best by far. Mainly due to Frederic March's performance as the genius scientist turned animalistic hooligan. Miriam Hopkins also plays a very interesting character named Ivy. I call her interesting because she takes off her clothes in an attempt to get Jekyll to spend a little more time with her. Even more interesting considering when this movie was made. None of the other characters are nearly as developed or fun to watch as those two. Or is it three? Whatever. The director, Robert Mamoulian, showed off some of his skills during the opening scene of the film which was shot from the first person point of view of Jekyll. This trick is used again later in the film to augment the dramatics of Jekyll's physically draining transformation to Hyde. A decent film overall, though I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

That Obscure Object of Desire
Not quite sure what to make of this movie. The same goes for all the other Luis Bunuel movies I've seen. That Obscure Object of Desire is told through a series of flashbacks as the main character reflects upon the experiences he went through while trying to win the love (and lust) of a Spanish woman named Conchita. Bunuel made a very interesting casting choice with the female lead, he chose two actresses to play the part. My guess is Bunuel was thinking, "Two different sides to Conchita. Two different actresses". He's definitely an interesting filmmaker and if you haven't seen any of his films this would be a good place to start.