Pyro's Top 100 Movies

→ in
Tools    

I'd like to thank Susepct before i start.

100. Halloween (John Carpenter, 1978)

A great slasher film that gave birth to a new genre and countless imitators

99. Deer Hunter (Michael Cimino, 1978)

I havn't seen this in an age but Walken's performance in the Russian roulette scene is mesmerising.

98. Run Lola, Run (Tom Tykwer, 1998)

A frantic and original film from Germany

97. This is Spinal Tap (Rob Reiner, 1984)

Hilarious mockumentary about an 80s rock band

96. Gozu (Takashi Miike, 2003)

Lynchian tale with a sick twist thanks to Japanese auteur Takashi Miike

95. Versus (Ryuhei Kitamura, 2000)

Kick ass and low budget Japanese treat, Evil Dead meets Kill Bill meets The Matrix

94. Dog Soldiers (Neil Marshall, 2002)

For my money, far more enjoyable than American Werewolf in London with cool action and direction

93. Lethal Weapon 2 (Richard Donner, 1989)

The best action buddy/cop movie around, only beats Lethal Weapon 1 thanks to South African racism

92. The Girl Next Door (Luke Greenfield, 2004)

Elisha Cuthbert (we're engaged btw)

91. Donnie Darko (Richard Kelly, 2001)

I saw this before it became really popular, but it's still a riveting sci-fi tale

90. Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (Tetsuya Nomura, 2004)

What it lacks in narrative, it certainly makes up for with jaw dropping action scenes

Arresting your development
Wow!

Give that woman a piano!

A system of cells interlinked
Ummmm, yuk.

89. Shaolin Master Killer (Chia-Liang Liu, 1978)

Serious martial arts film with great detailing of the strict training of a Shaolin monk

88. Witchfinder General (Michael Reeves, 1968)

Vincent Price excells as the sadistic Mathew Hopkins and the British countryside is shot beautifully

87. xXx 2 (Lee Tamahori, 2005)

Harmless and brainless action fun with Ice Cube yo-yo.

86. Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994)

I've watched this far too many times to get the same enjoyment from it that i used to, but it's still great.

85. Scarface (Brian De Palma, 1983)

One of Pacino's best roles in the rags to riches tale of Cuban drug dealer Tony Montana

84. Evil Dead (Sam Raimi, 1981)

Who'd have thought that director of the "ultimate experience in gruelling horror" would direct Spiderman? Unsurpassed low budget zombie horror classic

83. Ronin (John Frankenheimer, 1998) TIE The French Connection (William Friedkin, 1971)

Great cast, De Niro and Reno, plus an excellent car chase and great action

Popeye Doyle- coolest cop ever.

82. Ninja Scrolls (Yoshiaki Kawajiri, Kevin Seymour, 1993)

My favourite anime film ever, simply awesome.

81. Midnight Cowboy (John Schlesinger, 1969) TIE Jurassic Park (Steven Spielberg, 1993)

Great perfomances and a touching tale

One of those films that's stuck with me since childhood, great effects, made me afraid of an extinct species

80. Lone Wold and Cub: Babycart in the Land of Demons (Kenji Misumi, 1973)

More fun and violent than Kurosawa's works, this is, in my opinion, the best of the 6 Lone Wolf and Cub films.

79. Bad Taste/Braindead (Peter Jackson, 1987 & 1992)

Disgustingly excessive, violent, gory and funny movies from the director of LOTR!

78. Die Hard (John McTiernan, 1988)

One of the all-time great action flicks, keep the plot simple and the action flowing

77. Ghostbusters (Ivan Reitman, 1984)

Great casting and some nice cheesy effects

76. Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood, 1992)

Superb Western which not only has a clever outlook on violence but also deconstructs the whole Western genre

75. Jackie Brown (Quentin Tarantino, 1997)

Thought this was a far more polished and all round better film then Tarantino's previous.

74. Terminator 2 (James Cameron, 1991)

Thrilling action sci-fi with pioneering CGI effects and the uber villian played by Robert Patrick

73. Wicker Man (Robin Hardy, 1973)

Pagan horror/detective thriller with the best atmosphere created i've seen in any film

72. Open Your Eyes (Alejandro Amenabar, 1997)

Thought provoking film with a cool blend of genres.

71. Hero (Zhang Yimou, 2002)

Beautifully shot film with great performances, from Tony Leung especially

70. Heat (Michael Mann, 1995)

Cat and mouse crime thriller with De Niro and Pacino playing the same characters only different sides of the law

I like a good amount of films on your list but I would have put some lower like Halloween for instance and Pulp Fiction

69. Conan the Barbarian (John Milius, 1982)

Gets bonus points as Electric Wizard use a sound clip and for putting Arnie in ridiculous costumes

68. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Tobe Hooper, 1974) TIE The Birds (Alfred Hitchcock, 1963)

Perhaps too infamous for it's own good, the unrelenting persecution of Marilyn Burns and pacing is incredible

My first horror movie, and what a movie, chilling to the bone with no explanation for any of it

67. Happiness of the Katakuris (Takashi Miike, 2001) TIE Tremors (Ron Underwood, 1990)

Singing, dancing, zombies, comedy and some bizzare claymation- Miike delivers the film with everything

Uber cool B-movie fun with Kevin Bacon in the Desert

66. Street Fighter (Shigehiro Ozawa, 1974)

No, not Jean Claude Van Damme but Sonny Chiba in this brutally awesome martial arts flick

65. Miller’s Crossing (Joel Coen, 1990)

Fine acting, fine cinematography and fine story, a pretty damn fine film

64. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Terry Gilliam, 1998)

Terry Gilliam makes some really 'out-there' films, this one's a little more accessible but still a wild ride

63. Army of Darkness (Sam Raimi, 1993) TIE Big Trouble in Little China (John Carpenter, 1986)

Almost the antithesis of Evil Dead, cracking comedy horror with the best one liners courtesy of Campbell and effects straight from Jason and the Argonauts

Kick-ass, very cheesy and the awesome Kurt Russel as the hopeless hero, splendid!

62. Enter the Dragon (Robert Cloue, 1973)

Although American, it's about the slickest and deadliest martial arts film around, Lee's finest feature

61. Marathon Man (John Schlesinger, 1976)

Probably most remembered for that scene but i love the cast and Roy Scheider owns.

60. Rosemary’s Baby (Roman Polanski, 1968) TIE The Omen (Richard Donner, 1976) TIE The Exorcist (William Friedkin, 1973)

Keeps you guessing till the end, paranoia or conspiracy (?) with an unbearable build up of tension

Gregory Peck rocks for a old guy and it has some really cool death scenes

Less subtle and more infamous, Linda Blair excells as the young possessed girl.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I sense your a horror fan??

So am I, great list so far, and of course lists change upon every viewing of a movie, HEL mine has changed already. Can't wait to see youe next films.

Suspect's Reviews

59. Zatoichi (Takashi Kitano, 2003)

Fluent and lethal action with Kitano directing himself as the blind swordsman slicing his way to the all-singing, all-dancing finale

58. Man Bites Dog (Remy Belvaux, Andre Bonzel, 1992)

A bizzare Belgian docu-film where a crew follows a serial killer for a documentary, a real one off movie

57. Bubba Ho-tep (Don Coscarelli, 2002)

One the most intriguing premises ever, Elvis is alive in a reitrement home along with a black JFK and a soul sucking mummy. Great chracter study showing Campbell is not just Ash

56. The Wild Bunch (Sam Peckinpah, 1969)

Gory revionist Western following the titular outlaws to the death and showing the end of the 'west' and the new modern world

55. Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976)

Not to much to say other than see it, flawless film

54. Dogma (Kevin Smith, 1999)

Pop references, great ensemble cast and rather funny look at religion

53. The Spy Who Loved Me (Lewis Gilbert, 1977)

Ok, Bond has got quite silly, but this one does it best and ticks all the boxes- villians, gadgets, sets, action, girls and one liners, with style

52. Twelve Monkeys (Terry Gilliam, 1995)

Bleak yet beautifully designed and fascinating look at an apocalyptic future with Willis' career best and a great turn from Brad Pitt

51. Trainspotting (Danny Boyle, 1996)

You don't watch Trainspotting, you experience it. Excellent film chronicling the life of herion addicts

50. Memento (Christoper Nolan, 2000)

Incredibly intelligent backwards thriller about a tatooed amnesiac looking for his wife's killer, one of those must-see films, btw i think he did it.

49. Sin City (Frank Miller, Robert Rodriguez, 2005)

One of the best looking films around, although there's little empathy for characters- it's a rip roaring ride and extremely loyal graphic novel adaptation

48. True Romance (Tony Scott, 1993)

Stylish thiller writen by QT with a sweet supporting cast, especially Gary Oldman as wigger Drexl

47. Delicatessen (Marc Caro, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 1991)

Dark and charming romance in a post-apocalyptic society where human flesh sells

46. The Killer (John Woo, 1989)

Hugely violent action and influential movie from the (one-time) genre master. Also the film which started my love of Asian cinema

45. Shaun of the Dead (Edgar Wright, 2004)

Immensely enjoyable and gory British zombie spoof from the people behind TV's Spaced which shows our industry isn't just Hugh Grant/Richard Curtis rom-coms

44. Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958)

Belongs on any list if just for creating the 'vertigo' shot. Jimmy Stewart as the detective suffering from vertigo and his case with a mysterious women is, i reckon, Hitchcock's best.

43. Brotherhood of the Wolf (Christophe Gans, 2001)

Stunning French multi genre flick with epic cinematography, even Mark Dacascos does well, not too mention the ever cool Vincent Cassel.

42. High Noon (Fred Zinnemann, 1952)

Gary Cooper walks alone as the retired Sherrif waiting for noon in a real-time Western which stands as a landmark in the genre

41. From Russia With Love (Terence Young, 1963)

This is how Bond should be, oozing with espoinage and effortlessly sauve. As a straight laced spy thriller, this is the peak of the series with Connery on top form.

40. City of God (Fernando Meirelles, Katia Lund, 2002)

Disturbing and engaging look at life in Brazil's slums, drug culture and gun crime, raw direction and suprisingly good perfomances from local unprofessional actors.

39. Hana-bi (Takeshi Kitano, 1997)

Poetic imagery and character development take presidence over plot in a bleak story of an unfortunate cop

38. 2046 (Wong Kar Wai, 2004)

Visually arresting sci-fi romance, with the magnificent Tony Leung writing about the future, though it's closer to his past

37. Jaws (Steven Spielberg, 1975)

The first 'blockbuster' and a film which must have made everyone afraid of swimming in the sea- quite an achievement

36. Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa, 1954)

Epic samurai film. Superbly developed characters keep a film with a rather simple plot from ever getting boring. Don't expect graphic violence though.

35. Fight Club (David Fincher, 1999)

Again, one of those films, just needs to be seen.

34. Full Metal Jacket (Stanley Kubrick, 1987)

Haunting vision of Vietnam. Almost two films, training and war- their differences in style just emphasises the horror of the conflict. R. Lee Ermey owns as the legendary drill sergeant.

33. Amelie (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)

Excellent romantic comedy which remains quirky and touching yet never too sickly and Audrey Tautou is gorgeous!

32. Once Upon a Time in the West (Sergio Leone, 1968)

The ultimate Western. Just watch the opening and you'll see. Leone pulls out all the stops, perfectly shot, Morriconne's unforgetable score, excellent on every level.

31. American Beauty (Sam Mendes, 1999)

I've only seen this film only once, solely because i want to savour my memories from that one viewing and not loose them.

30. The Godfather 1 & 2 (Francis Ford Coppola, 1972 & 1974)

So, IMDB's #1 film at 30? No answer really. They're both fantastic films each in their own rights, and together, telling the rise of Micheal Corleone and marking Pacino's defining role. Coppola manages to entirely immerse the viewer into their seedy world of deception and death. I dare say they are the ultimate movies, but hey, this is my list.

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
I've only seen this film only once, solely because i want to savour my memories from that one viewing and not loose them.
you mean lose them??
great list , i couldn't say i've got 100 fave movies, since it'd be much to take with on a desert island... but if i considered making a list like yours, some movies would be the same ones, okay, maybe more than some. must be cuz i'm into horror and Asian movies.

history *is* moralizing
well, if it were me, Fight Club would've been under the top five ones... wait, but you're Pyro Tramp right?

29. Night of the Living Dead (George A. Romero, 1968)

The seminal horror film, shot in black and white, it has a great feel and has to be, for me, the most unbearably tense film ever, groundbreaking and horrifying.

28. Goodfellas (Martin Scorsese, 1990)

Scorsese, possibly the greatest living director, delivers his masterpiece and the ultimate gangster film. The most revealing film of the mob life writen by real-life gangster Pileggi, far more enjoyable than The Godfather with excellent acting from the 3 leads in unforgetable roles.

27. Battle Royale (Kenji Fukasaku, 2000)

Before i saw this, i'd heard many things, i was expecting a low-budget gore film, i was pleasantly suprised to see it wasn't. The characters are all equally cool in their own way and the way they each deal with their circumstances makes you question how you would act in their position. And did i mention it was just really cool?

26. Usual Suspects (Bryan Singer, 1995) TIE Se7en (David Fincher, 1995)

The twist is probably the thing most people remember from the film, but i love the rest just as much. The 'suspects' are all great and the action and interaction is all superb.

Se7en, again most remember for it's twist, but the whole atmosphere and and graphic depitction of the killings makes a chilling film.

25. LA Confidential (Curtis Hanson, 1997)

Three very different cops in this masterful, twisting neo-noir set in the 1950s. The drama and characters are all developed extremely well through-out and i love the general tone of the film.

24. Apocalypse Now (Francis Ford Coppola, 1979)

Technically brilliant, epic telling of Vietnam through one man's eyes. The film's stunning and Martin Sheen perfectly depicts the conflicts of his character, he's supported by a strong cast, notably Robert Duvall as well-safe Kilgore who leads the Ride of the Valkyrie raid but also young Harrison Ford and Larry Fishburne.

23. Irreversible (Gaspar Noe, 2002)

The sickest, most brutal and disturbing film i've seen. It's a film you can only, morally, watch once. The low frequency (28Hz) noise used to create nausea helps sicken during the graphic violence, and the genuinely disturbing rape scene leave deep scars, but the twist at the end/beginning (it's backwards) tore my heart.

22. The Thing (John Carpenter, 1982)

Isolation is a key theme as a shape shifting alien infects the crew of a small Antartican outpost. It's hard to describe the position the viewer is put in while watching, you never know who's or isn't an alien, the tests, especially, are nerve wracking. And when the alien is revealed, it has to boast the most impressive special effects and gore in any film, forget CGI, this is THE ****.

21. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (Irvin Kershner, 1980) TIE
Flash Gordon
(Mike Hodges, 1980)

I never really took to any of the other Star Wars films, only this one. It certainly has the most going for it, the story is grander, the twists of Lando's loyalty and redemption, Vader's revelation, the action packed light sabre duel, Boba Fett and Yoda- and the thing i find funniest, Lucas doesn't direct it.

Never really mentioned in the same vein as Star Wars and why the **** not? The characters are so much cooler, and Queen does the flippin' soundtrack! The ultimate retro cheese movie (ask 7thson), great script, great ...err acting- Max von Sydow is marvelously merciless as Ming and BRIAN BLESSED!

20. Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade (Steven Spielberg, 1989)

Mainly for the chemistry between Connery and Ford as father and son. The ultimately cool Indiana Jones kicks some more Nazi ass, in, for me, the highlight of the trilogy, definetely the best writen and most comfortable, just plain feel good fun.

19. Scream (Wes Craven, 1996)

When i was younger i must have watched this film more than any other. I feel it works well on 2 levels, as a parody and as a slasher, which together creates a horror masterpiece. The imaginative kills, the psychotic killer, and who didn't own one of those masks?

18. Save the Green Planet (Jun-hwan Jeong, 2003)

Looking at the DVD cover, you'd expect something a little different from this Korean film. It treads a twisted line between black comedy and serious drama and it's never tongue in cheek leaving you with some very disturbingly surreal scenes of torture, cross dressing and death. It plays with your expectations, who's good or bad till the very end, and you're still left wondering.

17. The Matrix (Wachowski Bros, 1999)

What is the matrix? Well, i think we all know that by now. Where to start then, the film has a really confusing, yet thought provoking story, awesome landmark action, introducing bullet time which has already become a cliche, Keanu Reeves masters his 'confused' acting ability (33% of his repetoire), great set designs and visuals, leather costumes amd guns, lots of guns.

16. Leon (Luc Besson, 1994)

I've only seen the US theaterical cut, but it's intense. The gentle yet deadly assassin Leon takes young Mathilda under his wing and teaches her the 'cleaning' trade. The few scenes of actions, while excellent, don't intefer with the touching relationship between student and mentor, which gradually progresses towards the sad end. Reno makes the role his, Portman is adorable and Gary Oldman's villian is spot on.

15. Dr Strangelove (Stanley Kubrick, 1964)

A serious issue, a great comedy. Peter Seller's three roles are all hilarious and it has great dialogue, favourite mostly being the 'bodily fluids' rants. Based on the concept, it shouldn't work but despite this and strong use of stereotypes, it does work, and it is excellent.

14. Blade Runner (Ridley Scott, 1982)

Harrison Ford may have owned several roles like Indy and Han but this one is a bit better, as Deckard, Ford shows more emotion and depth than in his other roles. The city is beautifully crafted and so are the characters, it would seem Rutger Hauer was made for his role. The story as well, based on the Director's Cut, is open to many questions, giving each viewing a necessity.

13. Hard Boiled (John Woo, 1992)

John Woo's gift to Hong Kong cinema before selling out in *ahem* moving to Hollywood. All his tricks are thrown in, glass panes are smashed in suprisingly countless ways- his bullet ballet style is perfected with slow motion gun-fu left, right and centre. Chow Yun Fat and Tony Leung play their cops on both sides of the law well, but who am i kidding, it's all about the gloriously over the top, bloody, shooting and violence which is Hard Boiled, the best action film around.

12. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Terry Gilliam, Tery Jones, 1975) TIE Airplane (Jim Abrahams, David Zucker, 1980)

I'm not joking when i say i wet myself laughing even after the 10th time i watched this. There's about 2 whole minutes where i can't laugh my ass off, be it the Black Knight, the Killer Rabbit or Tim. It owns.

Funy as **** with some great lines. A timeless masterpiece that sets the standard for comedy films to this day.

11. Infernal Affairs (Wai Keung Lau, Siu Fai Mak, 2002)

Simple premise, two men, one a mole in the Triads, one a mole in the police, each looking for the other. Tony Leung has cropped up several times in my list, but this role is his finest, a simple shot of his eyes conveys so much intensity and Andy Lau, the other mole is also suitably coniving. Christoper Doyle, Wong Kar Wai's frequent cinematographer, does a brilliantly subtle job with the feel of the film to create an environment where these two moles can live their claustrophobic lives. The plot places deep empathy with Leung's character but Lau also recieves some sympathy. The twists and the dramatic ending (take note Hollywood- not action packed) are stunning, i'm looking forward to seeing what Scorsese comes up with in his remake The Departed.

10. The Big Lebowski (Joel Coen, 1998)

Every scene, every character, every shot of this superb slacker comedy is perfected. Jeff Bridges, John Goodman and Steve Buscemi are all excellent and own thier roles, but John Turturro as Jesus steals every scene. Great gags, a great surreal dream sequence, great script. A movie i can watch in any mood and laugh.

9. The Crow (Alex Proyas, 1994) TIE Serenity (Joss Whedon, 2005)

Gloriously gothic action comic book movie. A great cast of underrated actors give strong backing to the story of the brutally murdered Lee rising from the grave to get revenge in a series of imaginative and seriously cool ways. Micheal Wincott plays a slick all-time memorable villian against Brandon Lee's tragic hero. The dark atmosphere and dark hero and smooth direction and create a really enoyable action film with a suprising amount of heart.

Whedon brings the characters he lovingly created on short lived TV show Firefly splendidly to the big screen. One of the few films which actually has a heart and brilliant action set pieces. Although it's hard to fill out so many characters in a short time, they are all fresh and unique. It's great to see a sci-fi film which doesn't rely on special effects and is still able to fully entertain more than any other big budget Hollywood film released in the year

8. Drunken Master (Yuen Woo Ping, 1978)

The ultimate martial arts film, simple as that. All it's weakness' contribute to it's brilliance, hammy acting, low budget, cheap sets all give it a gentle charm and when the kung-fu starts it stands out even more, the master, Woo Ping (fight choreographer in The Matrix and Kill Bill) directs the fights with style and fluency resulting in one of the most memorabe kung-fu climaxs, which is just epic kung-fu, no big SFX. The rather silly premise is also one of the greatest aspects, drunken kung-fu is the Don.

7. Amores Perros (Alejandro Inarritu, 2000)

Three stories with characters from different backgrounds with different social standings are all linked by one devastating car crash. Each is a romance of some description, betrayal and twists are interwoven into each tragic and moving thread. El Chivo, the homeless hitman competes with Gael Garcia Bernal's lovesick dogfighter for best acting and the bleached film gives a bleak aesthetic feel to it and shows New Mexico in a refreshing, yet gritty light.

6. Chinatown (Roman Polanski, 1974)

The perfect noir film, which doesn't hold back or comply to Hollywood's rules of happy endings and political correctness. Jack Nicholson is plain cool as J.J, even though he spends most the film with a big bandage on his face, courtesy of a Polanski cameo. A movie i can watch over and over and never tire, the pace, the acting, the sounds, the direction all merge to create one brilliant film.