Best Comic Book Movie?

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Oh, I concur. Nothing comes close to Sin City for a comic book come to life. It's in a league of it's own as far as I am concerned. I just can't compare something like Sin City to stuff like Spiderman and Hulk, as I feel that even though they are all technically comic book films, the subject matter if Sin City is very un-comic like. It's hard for me to compare a hard-boiled, ultra violent piece like Sin City with a film about a high-school kid that dresses up in tights and fights super villains. I like the ideas and concepts behind both, but it's just apples and oranges to me. Sin City is Sin City, and then there is the rest of the stuff, which share more similar trappings with one another in both comic and film form.

I will say like Superman:The Movie, Batman Begins, and Unbreakable almost as much as Sin City, but not quite, and one certainly can't sit and compare Superman to Sin City without cracking a grin. Then comes the rest of the stuff, somewhere under those listed above.

shit, i forgot to mention batman begins....and i thought unbreakable was sorta weakish, if it wasn't for the typical shymalan (sp?) ending i would have thought it was shyte.....
oh and sedai, i think i mentioned this a couple of times, but i have a great disadvantage compared to the rest of you, if i want to watch a classic movie ( that's a bit older ) i have to depend on the mercy of my national tv seeing as how my videostore(s) don't hold anything older then 3 years.....

Until this year my answer to this question was always...

Conan the Barbarian (1982 - John Milius)

A dark, bloody, great adaptation of both the original Robert E. Howard pulps and the sensibilty of Frank Frazetta & the graphic novels and comic books. Too bad Conan the Destroyer was beyond horrible, and now that Ah-nold is the Governator the rumored King Conan project reuniting him with Milius is probably forever dead. At least the great first film will live...to see its enemies crushed and driven before it, and to hear the lamentation of the women!

But with SIN CITY and Batman Begins, I'll have to reevaluate things. I also really like Superman: The Movie (1978), Dick Tracy (1990), Men in Black (1997), Creepshow (1982), Akira (1988) and American Splendor (2003). X-Men 2: X-Men United was definitely the best of the recent pre-2005 superhero crop, with the opening Nightcrawler in the White House and Magneto's escape from the plastic prison sequences alone making it must-see fun.

My newly adjusted top ten would be...

1. Sin City (2005 - Miller & Rodriguez)
2. Conan the Barbarian (1982 - John Milius)
3. Batman Begins (2005 - Chris Nolan)
4. American Splendor (2003 - Berman & Pulcini)
5. Superman: The Movie (1978 - Richard Donner)
6. Dick Tracy (1990 - Warren Beatty)
7. Akira (1988 - Katsuhiro Ôtomo)
8. Men In Black (1997 - Barry Sonnenfeld)
9. X-Men 2: X-Men United (2003 - Bryan Singer)
10. Creepshow (1982 - George Romero)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Arg!!!! Why do I always forget Conan, meanwhile I watch it a few times a year... Great, great film...

Holden, I take it you hated Unbreakable as well. Maybe I need to move this to guilty pleasures....Still, I love the subtle comic framing and the atmosphere of this film. Seems like many don't like it though...

Originally Posted by Sedai
Oh, I concur. Nothing comes close to Sin City for a comic book come to life. It's in a league of it's own as far as I am concerned. I just can't compare something like Sin City to stuff like Spiderman and Hulk, as I feel that even though they are all technically comic book films, the subject matter if Sin City is very un-comic like. It's hard for me to compare a hard-boiled, ultra violent piece like Sin City with a film about a high-school kid that dresses up in tights and fights super villains. I like the ideas and concepts behind both, but it's just apples and oranges to me. Sin City is Sin City, and then there is the rest of the stuff, which share more similar trappings with one another in both comic and film form.

I will say like Superman:The Movie, Batman Begins, and Unbreakable almost as much as Sin City, but not quite, and one certainly can't sit and compare Superman to Sin City without cracking a grin. Then comes the rest of the stuff, somewhere under those listed above.
Well, Graphic novels are much more different them comics, if you want comics, Batman Begins is my favorite

"Walk down the right back ally in Sin City, and you'll find anything" Marv

Originally Posted by Sabbath666
Well, Graphic novels are much more different them comics, if you want comics, Batman Begins is my favorite
They are at that. I have boatloads of both comics and graphic novels at my house collecting dust (Sin City included...)

I do love cracking the boxes occasionally and reading some of the great story arcs of Miller, Moore, Busiak etc....

You an Alan Moore reader?

What are your thoughts on V for Vendetta hitting the screen...

Originally Posted by Sedai
They are at that. I have boatloads of both comics and graphic novels at my house collecting dust (Sin City included...)

I do love cracking the boxes occasionally and reading some of the great story arcs of Miller, Moore, Busiak etc....

You an Alan Moore reader?

What are your thoughts on V for Vendetta hitting the screen...
Alan Moore is the guy that did From Hell right? That was a great graphic novel. V for Vendetta looks very good, I can't wait for it.

But on Batman begins, I think thats based on a graphic novel done by Frank Miller called Batman Year One, ever read it?

But on Batman begins, I think thats based on a graphic novel done by Frank Miller called Batman Year One, ever read it?
Only in some basics and generalities. But Batman Begins ain't Batman: Year One. If you really think so, I have to ask when was the last time you read it?

As for Unbreakable, I don't hate it, but I don't think it's especially good either.

And most importantly, it is not an adaptation of a comic, either story or characters. M. Night was delving into that world of course in his own way, but I wouldn't include it in such discussions.

Akira (1988 - Otomo, based on his own comics)

And then there's Popeye (the Fleischer cartoons and the Altman flick), Dellamorte Dellamore (pretty sure it's taken from Sclavi's Dylan Dog), and The Hulk. Those would all make my list too (if I had one).

want to see: Ninja Bugeicho (1967 - Oshima, based on the comics by Sampei Shirato)

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Originally Posted by linespalsy
Akira (1988 - Otomo, based on his own comics)
Ninja Bugeicho (1967 - Oshima, based on the comics by Sampei Shirato)

And then there's Popeye (the Fleischer cartoons and the Altman flick), Dellamorte Dellamore (pretty sure it's taken from Sclavi's Dylan Dog), and The Hulk.
finally someone else who like s The Hulk and Altman's Popeye!

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Only in some basics and generalities. But Batman Begins ain't Batman: Year One. If you really think so, I have to ask when was the last time you read it?

As for Unbreakable, I don't hate it, but I don't think it's especially good either.

And most importantly, it is not an adaptation of a comic, either story or characters. M. Night was delving into that world of course in his own way, but I wouldn't include it in such discussions.
I only read this somewhere, I think that just some basic ideas and a few parts were used in the film, I know most of it isn't in the movie, I just meant that.

Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
finally someone else who like s The Hulk
Some fans you two are.

The Hulk?

I like Hulk quite a bit too.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Alan Moore is the guy that did From Hell right? That was a great graphic novel. V for Vendetta looks very good, I can't wait for it.

Yeah, I have most of the seminal Miller stuff in either original form or trade paperback. Ronin is another of his works I really dig.

As for From Hell, Moore wrote the original run, but had nothing to do with the film, at all. Actually, he had nothing to do with any of the films that are based around his stuff. The Watchmen is another great story by Moore I recommend reading if you haven't yet.

As for V for Vendetta, I hope it sticks to the material and comes out well, but I have a feeling it won't... I would read it first before seeing the film if you haven't yet...

Hulk comics are my faves, did anyone ever watch the show from the 60's? That's quality programming

Hulk comics are my faves, did anyone ever watch the show from the 60's? That's quality programming
The TV show "The Incredible Hulk" with Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno? That was the late '70 and early '80s (1978-1982 specifically).

That show was cheesy even then. Looking back at it now even more so. That they only took the very central idea of The Hulk and grafted it on to the framework of "The Fugitive" is disappointing if you like the comic books. Though I do rather like the simple piano theme.

No, the animated one done by Bakshi, actually, it was more like the 50's

No, the animated one done by Bakshi, actually, it was more like the 50's
Bashki did Spider-man back then, with the hulk making guest appearances. There was never a Hulk show, though. And yes, it was the 60s for that one....

Yeah, I just saw, 1966

It credits him for making Iron Man and Hulk in the same year on IMDB

Yeah, I just saw, 1966

It credits him for making Iron Man and Hulk in the same year on IMDB
I did not know that...interesting. Where did you cach the re-runs of the show? Or were you around back then....