POLL: Best Coen Brother's Movie

Tools    

BTW, i recommend Bruce Campbell's autobiography that Holden mentioned, its very good and called If Chins Could Kill, which is probably my favourite book title. Ever.

"Housepainter to the Stars"
My favorite, and the one I can watch endlessly -

RAISING ARIZONA

I've never been a fan of Raising Arizona. Not sure why, just really don't find it that funny. I haven't watched it in a few years though, maybe it will have grown on me as my tastes have changed.

As for their funniest movie, I would say far and away O' Brother Where Art Though... Simply a brilliant film.

I rule
Miller's Crossing is their greatest movie, but most of their work is pretty dam good ... well until their recent efforts!

REVIEWS

Anonymous Last told me to drop in ...

Here's my list (still haven't seen The Ladykillers or Barton Fink)

1. Miller's Crossing
2. Fargo
3. Blood Simple
4. Raising Arizona
5. The Man Who Wasn't There
6. The Hudsucker Proxy
7. The Big Lebowski
8. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
9. Intolerable Cruelty

I didn't like Raising Arizona much the first time I watched it, but it has grown on me with each viewing (The same way most other Coen Brothers pictures have).

My favorite, though I concede that it isn’t necessarily their best, will always be Raising Arizona. Partly because it is just so damn funny and creative, but also because of the two titular characters. Nicholas Cage proves early on in his career that comedy is as natural to him as tour de force performances that will eventually skyrocket him to superstardom. Holly Hunter shows that she can be beautiful and crazy at the same time, and just like her co-star, proves that comedy comes as easily to her as playing powerhouse characters as she did in The Piano and Crash. She is one of my favorite living actresses. And, of course, John Goodman, William Forsythe, Trey Wilson, and Tex Cobb, are all pretty damn fun in all their own ways. Great, great, great movie.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

ALL OF THEM!!!
except "Ladykillers"

Neutral Milk Hotel
The Big Lebowski
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
The Big Lebowski is one of my favortite movies of all time not just from the Coens.

Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.

The Dude: That's a great plan, Walter. That's ****in' ingenious, if I understand it correctly. It's a Swiss ****in' watch.

Walter Sobchak: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.
The Dude: Yeah, but Walter...
Walter Sobchak: Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish.

Walter Sobchak: I told those ****s down at the league office a thousand times that I don't roll on Shabbos!
Donny: What's Shabbos?

Jesus Quintana: What's this day of rest ****? What's this bull****? I don't ****in' care! It don't matter to Jesus. But you're not foolin' me, man. You might fool the ****s in the league office, but you don't fool Jesus. This bush league psyche-out stuff. Laughable, man - ha ha! I would have ****ed you in the ass Saturday. I **** you in the ass next Wednesday instead. Wooo! You got a date Wednesday, baby!
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

I've seen 'em all now.

1. Barton Fink
2. Miller's Crossing
3. Blood Simple
4. Raising Arizona
5. Fargo
6. The Big Lebowski
7. The Man Who Wasn't There
8. The Hudsucker Proxy
9. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
10. Intolerable Cruelty
11. The Ladykillers

It's fair to say I've loved all of the the Coen Brothers' movies (with the exception of the last two they did; I didn't think they were as good as the rest of the Coens' filmography, but still enjoyable and worth owning).

The Adventure Starts Here!
Still haven't seen Miller's Crossing, Blood Simple, Big Lebowski, Man Who Wasn't There.

BUT, among those I have seen, I have to start with RAISING ARIZONA. It was my first Coen Bros. movie and wasn't anything like what I expected. In fact, even the fact that the credits don't show up till, what? fifteen minutes into the movie? I found just hilarious. Gotta love that yeee-hooooo yodeling stuff in the main theme.

[paraphrasing]
Arizona: He was in his jammies.
Officer: What did they have on them?
Arizona: I dunno. Yodas 'n sh*t.

Second fave is probably FARGO, followed closely by O BROTHER. All three of these are rewatchable, over and over, which is always the mark of a good movie to me. If I can see it on HBO and stop what I'm doing to watch it, every time, it's a good movie.

A system of cells interlinked
1. Miller's Crossing
2. Fargo
3. The Big Lebowski
4. Blood Simple
5. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
6. The Man Who Wasn't There

7. Raising Arizona (It's been at least 10 years since I saw this film, I am sure it's great, but don't remember it that well.)
8. Intolerable Cruelty

The rest I still need to see.

Hmmmm, way too tough for me to do I guess it depends on which one I have watched recently.....

motivationally deficient
Fargo

i love the body+mulcher

EDIT: Member's image too large! That puppy's outta' here!

Originally Posted by jamesglewisf
I like "O Brother, Where Art Thou." It was really funny.

I also like Fargo and Raising Arizona. I thought the Lebowski movie was awful.
O Brother or Raising Arizona, not a big Nic Cage fan but I thought he was excellent in this one, and I love Holly Hunter in ANYTHING even the Kids-esque Thirteen.

I don't get the big fuss about Lebowski either, thankfully I'm not the only one.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Raising Arizona
The Man Who Wasn't There
O Brother
Big Lebowski
Hudsucker's Proxy