Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

I was going to watch Top Hat (1935) but there was too much rhyming with whats going on in my life, so I am going to watch The Wizard of Oz instead.

An absolutely classic stage musical, handsomely mounted and performed as a film!
Well then, I will add it onto my list of musicals here and see it soon in my month of music movies.

Pauline Kael's Hideous Mutant Love CHUD
Still working our way through 1937, tonight's chronological retro goodie is a genuine and inarguable cinematic CLASSIC...!

"If it was priggish for an older generation of reviewers to be ashamed of what they enjoyed and to feel they had to be contemptuous of popular entertainment, it's even more priggish for a new movie generation to be so proud of what they enjoy that they use their education to try to place trash within the acceptable academic tradition." -- Pauline Kael

The Northman

Penguin's origin story:

Tonight's retro cinema wow: the vastly entertaining (and criminally underrated) 1937 adventure thriller, The Last Train from Madrid... including a VERY early appearance by the young Anthony Quinn!

I watched this yesterday - hadn´t watched it in years. I´ll probably watch it again tonight, I feel like I got a new comfort movie.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	OnTheEdge.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	94269  

Tonight's retro feel-good flick: the last really out-and-out funny Marx Brothers outing. (No, I absolutely am not going to argue about this, thank you).

Yeah, a favorite. I have some ancestry back there, but I'm glad to living in this time rather than butchering English villages.

Tonight's movie was Jules - It's sort of a sci-fi fantasy, feel good flick. A flying saucer crash lands near a rural Pennsylvania small town and 3 fairly isolated seniors (not high school students, but old folks) find it and an enigmatic passenger. The main character, Milton, leads a lonely life, making regular appearances at town council meetings to issue the same complaints, only now, he has found an alien. Only Milton and two eccentric friends have seen the alien and all seem like candidates for the dementia clinic, especially when they tell anybody else.

The alien seems quite harmless, somewhat befuddled on earth and completely non-verbal, although seemingly understanding what's going on by some sort of intuition. It seems that the alien needs something that can be used to repair the vessel (I won't mention what), and these folks going to shelter "Jules" and obtain what he needs with some help and hinderance from the other locals in this small, isolated town.

Jules veers and steers a course between maudlin, soapy, feel-good and whimsical, sometimes hitting all four in the same moment. I liked it, but could not help thinking that pulled a bit too hard on my heart-strings and moved somewhat slowly. I enjoyed it, felt glad that Jules (not ET, mind you) got to go home, but I couldn't quite get teary.