The Meg 2: The Trench

Tools    

I wouldn't exactly write this off you know?? The theatre was pretty full for being Preview night, but to answer your question, no, I didn't dress up as a giant bomb, but wore normal clothes and definitely not Soy Boy Pink

I could have sworn this was you.

So I saw it....it might be the worst movie of the year.

Words can not express how bad the first hour of this film is. And while the second part is good(ish) it's still a PG-13 film that needed to be R. The trailers kinda hid the terrible parts in the film but naratively it's a mess. The film has a lot of terrible things going for it but Jing Wu is basically the new Jason Statham so each action man needs to get in his action man scenes. It's so cringe y and transparent

BKB

I could have sworn this was you.
Honestly, I wish I had that Dude's abs?? I'm definitely going to give this 1 more viewing before this goes to Blu Ray where an "Unrated Edition" will be released.. The more I think about it, the more I really enjoyed how Statham killed the final MEG... Very unique since JAWS did pretty much have the patent on shooting the scuba tank to blow him up..

BKB
So I saw it....it might be the worst movie of the year.

Words can not express how bad the first hour of this film is. And while the second part is good(ish) it's still a PG-13 film that needed to be R. The trailers kinda hid the terrible parts in the film but naratively it's a mess. The film has a lot of terrible things going for it but Jing Wu is basically the new Jason Statham so each action man needs to get in his action man scenes. It's so cringe y and transparent
Everyone harps on this being an R-Rated movie when we saw what R-Rating did with "The BLACK DEMON" and that was nowhere other than harsh language?? How do you make something like this R-Rated for a shark that can swallow you whole as demonstrated in several scenes?? The whole R-Rating VS PG-13 seems to come down to feeling pandered to with PG-13 and feeling grown up with an R-Rating??

Everyone harps on this being an R-Rated movie when we saw what R-Rating did with "The BLACK DEMON" and that was nowhere other than harsh language?? How do you make something like this R-Rated for a shark that can swallow you whole as demonstrated in several scenes?? The whole R-Rating VS PG-13 seems to come down to feeling pandered to with PG-13 and feeling grown up with an R-Rating??

So what the filmmaker does is he basically turns the camera away everytime something good is about to happen. The last Meg film was PG-13 but because they set the atmosphere and scenes up for tension it was okay. In this film it's look at all the cool stuff we're doing...eh never mind.

BKB
So what the filmmaker does is he basically turns the camera away everytime something good is about to happen. The last Meg film was PG-13 but because they set the atmosphere and scenes up for tension it was okay. In this film it's look at all the cool stuff we're doing...eh never mind.
Um, I saw people being eaten left and right in this movie, swallowed whole and not sure how making this R-Rated would've made it better??

BKB
$3.2m for Meg 2 Previews. Seems pretty decent for a movie barely advertised and had to rely on Youtube and WOM along with SHARK WEEK.. Had this been released in April or even May, this would've done better

Warner Bros. also has some lagniappe at the weekend box office with The Meg 2: The Trench which is expected to do between $20M-$30M. Last night from previews that began at 3PM, the shark sequel did $3.2M at 3,400 locations. That’s a pretty good result for a sequel that stars a shark: The first Jason Statham movie brought in $4M in previews before churning out a $16.6M Friday, and $45.4M opening off what was a very campy, satirical marketing campaign. The $129M costing Meg 2 has a 50% stake from China’s CMC. Critics on Rotten Tomatoes loathe the sequel at 28% worse than the first movie back in 2018 at 45%. It’s a popcorn film for the masses, not for the tweeds.

Yeah, but you knew all along it was being released in August.

I'm thinking more like $90-100 Million opening regardless of this stigma of movies in August being the dumping ground

A system of cells interlinked
$3.2m for Meg 2 Previews. Seems pretty decent for a movie barely advertised and had to rely on Youtube and WOM along with SHARK WEEK.. Had this been released in April or even May, this would've done better[/i]
For the record, this was the first trailer that played when I went to see MI:7, so it was at least being advertised at cinemas. I don't tend to watch commercial TV, so no idea about its visibility there.

BKB
Yeah, but you knew all along it was being released in August.
And?? What does this have to do with anything?? That wasn't my decision to do so.. This should've been released in April or May, but whatever.. This movie will have legs for sure

BKB
For the record, this was the first trailer that played when I went to see MI:7, so it was at least being advertised at cinemas. I don't tend to watch commercial TV, so no idea about its visibility there.
When I went to see this yesterday, there wasn't one, ONE Poster or display for this movie for anyone to even knows it existed.. There's no spinning this that WB simply didn't care about this and that's unfortunate because there is an audience for this..

And?? What does this have to do with anything??
It means you knew the release date when you made your myriad confident predictions, so using it as an excuse when they turn out wildly wrong doesn't make sense.

The trick is not minding
Also, let’s not pretend strong (and I’m using the term loosely here) box office numbers are necessarily a good indication of the quality of the film itself.

It's possible that, if this thread is any indication of the general reasoning powers of Meg 2 superfans, that many of them simply got lost on their way to the theatre.

So maybe this movie will turn out to have legs after all. At least once their families recover them all from whatever manholes they've fallen into, or ditches they've rolled to the bottom of, and point them in the direction of the nearest dollar cinema.

Oh Ben Wheatley….how far you have fallen. How do you go from the trippy and amazing In The Earth to….this?

Thanks for reminding me he also did In the Earth. Otherwise it was going to be "it's been a loooong time since A Field in England and Kill List".

I guess it's One for them, One for Netflix, One for China*, One for me.

Which is a better ratio than Five for Marvel, One for m.. nevermind, Six for Marvel.

*: Didn't the first Meg do well in China, which is where I'm guessing this one is hoping to make its money? I don't know. I know I have a magic little device in my hands that can give me access to such information, but I can't be bothered to check.

Sharks don't have legs.

Checkmate, marine biologists.
Actuallyyyyy you will find there are sharks that can walk on land, we should all be very afraid:

BKB
Exhibitor Relations Co.
@ERCboxoffice
MEG 2: INGREDIENT LIST

Domestic Debut: $30M
Budget: $130M
Male: 56%
25+: 69%
CS: B-
PLF: 40% (3D 22%)
10:00 AM · Aug 6, 2023
·
Views

Well, I for one would've loved nothing more than for this to have opened alot higher and felt it could've been had it been marketed better and released in April or May and for the MEG III, provided there is one, I'd like to see what Eli Roth could do with this since he once had an interest in this franchise??