Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Wonder Woman (2017)

Wonder Woman is one of those films where I have to temper myself a bit. The movies good, well actually it's fine but was it a 93% film a virtual masterpiece...no. I had three major issues with the film, first being Gal Gadot isn't really that good of an actress her emotional swings in the film didn't really come across at points. The big twist is fairly telegraphed by casting the recognizable actor in a very small role. And finally and this is what bugged me the most, the movie kills thousands of people it's WWI you've got trenches, Calvary strikes, gas attacks and zero blood. Wonder Woman disembowel's a man at one point and the blade is smooth and clean like it just came out of a dishwasher.

With that said, the film does a number of things right. Unlike most DC films it doesn't try and tell three different stories at once. This is one cohesive well told story, her origin is handled well. The movie also looks good, it's not the typical washed out blues, the characters physics are relatively consistent. Chris Pine did a very good job bringing humor into the film...which was the strongest suit of the film.

Welcome to the human race...
Seeing as two people have remarked on it so far, I do question what obligation Wonder Woman has to be a particularly violent movie. Does it really need to involve graphic displays of gore and genocide to sell its invocation of WWI-era horrors? If anything, it's better for emphasising the grim (if not necessarily bloody) aftermath of combat for soldiers and civilians alike - going all Hacksaw Ridge on things would just be distracting and out-of-place. The last thing we need is another Watchmen-like movie that plays up the depiction of superhero violence in a way that contradicts the text's attempts to criticise said violence.

Last movie I watched...

Pi -

I'd need to revisit a couple of other Aronofsky films to be sure, but I wonder if this is his best.

Seeing as two people have remarked on it so far, I do question what obligation Wonder Woman has to be a particularly violent movie.

I would expect a fair bit of violence, she did a fair bit of killing in the comics.

This film was amazing!
It was better than "Alien: Covenant"!
Very, very good!
But I think that I'm alone in this...
Anyway, I really liked!
Still all I can think is Flubber is pissed

Thanks @Redwell

Obligation of violence? They kills hundreds of people on screen with arrows and swords and their is no blood, it doesn't have to be hyper realistic like Hacksaw Ridge or Watchmen but no squibs? It didn't even have the blood levels for Network TV.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Is she Gulliver's wife?
In Yours 3 post above was much more great ideas, than in all this film. I wish it was about Guliwers wife. I wish it would be about... something.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Boone the Bounty Hunter - Pro wrestler John "Johnny Mundo" Hennigan plays the titular character, a reality TV star who catches celebrities by using his excellent parkour skills and has one-liners like "You just got Boone'd" and "America, you're welcome". However, when he learns his show is facing cancellation, he decides to take on a real case by taking down a drug lord hiding in Mexico after the drug lord's fugitive son is wanted for the overdose death of a young woman.

The highlight of the film is actually Hennigan himself. Many know and are under the impression with wrestlers becoming actors isn't always a good thing. After playing legendary characters like Hercules and Sinbad in two low-budgeted features that were universally trashed, Hennigan actually created this character, which really showcases his talents as both actor and fighter on screen. He may have the skills, but Boone is also human as he gets the receiving end mostly of two two-on-one encounters with sibling henchmen of the drug lord played by martial arts aces Lateef Crowder and TJ Storm. He gets ample support from Spencer Grammer (Kelsey's daughter) and Osric Chau as his two most trusted allies with MMA legend Quentin "Rampage" Jackson as the third ally who only comes in during a dire emergency aside from the opening.

Richard Tyson once again shows why he is such a good villain actor with former child star Jonathan Lipnicki playing his spoiled son, who is forced to go fugitive and even has a funny scene where he attempts to use Jiujitsu on Boone (Lipnicki is trained in BJJ). Lorenzo Lamas also appears as a bartender who at first doesn't want to get involved but soon does as an unexpected ally to our hero. Kevin Sorbo plays himself and appears only in the film's opening scene.

A fun wild action ride that definitely helped Hennigan both acting and action wise. He has great parkour skills and even does both his grappling and martial arts quite well when necessary. Only complaint is that some action scenes could have used a little better editing.

This is one I would actually would hope there will be a sequel to. Who knows?

Final Rating: B

Goodnight Mommy (2014)

It Comes at Night(2017)

It Comes at Night received a glorious D from Cinemascore, this movie is not for everyone. Challenging, dark and ambiguous It Comes At Night will not let you leave the theater happy. The movie opens days/months/year or so after a deadly virus has destroyed civilization. The family's grandfather is succumbing to the virus and the father has to put him down. The family of three and the pet dog are living in an isolated cabin when a break-in occurs one night.

Eventually the group doubles and the film becomes about paranoia and the struggle to keep your family alive. It feels a bit like an episode of the Walking Dead, a really good episode of the walking dead.

Most of the scares come from the lead boy's dream sequences...which is what I suspect bothers most people who come to see this film. The Monster doesn't exist...it's death. The last 20 minutes are truly horrifying where smart people to the smart thing and it still ends up going horribly wrong for everyone.

Visually it's a great film, the house is foreboding without going over the top. The lantern light gives it a great atmosphere at night where all the faces are backlit. And the virus manifests itself in a manner which leads to the exaggerated nightmares. This would be a great double feature with The Road(2009).

Amistad (1997)

This was a rewatch. Don't know why this movie isn't considered more of an absolute classic. Except for being a little too long (my usual complaint for movies over 2 hours) it is moving and impeccably acted with the real life language barrier effectively worked into the film. It's an historical period piece with a stellar cast and great John Williams soundtrack.

Zero rating. I thought this was supposed to be a good movie? Hated it & bailed out within 30 minutes or so.

Moonrise Kingdom (2012) -

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004) -

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

I would expect a fair bit of violence, she did a fair bit of killing in the comics.
She does a fair bit of killing in the movie too, it's just a question of how graphically it gets depicted.

Obligation of violence? They kills hundreds of people on screen with arrows and swords and their is no blood, it doesn't have to be hyper realistic like Hacksaw Ridge or Watchmen but no squibs? It didn't even have the blood levels for Network TV.
Yeah, that's PG-13 movies for you. You can show a lot provided that you don't show any blood or gore e.g. the pencil-in-the-eye bit from The Dark Knight. I seem to recall Jenkins saying that they deliberately toned it down in order to make it more accessible, which makes sense to me. I didn't exactly need it to get especially graphic in its depiction of wartime atrocity.

Last movie I watched...

Holy Motors -
, maybe

It's a little weird.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

(Tim Burton)

Tim Burton is at his best and most creative when he is restricted by budget and practical effects. Edward Scissorhands is a cold film, but underneath it has heart and brings warmth to the characters and story. You see the creativity in the set designs, practical "inventions" and all the hedge artwork, to the point where I felt like I knew those suburbs and lived there. Give Burton creative freedom and the means to do so with budget and unlimited technology, he loses a sense of realism. The more creativity you give him, the less interested you become in his creations. Alive in Wonderland gave Burton a blank palette to bring his visions to the screen and mix them with what Lewis Carroll imagined. The result is a sense of disconnect. I don't know this place, or how it should feel. It looks pretty, but ends of being hollow. I had the same feelings when I watched Maleficent and Oz, The Great & Powerful.

In Burton's Miss Peregrine, he finds a pretty decent balance. Incorporating both the CGI elements and more something practical gives the film the otherworldly feel he wanted, but doesn't distract the viewer too much into the nonsensical. The film sees a young boy named Jake who doesn't seem to fit in with his family or school life. His closest friend was his grandfather, Abe, who would tell him these stories about monsters and children with odd special abilities who lived at a school he use to visit. When his uncle dies under mysterious circumstances, it forces Jake to go searching for this school to see if these stories are true. What he finds is beyond his imagination. Can he save the children and their protector, Miss Peregrine from an evil force on the hunt to destroy them?

Yes, this story suits Burton's whimsical style perfectly, but that's not enough. I need a story to invest in and this film has sprinkles of that, but as a whole feels empty. I'm not familiar with this story and hoped the film would adequately show the world these kids live in to me. I only got a sense of that, in hazy spots. I know there is a great story here in the pages of the book, the translation to screen feels a little fragmented. A lot of this is due to the bland performance of the hero Jake, played by Asa Butterfield. Known for his roles in Hugo and Ender's Game, Butterfield has a Depp like quality to him that I think Burton likes, but he is out of his element here. Butterfield gives a wooden and tone deaf performance. Not helping him is Finlay MacMillan who plays a peculiar who can raise the dead or bring inanimate objects to life. He instantly dislikes Jake and we are forced to watch them have this unearned sloppy rivalry of sorts. I hesitate calling it that because it barely resembles one.

The real standouts are Eva Green, who will soon be a Burton regular and Ella Purnell, the blonde haired and faired skin peculiar who can control air, but will float away if she's not weighed down. They manage to channel their inner oddness and bring their characters to life. When they were on the screen, I was engaged, when it was Butterfield, I was bored. Samuel L. Jackson is the villain, he hams it up a bit, but it works here and he doesn't become too Samuel L. Jackson-y.

Miss Peregrine isn't Burton's worst film, nor will it be mentioned among his best. It's a film in his filmography that will probably be forgotten among so many similar flicks. Burton has done this before, he's done it better. At least he's bringing it back a little though. Gone is the CGI vomit on the screen and in its place are actual characters in actual places. So at least he's got that going for him.

Suspect's Reviews

movies can be okay...
Last movie I watched...

Pi -

I'd need to revisit a couple of other Aronofsky films to be sure, but I wonder if this is his best.
This is funny, because I just finished watching this for the first time as well and I'm quite disappointed by it, it's more of a
for me, and that is mainly due to its delivery; I mean that acting....wow...I couldn't let it slide.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

This is funny, because I just finished watching this for the first time as well and I'm quite disappointed by it, it's more of a
for me, and that is mainly due to its delivery; I mean that acting....wow...I couldn't let it slide.
This was actually a rewatch for me (first viewing must have been, I don't know, at least seven years ago?) and I originally gave it a
at the time. I don't really have a problem with the acting - this definitely feels like the kind of film where the quality of performances is secondary to the actual text of the film so you pretty much have to accept that in order to pick up on what the film is really laying down.