My Most Disturbing Movie Experiences

Tools    

The Hours

Even though the film is beautifully acted by a superb cast, this movie is a total downer...first of all, I have personal issues with the issue of suicide which put me off this movie even before I began watching it. I was also bothered by the fact that it was never clear why Virginia Woolf (Nicole Kidman) or Julianne Moore's character wanted to end their lives. I also found it troubling that when Moore's character gets ready to do the deed, she decides to leave her son at a friend's house and from the ride over to the house to the second she walked out the door, you get the sense that her son knows exactly what she's planning to do and I had a hard time swallowing that.

I saw Candy recently, a fairly decent and unpleasant movie.

Natural Born Killers is one of my most disappointing movies. I wish it disturbed me!

Haven't seen the last 2.

Ladies and gentleman, I would like to introduce you all to the new moderator at Movie Forums.

He was sent from downtown......

For those that dont know, this scene was written in by Mamet for the movie.

I recently learned that was Nicole Kidman in The Hours. Never knew (never seen it, only heard of it in passing). It looks nothing like her.

I recently learned that was Nicole Kidman in The Hours. Never knew (never seen it, only heard of it in passing). It looks nothing like her.
Kidman won an Oscar for The Hours

I might have to watch The Hours, Nicole Kidman, Meryl Streep and Julianne Moore makes that movie seem worth a watch.
It's not an easy watch, Citizen, but I think you would like it and all three ladies are superb...so is Ed Harris.

Cruising

This dark and ugly tale of an undercover cop (Al Pacino) who goes deep under in the gay community to sniff out a killer was disturbing on so many levels. This movie caused a national firestorm during its initial release due to its depiction of "the gay community", but this film really takes place among a very specific sub culture of said community...the B&D/S&M crowd which was a little unsettling for an alleged mainstream film. The film is unflattering in its depiction of this community and I was also troubled by the fact that the story hints at Pacino's character becoming so deeply involved that he actually begins questioning his own sexuality, but the story doesn't really commit to it either way.

The Lovely Bones

This is the story of a 12 year old girl named Susie who is murdered by a neighborhood pedophile but finds her soul trapped in some sort of purgatory because she can't accept the fact that her killer has alluded justice. The idea of looking at a murder from the point of view of the victim is an intriguing one, but the story doesn't commit to it fully. We see a young girl who is unable to rest in peace because her killer still roams the street, but the story doesn't really give her any power to do anything about it. Why have the girl in this agony about her death but make her powerless to change it? It is only made even more aggravating by a clear spiritual connection between Susie and her father, who hasn't fully accepted Susie's death, feels her inside of him, and never stops the search for her killer. A form of justice does come about for Susie, but it was unsatisfying to me and the movie left me pissed off.

Natural Born Killers

There were some good performances, but other than that, I can't think of a single thing I liked about this movie. I was pretty much squirming throughout right up to the horrible taste it left in my mouth. This movie made my sick to my stomach. Can't believe Oliver Stone directed this mess.
I have to agree. NBK was easily one of the most over-directed movies I've ever seen. No pun when I say this but Stone edited this movie while on acid.

Quentin Tarantino wrote it, not that anyone could tell, and Stone must have 86'd all the cool banter that comes with a QT script. I really would like to see him do this movie again and QT direct it himself. I bet it would watch totally different, and improve.

To Die For

Despite a scorching screenplay by Buck Henry and, for my money, the best performance of Nicole Kidman's career, this film is rich with squirm worthy elements. Kidman's character, Suzanne Stone, is a manipulative witch who marries a man she doesn't really love (Matt Dillon). and when he gets in the way of her own ambitions, she plans to get rid of him and plans to do it without sullying her own hands. And when her accomplices are on the verge of being caught, she basically hangs them out to dry in order to save her own neck. This woman uses her brain (such as it is ) and her body to get what she wants and is pretty much devoid of a moral compass. I can't recall the last time I saw a cinematic monster wrapped in such a smoking hot package, which only further intensifies this film's annoyance level...but I never get tired of watching it.

Star 80

Masterfully directed by Bob Fosse, this is the fact-based drama of a former Dairy Queen employee named Dorothy Stratten (Mariel Hemingway) who becomes a Playboy centerfold thanks to manipulative much older boyfriend/Svengali Paul Snider (Eric Roberts), but the more famous Dorothy becomes, the tighter Paul's grip becomes on her life. This movie is squirm worthy thanks to Fosse's direction and the bone-chilling performance by Eric Roberts, playing one of cinema's most despicable villains.

Gone Baby Gone

This movie aggravated me from jump. The idea that a little girl has been kidnapped and that her drug addicted mother might have had something to do with it was disturbing enough, but the disturbance factor was intensified when investigators (Casey Affleck, Michelle Monoghan) confront the junkie mother (Amy Ryan), she really doesn't seem that concerned about what's going on with her daughter.

Boys Don't Cry

This movie was disturbing to me but not for the reasons you might think. I wasn't disturbed by the fact that Teena Brandon (Oscar winner Hillary Swank) felt that she was a man trapped in a woman's body. What bothered me is that she tried to perpetrate a very dangerous fraud. She decided to try and live her life as a man and even a initiate a romance with a young woman (Chloe Sevigny) pretending to be a man. It's been awhile since I've watched this, but I don't remember the character even thinking about surgery to become a man and she blew up at a friend who called her a lesbian. She chose to live a very dangerous lie and paid a serious price for it.