Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Star Trek Beyond (2016) -

Out of the three films, this one feels the closest to being an episode of the tv series.

McCoy was always my favourite character in the original series, and I've been a fan of Karl Urban for many, many years, so his relative lack of screen time in the previous two movies was always a huge negative for me. He gets a more prominent role in Beyond, and some of the subplots I never cared for (such as the Uhura/Spock romance) are much more subdued and don't do anything to derail the film this time around.

I'll actually have to rewatch Star Trek (2009) to decide if I like that film or Beyond more, because it's a close call for me. This is really the sequel fans deserved to get instead of Into Darkness.

Welcome to the human race...
The Purge: Anarchy -

Feels like it belongs in the '80s (in a good way).

Pillow Talk (1959)

I wasn't especially looking forward to this movie, and at the very beginning the sitcom look of it did nothing to inspire any hope. It ended up being the typical rom-com that I expected, except it ended up being one of the best I've seen. The cast is stellar, with Doris Day and Rock Hudson as the leads, and Thelma Ritter and Tony Randall as the supporting players. This isn't anywhere close to a musical, but there were a couple of brief musical interludes that I thought were awesome. The character's chemistry and dialogue were very good, and this turned out to be a real fun movie and a nice surprise.

Master of My Domain
Hail Caesar! (Ethan & Joel Coen, 2016)

Ethan: Hey Joel, it's been quite a while since we've made a movie, right?
Joel: Yeah, but I don't know, I kinda want to go easy a bit this time around.
Ethan: Me too, that's why I have a script idea that involves 50s Hollywood and commie comedy - the stuff critics love.
Joel: Great idea bro!

+

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Who'll Stop the Rain (1978)
+
Plenty of recognizable faces. Decent soundtrack. Cool vintage cars. No seat belts. Sipping beer behind the wheel. Plenty of action and drugs. No complaints.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Pillow Talk (1959)

I wasn't especially looking forward to this movie, and at the very beginning the sitcom look of it did nothing to inspire any hope. It ended up being the typical rom-com that I expected, except it ended up being one of the best I've seen. The cast is stellar, with Doris Day and Rock Hudson as the leads, and Thelma Ritter and Tony Randall as the supporting players. This isn't anywhere close to a musical, but there were a couple of brief musical interludes that I thought were awesome. The character's chemistry and dialogue were very good, and this turned out to be a real fun movie and a nice surprise.

I'm glad you liked Pillow Talk. It's one of my favorite rom-coms.

LIGHTS OUT
(2016)

Lights Out is an entertaining and decent horror film that is inspired by a short 2-minute film that went viral on social media a few years ago.

The movie is heavily flawed. The acting performances are mediocre at best. The script is shamelessly filled with clichés.

In conclusion, the movie is nothing really special -as a matter of fact it is overrated considering the high score it received on Rotten Tomatoes- but it still made for a fun hour-and-a-half at the movies.

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Forbidden Games (1952)

+

From the Ebert list, a little girl loses her parents and puppy as the Germans bomb France. She meets a little boy who brings her home to his family with problems of their own. A lot of this movie is how children deal with tragic circumstances by being children. It is a sweet movie, but also extremely upsetting, especially in the beginning.

I thought this film did a fantastic job capturing the atmosphere of quiet intimacy in the relationships between family members (mother and son, mother and daughter, father and daughter) as they process and deal with the consequences of a hostage situation. It all just felt very relatable and real to me. I liked how the film avoided being trapped in a usual violence-driven narrative - they could have brought the bad guy back toward the end to pile on the terror but they didn't. Instead, they opted to focus on the psychological aspect of dealing with a traumatic situation, and did it exceptionally well.

The Fly

I watched this film loads as a kid and not seen it for a few years so I watched it again, just a fantastic inventive movie, one that makes you recoil but also think, there's a lot more to this film than a man turning into a fly, it is as great today as always and the special effects are superb, much better because what you are seeing is real, not computer generated (have we really advanced?) when I saw brundle become a fly I think not because it looked better 20 years ago than a lot of it does today.. much much better... daring, bold and original

I also recommend the original.. though a different type of movie, it's also good (BUT PLEASE NO MORE)

Richard III (1955)

Almost 3 hours of boredom. I only rate it so high to give it the benefit of the doubt. Most of the movie takes place indoors preventing any kind of awe-inspiring beauty. When we do go outside, there's nothing nice to look at. I'm not a Shakespeare fan and this movie was not for me.

David O. Selznick presents Rebecca, produced by David O. Selznick, directed by David O. Selznick, music created by David O. Selznick, executive producer David O.

Rebecca was an turning point in Hitchcock's filmography. Sometime around 1940, David O. Selznick went to England for toffee and came back with a great lump of a director and he was like 'make this lame best-seller into a film'. Unfortunately, as we all know, Selznick was the second worst Hollywood producer of all time, whose job is to efface the signature of the director and he created an MGM film instead of a Hitchcock film.

The monotonous story unfolds pretty quickly at first, and then very slowly. As far as the acting goes, if this film didn't have Olivier it would have nothing, the new Mrs. de Winter is played by Joan Fontaine (who I hate), there's also a sinister housekeeper who gives off a real Lewinsky vibe but in the end not much comes of her.

All that being said the cinematography was good and there were a few interesting superficial similarities to Kane. Particularly the final scene, which is probably the only Hitchcock ending to take itself seriously.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…

Some people would have you believe this movie is a dumpster fire on wheels rolling down a hill towards a crowded playground. It is far from it, in fact I found it quite enjoyable.

Tasked with a film about the two most iconic heroes, Snyder did a commendable job. Is it perfect? No. Then again, Snyder sits at the Hollywood High lunch table with Michael Bay in terms of public sentiment. Throw in the hyper-fanboys that believe they have ownership of these characters and it is easy to see how the backlash got rolling.

Snyder knows how to film action, that can't be denied. Being critical of this movie is an option, but I have better things to do today.