Anyone know of good Naval movies like Master and Commander?

Tools    

Not Pirates of the Caribbean though haha

Das Boot is great if you've got like, 4 hours to kill. Though whether or not it's the type of movie you're looking for will depend on if you want a naval film set on the high seas, or if it's okay to be under them, haha.

Try any of the three Mutiny on the Bounty movies. A good part of the movie is set aboard a 19th century masked sailing ship with the same type of British Naval command structure (and there forth conflict, rebellion and punishment). There good movies too.

Das Boot is great if you've got like, 4 hours to kill. Though whether or not it's the type of movie you're looking for will depend on if you want a naval film set on the high seas, or if it's okay to be under them, haha.
4 hours?! Its 2 1/2 hours. Even for a film from 1981 its the most intense naval movie Ive ever seen.

4 hours?! Its 2 1/2 hours. Even for a film from 1981 its the most intense naval movie Ive ever seen.
Oh, I thought the shortest version was 3 hours. I've only seen two versions; one is 3 hours 30min and the other is about 4 hours. The only DVD I've seen around is the 3 hour one, and that's the version that was on Canadian Netflix last time I saw it listed there.

Not Pirates of the Caribbean though haha
Damn the Defiant!

Moby Dick obviously.

The Cruel Sea's a belter as well, but I'm assuming we're on about seafarers from before the twentieth century.

It's hard to know what element of Master and Commander the OP liked? If it's movies about sailing the open sea on masked sailing ships, there's lot of classic pirate movies that are actually pretty good.

Actually although it was never as good as Sharpe, set in the same period, the series of Hornblower was a decent go at the stories on the small screen. It was interesting to see Gregory Peck playing him in the film mentioned above, as Ioan Gruffudd had that same kind of earnestness and integrity.

It's hard to know what element of Master and Commander the OP liked? If it's movies about sailing the open sea on masked sailing ships, there's lot of classic pirate movies that are actually pretty good.
I liked the cat and mouse aspect of the battle with the French ship. I thought that was done very well.

Yup agreed, I loved Master and Commander. Really a good and underrated film.
Yeah, it's a shame when these franchises just end up not being picked up for sequels. It was worthy of a continuation.

Skewing genres a bit I will throw in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1997) which I particularly liked because of the non-'steampunk' approach to the design. That set the Nautilus's technology aside from the sailing ships on the surface. And Ben Cross was great as Captain Nemo.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
You should keep an eye out for the movie Pirate Latitude, it's still in the development stage. I read the Michael Crichton book that the movie is based on and it's a very serious pirate movie, not like the Pirates of the Caribbean CRAP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_Latitudes

Oh, I thought the shortest version was 3 hours. I've only seen two versions; one is 3 hours 30min and the other is about 4 hours. The only DVD I've seen around is the 3 hour one, and that's the version that was on Canadian Netflix last time I saw it listed there.
IMDb has it at 2 1/2 hrs, I think thats how long it was when I watched it all the way back in the days of "Blockbuster Video".

To those that havent seen it, Das Boot (1981) is based on a true story of a german submarine during World War II. The most dangerous german submarine of them all. They were sought after relentlessly by the Allies, and you quickly forget whose side theyre on as the onslaught of helpless claustrophobic terror comes at you over, and over again in scene after scene.

This was Wolfgang Petersons film which got him on the map as a director, and deservedly so. He showed how absolutely tiny those old submarines were in comparison to subs today, or even 30 years ago. It was a metal box underwater, there was no such thing as space or room. You have to see it to truly understand, but Das Boot is a
, without a doubt.