The MoFo Top 100 Documentaries Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It's funny how people who praise Triumph of the Will keep on saying something along the lines: "It's a great film, but I'm not a Nazi! I'm not a Nazi! I'M NOT A NAZI, REALLY, BELIEVE ME. I ONLY LIKE THIS FILM, BUT I'M NOT A NAZI". Should people who enjoy Eisenstein films keep on saying: "I'M NOT A COMMIE! I SWEAR! I'M NOT A COMMIE!"?

The People's Republic of Clogher
The story so far...

1. Capturing The Friedmans #59
2. Salesman #80
3. Definite
4. Little Dieter Needs To Fly #71
5. Roger & Me #66
6. Possible
7. Definite
8. Definitely not
9. Burden of Dreams #75
10. Definite
11. Definite
12. Definite
13. The Last Waltz #47
14. My Best Fiend #55
15. Possible
16. Aileen: The Life And Death Of A Serial Killer #75
17. Possible
18. Definitely not
19. Probable
20. Probably not
21. Probable
22. Probably not
23. Definite
24. Probably not
25. Brother's Keeper #78

I saw Triumph Of The Will in film class. It has some wonderful visuals but, after a while, I remember feeling that I was watching something 'great' and historic rather than something I was interested in..

I've not seen Gimme Shelter and don't really care to.

Master of My Domain
My List so Far:

1. If this film make the list I will throw a party for all MoFos
2. Nah
3. Probably
4. Hmmmm
5. No Chance
6. Might make it
7. Not sure
8. Might make it
9. Nope
10. Nah

Btw, I adore Battleship Potemkin, but I swear I'm not a commie.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
For anybody interested in Riefenstahl works, I'd recommend her pre-Triumph of the Will documentary Victory of the Faith. It's not as striking as the 'sequel', but pretty interesting, too.

If you'd like to see Riefenstahl at the other side of camera, I recommend The White Hell of Pitz Palu, one of the best examples of then immensely popular 'berg films'.

It's funny how people who praise Triumph of the Will keep on saying something along the lines: "It's a great film, but I'm not a Nazi! I'm not a Nazi! I'M NOT A NAZI, REALLY, BELIEVE ME. I ONLY LIKE THIS FILM, BUT I'M NOT A NAZI". Should people who enjoy Eisenstein films keep on saying: "I'M NOT A COMMIE! I SWEAR! I'M NOT A COMMIE!"?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

There's a difference...

Cocaine Cowboys is definitely my kind of show, and it was my #9.

My list-

1. Gimme Shelter #45
2. Hearts and Minds #64
9. Cocaine Cowboys #43
13. West of Memphis #69
14. The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness #62
15. Beauty Day #54
19. Last Train Home #56
25. Pumping Iron #53

Haven't seen Senna yet.

Cocaine Cowboys was one of in not my very last cut, i first watched it when i was 16 or something after watching Narcos last year i watched it again and still loved it, i just loved the fast paced John Roberts storytelling coupled with the 80s Scarface-esque feel of it all (even though i hate Scarface). A lot of what Roberts said is highly questionable like the Ochoas especially the father Fabio who was never shown to have been involved with the Drug Cartels being the real powers behind the Medellin Cartel. Usually this sort of thing turns me off but i don't even care here the guy is just so entertaining.

Senna is a very powerful, moving, and entertaining documenatry. I'm not at all and F1 fan- No dislike just never followed-but Senna is inspiring. Number 15 on my list

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I liked Senna and borderline loved Cocaine Cowboys. The latter was #19 on my list. It moves like a runaway train and is full of descriptions of horrific violence, so it never lets go of your throat.

My List:
8. Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures
10. My Best Fiend
19. Cocaine Cowboys
22. Dogtown and Z-Boys
25. 5 Broken Cameras (1-pointer)
Seen 58/58

The People's Republic of Clogher
Saw both not long ago in preparation for this but they didn't make my list.

I own Senna but the thing which stops it moving from decent to good in my eyes is the way it tries to paint Prost as some sort of villain. There's a fantastic narrative to the true story without having to go round inventing one.

I've been a F1 fan for most of my years and while I liked and enjoy Senna, it doesn't gel with me to the point I love it. I'd certainly recommend it to others, though, whether fans of F1 or not.

Cocaine Cowboys was my #9. I have Scarface (the proper one, not that boring 30's thing ) in my top 100 and having just recently purchased seasons 1 & 2 of Miami Vice, this really is up my street. I loved it from the off. Like mark said, it gets hold of you from the get go and doesn't let go. Although I haven't, I'm sure it's the kind of documentary I could watch again and again without any trouble.