Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Le Trou
+

A trou masterpiece.

Best prison movie, like ever. Any other answer is literally invalid.
I don't want to get on your case at Christmas but come on man. There is only one answer to best prison movie ever. Le Trou is good though.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?

Always liked Vinnie Jones, he just seems to make everything so much more entertaining. Good shoot em up, a few plots that all tie up in the end, and a good brawl between Englishmen and Lithuanians.

7.5/10

I just finished watching Bad Santa at my sister's house. Its a Christmas thing for her and her husband... my nephews were there too.... I wont rate it because well to me.. its not so great.

I just finished watching Bad Santa at my sister's house. Its a Christmas thing for her and her husband... my nephews were there too.... I wont rate it because well to me.. its not so great.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
When Jews Were Funny - Not Alan Zweig's best.. The Jewish comics that were shown weren't funny, not one of them. Mort Sahl revolutionized comedy, but isn't mentioned at all, even though a lot of those guys might have been influenced, but Mort is his own man, and at 88, still going strong. I'm going to see him again in SF in two weeks!

I would check Zweig's other documentaries. He's very inquiring, and he puts a mirror to himself. "I, Curmudgeon" "Vinyl" and "15 Reasons To Live" are my favorites.

Queen of Earth (2015)

I could kill you right now and no one would ever know.

Mental illness is a terror as potent as any evil spirit when put in the right hands. Alex Ross Perry happens to agree, taking the Kubrick challenge by setting his manic horror in a brightly lit vacation getaway. While there aren't any axe murderers or elevators full of blood, Queen of Earth is a masterclass in sustaining a level of tension that average genre horrors should be jealous of. A noise can startle, but a stretch of silence can exhaust you. A killing is brutal, but the threat of a killing is torturous. Restraint is a virtue.

http://boxd.it/7Rzap

It's actually a quite unique Pixar and I'd like to see the studio trying something like this more often, but also as a kind of first time for the studio this had serious issues in terms of pacing and narrative exposition. Relationships growing too fastly, stretched scenes, characters that are too simple and basic to carry a long story... The thing is that this movie actually has merit, it makes a good use of silence and visual narration, and a few scenes prove that it can be as memorable as the best Pixars (circles in the sand...) with a little more focused effort. Sadly, this ends up being more of an unpolished gem; irregular and sloppy, enjoyable and rewarding nonetheless.
You are still alive!

You should put those kind of posts in the animation review thread.

Yeah just don't believe everything they tell you in this movie. For example you cannot start a fire using ice as a magnifying glass. As the sun's rays pass through the ice they'll melt the ice before it starts any fire. It's full of ********.
But you can though.

The Revenant (2015)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Welcome to the human race...
Spy -

You can't tell me that Kingsman is a better spy comedy than this movie.

Queen of Earth (2015)

I could kill you right now and no one would ever know.

Mental illness is a terror as potent as any evil spirit when put in the right hands. Alex Ross Perry happens to agree, taking the Kubrick challenge by setting his manic horror in a brightly lit vacation getaway. While there aren't any axe murderers or elevators full of blood, Queen of Earth is a masterclass in sustaining a level of tension that average genre horrors should be jealous of. A noise can startle, but a stretch of silence can exhaust you. A killing is brutal, but the threat of a killing is torturous. Restraint is a virtue.

http://boxd.it/7Rzap
Sold.

Game Of Thrones - Season 1
David Benioff, D.B. Weiss
Not a movie, but I just finished watching the season 1 of the famous series that is Game Of Thrones. Even if it's a TV Show, a lot of movies should be jealous of Game Of Thrones, or atleast its first season, because it does a lot of things right over the span of 10 hours that some movies can't do in 1h30. The story is thrilling, captivating and original, and full of unexpected moments. The actors are great, and the characters' development is on point. The special effects and the landscapes are astonishing, making the first season of Game Of Thrones a must-watch. I am definitely hooked.

Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession (2004)

+

This is a documentary that spotlights a very early cable TV channel, one that came before HBO, Showtime, and the like. It was a Los Angeles based station that used to show a great mix of foreign, art, Hollywood, and Grindhouse type films. It also spotlights the station's Chief Programmer, Jerry Harvey. It is told at the very beginning of the film that Harvey would come to murder his wife and commit suicide. My thought is that if they left this information for the tail end of the film, it may have had more dramatic impact. This movie has a lot of good commentary about Harvey and the station from various industry types ranging from Robert Altman to Quentin Tarantino to Jacqueline Bisset. Many clips are shown from a wide variety of films, with a couple getting added to my watchlist. I thought it was a pretty good documentary.

Master of My Domain

Seeing The Who's definitive album getting moved song-by-song to the big screen is somewhat joyful, but that's pretty much it. Tommy isn't my favorite The Who album because I find the plot to be a bit forced and flimsy, and the movie doesn't try to solve any of that. And there isn't the magic of you listening to the album and imagining the characters and situations by yourself. This isn't a complaint, since what I just wrote is obvious. I'm just pointing out that there isn't a major reason to see this movie, even if you are a huge fan of The Who, other than to see the band members and Eric Clapton and Elton John. Keith Moon is the best actor out all those people I mentioned btw. Rest are mediocre, but what this film needed isn't good performances anyways,

Completely agree with you on Tommy there Gatsby, coincidentally i watched it 2 days ago so i found it funny when you posted it on the movie you're watching tonight thread. Wouldn't say i'm a huge fan of The Who but i like them enough that i was looking forward to this and felt slightly let down. I actually only ended up watching it because i heard the opening to a CSI episode (Who Are You?) and worked my way from listening to The Who to watching Tommy

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Okay, so a friend of mine *loves* this movie and we sat down and watched it. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Sure, I didn't love it or anything but it turned out to be a fun sonuvabitch of a movie.