Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Well, my memories of this weren't too fond, mainly because my sister used to watch it all the time with an annoyed eight-year-old me next to her on the couch, but it was on cable, nothing else was on, and somehow I got over it and actually managed to enjoy it this time around. Guess my sister wasn't as wrong about this one as I used to think she was.

Watched The Rounders (1965), a real surprise for me. It's just a leisurely but completely side-slapping movie about modern-day cowboys who end up working for the same tightwad boss (Chill Wills) every roundup season, but keep coming back. The two cowboys are Glenn Ford and Henry Fonda and they hire on to break horses and they do, except for one roan, who is the most obstinate creature on earth. Despite the powerhouse pairing of Ford and Fonda, the horse is the star of the film. Seriously. One moment you think he's going to let Ford break him, then just as suddenly Ford is lying on the ground or in the mud. The horse allows Ford to ride him for a while in order to round up stray cattle but then the horse suddenly decides he's going to run Ford through some low-hanging branches. And so on.

Ford and Fonda are tired of putting up with the roan and equally as tired of working for Wills, so Ford comes up with an idea to get this "won't be rode" horse to make them loads of money. But, it's almost as if the horse can read their minds. Sure, they meet up with friends along the way, and almost pair up with a couple of ditzy blondes, but their story with the hilarious horse is the whole thrust of the movie. I highly recommend this film.

Goosebumps (2015)

meh nothing special. Pretty cliche in many regards. Except the whole Stine's daughter thing which I found interesting but also left me with more questions I won't get into spoilers but some stuff could of been explained much better imo. Not as bad as I thought it was gonna be though. Jack Black sounds like he is trying to talk like Peter Dinklage (If you've ever heard Peter's regular American Accent it is so similar it isn't even funny, okay it kind of is) in the movie but you get use to it quick. Jack actually isn't terrible and was the best part of the movie for me.

Be a freak, like me too

I've seen The Red Shoes for the second time. I had the feeling to rediscover him. I have no words, it's a such amazing movie!

The Fly (1958)

With: David Hedison, Patricia Owens, Vincent Price

decided to watch it after Citizen gave it such rating

I agree with him, it was a great movie, also I wanna point out that, it could have been over in half an hour, instead of an hour and a half, but that's the thing of this movie, while some movies drag way too long with useless things, this one didn't, and the few scenes that were way too long were good, there are movies in which you want to see the ending, and some in which you enjoy the path to the ending. Which was this case

9/10

Apur Sansar (1959)

+

The final installment of this wonderful trilogy follows the protagonist into adulthood, where the highs and lows continue to take turns making their marks. I did think there was a little bit of emotion left on the table in this movie, but there's still plenty to go around. I loved the whole trilogy and this is how I'd rank them-

1. Pather Panchali
2. Apur Sansar
3. Aparajito

I've seen The Red Shoes for the second time. I had the feeling to rediscover him. I have no words, it's a such amazing movie!
A big rep for The Red Shoes, that's a film that Martin Scorsese says influenced and inspired him. I loved that one, I need to see it again sometime.

The Fly (1958)
With: David Hedison, Patricia Owens, Vincent Price
decided to watch it after Citizen gave it such rating
I agree with him, it was a great movie, also I wanna point out that, it could have been over in half an hour, instead of an hour and a half, but that's the thing of this movie, while some movies drag way too long with useless things, this one didn't, and the few scenes that were way too long were good, there are movies in which you want to see the ending, and some in which you enjoy the path to the ending. Which was this case
9/10
Hey Tenshi, thanks! for watching a film that I recommended/reviewed, it's rare when it happens but I'm so glad to hear that I connected to a movie that someone else also enjoyed.

American Splendor (2003)
I have no idea what the hell this was... but it was brilliant!
I think I'll check that one out! All I need to know is it's a Sundance selection and it has Paul Giamatti and you found it brilliant....so I will add that to my watch list.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Johnny Got His Gun - 9/10

Wow!

One of the best written films I ever saw. Some real funny parts too. A tiny lull after about an hour, otherwise it would have got a 10. Very original and creative. I never heard of this movie until Mort Sahl mentioned it on his streaming show last week. I had it for a while, then saw in the "Most depressing/cynical films" thread that Gabrielle had mentioned it with one of my favs "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?"

I'm wondering why I never heard of it, and why it's never even mentioned among great movies. I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that Dalton Trumbo was a Communist, and a member of the "Hollywood 10" which will always remain a stain in America.

I'm very curious about the film "Trumbo" coming out. I think it's perfect Bryan Cranston is in it, since so many people will see it with the taste of meth (Breaking Bad) in their mouth. I just hope they don't run away from the substance. Please no diversions!

Very original, just amazing film about war, humanity, purpose, and the dirty business of war and the system in general.

P.S. - I find it interesting that M*A*S*H was right before this, and similar in ways. Anti-war movie, using some satire, both written by the Hollywood Blacklisted 10, and both having Donald Sutherland.
I love this movie but it takes several years (minimum) to watch it again due to the sadness it brings forth.
Truly excellent movie I've seen about 7 or 8 times in my life and it impacts me every single time.
Anyone who has seen Metallica's "One" music video will see a montage of scenes with severe spoiler alerts - so if you haven't seen it, WATCH THE MOVIE FIRST. Though, regardless, it still will hit you if you already know going in.

Sharkskin Man and the Peach Hip Girl (Japan)
Best way to describe this is an Indie B-movie with over-the-top characters with a retro 60's instrumental soundtrack. Total goofball fun.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas
++ Got my first christmas movie taken care of.
"I feel all warm and toasty inside. . .
and I'm LEAKING."

John Carter (2012)

A film with such great franchise potential, thrown into the mud by bad marketing and an extremely huge budget. When the trailers came out they did not excite me for this film (as it must of done to many people), but when I saw it finally after it had come out on DVD I was pleasantly surprised by the film. It is not often a science fiction film these days left me wanting more, and John Carter did that. It is nowhere near a perfect film but it had enough stuff in the movie that kept me engaged and wanting to learn more about the world created.

John Carter (2012)

A film with such great franchise potential, thrown into the mud by bad marketing and an extremely huge budget. When the trailers came out they did not excite me for this film (as it must of done to many people), but when I saw it finally after it had come out on DVD I was pleasantly surprised by the film. It is not often a science fiction film these days left me wanting more, and John Carter did that. It is nowhere near a perfect film but it had enough stuff in the movie that kept me engaged and wanting to learn more about the world created.
Agreed, I actually saw it in theaters and thought it was pretty good. It definitely didn't deserve to be the BO disaster that it was. Pretty unfortunate.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Chicken Little (2005)

Charmless drivel. I found myself wishing I was watching the Minion movie again instead, that's how bad this was.

Chicken Little (2005)

Charmless drivel. I found myself wishing I was watching the Minion movie again instead, that's how bad this was.
I'm nearing it myself in my Disney Classics watchings... I think it's the next one or the one after that. Not looking forward to it.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Catfish (2010)

At first I almost switched this off again because it seemed very staged. But then I thought about the question - just who in this movie is fishing who?
WARNING: "Catfish" spoilers below
Neev is stringing Angela/Megan along just as much as the other way around, in a way.

The whole film is in sign language with no subtitles so had no idea what any character was saying but really you didn't need to, you could follow the film fine and dandy.

Trailer: