The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

L'Avventura desperately needs a rewatch from me but even so, it was my #25. Decent showing so far from my list:

#4 La Jetee
#8 My Night at Maud's
#12 Late Autumn
#15 Seconds
#25 L'Avventura

Another from my list, Inherit the Wind. I think I had it at #16 on my list, but I've mislaid my numbered list and only have my list with the chosen films in front of me---I think I swapped a couple of places in my choices so I'm not quite sure where some of mine came in. The only ones I'm sure of are my #1 and #2 choices and I think they'll make the Top 5 for sure. Still, at this point, I know I'll come out much better than on the animated list.

haven't been keeping up on the comments, but this is how my list looks so far:

1. will likely show up soon
2. top 10
3. top 10
4. soon
5. top 5
6. top 30
7. top 50
8. not showing up
9. top 5
10. top 25
11. top 10
12. top 15
13. probably won't show
14. probably won't show
15. Contempt
16. top 20
17. soon
18. Knife in the Water
19. might show soon, but probably didn't make it
20. soon
21. top 30
22. The Trial
23. soon
24. The Swimmer
25. Murder à la Mod

haven't seen a lot of the ones that didn't make my list, but for the ones i have seen:

Fail-Safe was probably top 30 or 35.

we watched Oliver! in sixth grade music class and i hated it but i also like musicals way more now so maybe i would like it better?

Blow-up was fine but i was a little disappointed. still the only Antonioni film i've seen though, so i'm excited for the rest.

The Virgin Spring left me a little cold but it was still good. my fourth favorite Bergman of the five i've seen.

In the Heat of the Night is fantastic and was number 13 on my list. Really loved the uncomfortable chemistry between Poitier and Steiger. I generally like Godard but didn't get around to watching Contempt. I did vote for one of his but looks like it won't make it.

I voted for two Kramer films but Inherit the WInd wasn't one of them. It would be my number five film from him for the decade but is still good. I voted for two Antonioni films also but L'Aventura wasn't one of them. Again, I thought he had four better sixties films also but I still liked it.

My list:

1. Late Autumn
2. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
8. The Human Condition III
13. In the Heat of the Night
17. Red Desert
22. Viridiana
25. Fail-Safe

Seen 30 of 38

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
My list so far:

7. Inherit the Wind
9. Fail-Safe
19. the dirty dozen

Inherit the Wind was my second favourite 60's film from Stanley Kramer and one of the 3 making my list. Guess who's coming to Dinner didn't make it.
The Dirty Dozen is a really epic movie, I'm glad it's here.

I haven't seen most of the films on the list so far, but many of them were on my watchlist and I didn't have time for them.

A system of cells interlinked
In the Heat of the Night was number 18 on my list. I have not seen the other entry!

101. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (4)
97. Seconds

93. Fail Safe

88. Jungle Book

87. From Russia With Love (11)
86. Blow Up

85. Italian Job (19)
84. Cape Fear

77. The Lion in Winter (3)
72. True Grit (23)
66. In the Heat of the Night (21)

5/25 of my films.

The Breakdown...

Onibaba

2nd (24 points), 3rd (23 points), 5th (21 points), 8th (18 points), 2x 17th (18 points), 23rd (3 points), 25th (1 point)

Repulsion

9th (17 points), 3x 11th (45 points), 2x 15th (22 points), 20th (6 points), 21st (5 points), 22nd (4 points), 3x 23rd (9 points), 24th (2 points)

Notes

Both films were the only films to receive their respective amount of points, so no tie breaking was needed.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Onibaba is a very good movie that almost made my list!

Repulsion was among the top 5 of my watchlist and if I had one more week I'd hv watched it! Damn!

I'll use August to watch the ones I didn't see so far! There's a lot of movies I'm very curious about!

I actually haven't seen Repulsion yet, I'm very excited to do so when it happens though. I didn't think Onibaba would make it at this point, haven't seen that either

Wow! Two horror movies today!

I am so glad Onibaba made the cut for cricket's sake. He was bugging me and bugging me to get it watched before the deadline, and I was planning on it, but it just never happened. Looks like it didn't need my help anyway.

Repulsion was one of the last cuts on my list. I love that movie.