2015 MoFo Fantasy Baseball Trading Block

Tools    

Pineda and Keuchel for two Rays closers is just straight up homerin'
The fact that he's a Rays fan probably helped make the trade happen, but I think it was pretty for both sides. I mean, Keuchel had and may still have a sub-1.00 ERA, so he was selling him high, and Pineda had an ERA of 5.00 when the deal went through (though his underlying stats suggested he was much better), but Brad Boxberger is a machine. He mows guys down. Jake McGee, assuming good health in his return, is about as good. So, if he got two top-15 relievers, that's pretty solid, imho.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
How can you assume a guy who hasn't played this year is a top 15 reliever? I assumed Ian Desmond was a top 3 SS and that just wasn't the case

If it was just that trade by itself, then yeah Tim "won", but I made other trades after which balanced things. At least I hope they will., heh heh.

Btw, good job on selling high Mr High Level.

How can you assume a guy who hasn't played this year is a top 15 reliever? I assumed Ian Desmond was a top 3 SS and that just wasn't the case
You have a good point. Based on potential, he's a top 15 reliever, but the health/normal RP volatility concerns made it easier for me to do. But it's very easy to imagine the pair throwing 150 innings of 2.00 ERA ball with 180+ K's.

The trade itself wasn't terrible or anything (I didn't vote against it, or even consider doing so). The issue is with the thought process that produced it.

Extreme example: you can bet your life savings on 31 red, and it's a bad idea, even if you win. Similarly, homer trades are a bad idea, even though they occasionally (even just through coincidence) end up involving reasonable returns. So it's more about discouraging the attitude that produced the trade, knowing that in the future it's going to produce more lopsided deals that muck about with the league's competitive balance.

You have a good point. Based on potential, he's a top 15 reliever, but the health/normal RP volatility concerns made it easier for me to do. But it's very easy to imagine the pair throwing 150 innings of 2.00 ERA ball with 180+ K's.
Worth noting that even their respective career highs in IP, combined, wouldn't reach 150 (it's about 130), and that's without McGee missing the first 6 weeks of the season.

A lot of it comes down to how valuable you think relievers are in this format, a subject on which there is understandable disagreement.

Not wanting history to write Im a complete trading dumbass . It was early in the season to where I could grab a sure earning starter this season off waivers (Salazar, Hammel, and maybe Colby Lewis, maybe). Also the relievers were more of a crapshoot, having horrible ERA blowups. Would I have traded if I wasnt a Rays fan? At first I was gonna say No, but now I say Maybe. They are the best duo next to Betances & Miller, and steady relievers arent as plentiful now that Holds are a category. Again, I also knew I could make up for it with future trades too.

Thinking you can grab a good starter off waivers is a great justification for trading your starters--but that's got nothing to do with how much you get for them.

Not really sure how thinking you can make good deals in the future matters, either--you can be fast enough to start the race late and still win, but why handicap yourself?

Thinking you can grab a good starter off waivers is a great justification for trading your starters--but that's got nothing to do with how much you get for them.

Not really sure how thinking you can make good deals in the future matters, either--you can be fast enough to start the race late and still win, but why handicap yourself?
I needed good relievers, KIimbrel & Cody Allen were faltering, and because I was more sure of getting a good starter off waivers than a good reliever. Im not even 100% yet if Carson Smith & Roberto Osuna are real. Hell, I dont even know who they are.

Worth noting that even their respective career highs in IP, combined, wouldn't reach 150 (it's about 130), and that's without McGee missing the first 6 weeks of the season.

A lot of it comes down to how valuable you think relievers are in this format, a subject on which there is understandable disagreement.
That's true, but their combined K's from their best seasons come out to 194, both of which came last year.

I think relievers are super valuable in this format since no starter can contribute to more than 4 categories, while a reliever can conceivably produce in 5 of them (since we have W's and not QS's). Wade Davis and Dellin Betances were top 100 players in our league last year and that was before we were even playing with holds.

Holliday or Werth available for a SP. Serious offers only please.
Offer sent.

Trade accepted: Lance Lynn for Matt Holliday

I drafted Joaquin Benoit, traded him to Tongo for Lance Lynn, traded Lance Lynn for Matt Holliday.

And meanwhile, Joaquin Benoit is on my team
I was trying to figure out how I got Lance Lynn, figured it was Tongo, looked at his roster, couldn't find anybody I would have given him, knew that didn't answer my question one way or another, and had to review my facebook messages to figure it out.

Some real detective work over here on my part. Like getting your car stolen and knowing it's already made its way to a chop shop.