Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Care for some gopher?
La Vénus ā la fourrure (F/PL, 2013, Roman Polanski) -

Since i love Polanski's "Carnage" and dialogue-driven movies in general, i was really looking forward to this movie. "La Vénus ā la fourrure" is another adaption of a play starring only Emmanuelle Seigner and Mathieu Amalric. I find their performances to be quite brilliant and the whole movie compelling throughout.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Focus (2015)

Ime not normally a big fan of romance movies but this was quite entertaining. Great cast, good story, and some very cool twists throughout the movie makes Focus a pretty good movie. Will Smith back at his best, and Margot Robbie is the sexiest woman alive.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

Vanilla Sky (2001) - 4/10

A traditional movie for me in terms of it having three acts. The first one is riddled with pretentious, unbelievable dialogue. The second is at least interesting although somewhat over engineered. The third uses one of the cheapest and laziest plot devices in cinema and also feels a need to treat the audience as if they are morons. Officially I think it was a tie between Mr. Cruise and myself as to who could pull the most incredulous face during this film with the mask a close third.

Abre Los Ojos is so much better.... Im a huge Amenábar fan....

Little Big Man -

Bad Santa -

Haxan: Witchcraft Through The Ages -

People will probably frown on Bad Santa being (much) higher than the other two. It's just that damn awesome.

Master of My Domain
Shoot the Piano Player (1960)

Very original thriller. Loved the piano music and the combination of genre.

Zero Dark Thirty (2012)

Just now getting to see this. Extremely good movie. As many know, it's about the ten year hunt for Osama Bin Laden, with Jessica Chastain's character being the main driver behind tracking him down. Of course, many people took part in this manhunt and helped the character of Maya (an amalgam of several people, I'm led to believe). Whatever the reality, the movie itself was excellent, with many familiar faces populating the proceedings. We had a full cast of fine actors including Kyle Chandler, Jennifer Ehle, Harold Perrineau. Jason Clarke, Mark Strong (whom I didn't even recognize...maybe because he wore a toupe? ), Mark Duplass, James Gandolfini, Joel Edgerton, and John Barrowman.

But no doubt, it's Chastain's movie and she's great as usual. Katheryn Bigelow does a fine directing job. This could work as a companion piece to Bigelow's The Hurt Locker.

Dead Snow 2: Red vs. Dead (2014)

I didn't like it quite as much as the first, which I thought was more horror than comedy. This is definitely played more for laughs, which is not my preference. It's still very entertaining with great gore effects.

Great movie!

La Vénus ā la fourrure (F/PL, 2013, Roman Polanski) -

Since i love Polanski's "Carnage" and dialogue-driven movies in general, i was really looking forward to this movie. "La Vénus ā la fourrure" is another adaption of a play starring only Emmanuelle Seigner and Mathieu Amalric. I find their performances to be quite brilliant and the whole movie compelling throughout.

Peau d'âne (as known as "Donkey Skin")
(1970, France)
Directed by Jacques Demy
6.5/10

This is one of those surreal fairy tale movies. I couldnt help but thinking of "La Bete" from "La Belle et La Bete" when I heard the King talking. Both characters are played by Jean Marais. Catherine Deneuve looked just like Josette Day as the Princess. I would catergorize this film with Malle's "Black Moon", Jires' "Valerie and Her Week of Wonder" and Cegavske's "Blood Tea and Red String."

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Stand by me (1986)

I love movies that make me feel nostalgic about my childhood! This one is amazing!
A tale about friendship and about the time when everything is so much simpler! Strong perfomances by the 4 kids and a lot of plot depth hidden in each of them!
To watch and rewatch countless times...

Care for some gopher?
Funny Games (A, 1997, Michael Haneke) -

A few years back i watched the 2007 remake, which was also directed by Haneke and which i liked quite a lot. I really "enjoyed" the terror through this passive-aggressive friendliness. So now the original. I think knowing where the movie is headed takes a little bit away from it. This time, i didn't feel as much connected to the victims as i did the first time. Nonetheless, it's a good movie with mostly good acting.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
3 docs (in the last week or so) "The Bad Boys", "I Hate Christian Laettner", and "The Fab 5" - I think these "30 For 30" are the best documentaries on sports. Basketball was my life. I played from early, early morning until dark with only a few breaks. I'd even bring a radio, and work on every part of my game. Isiah Thomas was my first hero (after my short stint with Van Gogh), and when I was 6, I saw my Pistons get robbed, saw the greatest performance in basketball, Isiah Thomas scoring 25 in a pivotal Game 6 when he badly damaged his ankle, got robbed by the phantom foul (it was nice James Worthy acknowledged it wasn't a foul)...

Even though I didn't watch college basketball, The Fab Five was really big in Flint...

The "I Hate Christian Laettner" was also really interesting.

The Adventure Of The Golden Condor with Cornel Wilde & Constance Smith (1953)

It's the story of a French noblemen who loses his title by an evil uncle.

He then ties up with a man who seeks a lost treasure in Guatemala. The nobleman goes to seek the treasure and the two actually find it. However, he falls in love with the partner's wife.

He then takes his treasure back to France to overthrow his evil uncle and pay off many debts as well as use much of the money for good causes.

He returns back to Guatemala and marries the partner's daughter and still has half of the treasure and they live happily ever after.

This is a good adventure yarn and told quite well.

The treasure hunt takes place in the forests and jungles of Guatemala and the photography is really beautiful.

All of the rituals dances and costumes are authentic.

Being photographed in color adds much to the film.

I would rate it 8 out of 10.

It's available on DVD and is worth the watch.

Miss Martha The Movie Buff (that's my reviewers name)

Sexy Beast (2000)

Loved the tone and pacing of the movie. Ray Winstone did a very good job as really likeable ex-con with a happy life, that of-course psychopath Ben Kingsley had to ruin Also, Ian McShane did great job as intimidating crime boss. Story is easy to follow and it would be a simple crime film, possibly even a black comedy crime film, if not for Kingsley's performance. Frightening, weird and awkward, he was just all over the screen. One of the most hated characters in movie history, personally to me. Maybe that's why he got Oscar nod for it, I don't know, but I couldn't even define his performance as great or terrible or good or bad, it was just... disturbing.
Anyway, a movie well worth watching.

Son of a Gun 6/10
Watched this yesterday, it's quite entertaining. Not your typical heist movie.

Looks like I have to add Blue Ruin to my list. Read the synopsis and looks like it may be good.

One thing I love about this site is I get good recommendations on movies I never heard of and probably would not have seen. Thanks!
If you think Blue Ruin sounds interesting maybe you want to check out Cold in July too

Focus (2015)

Ime not normally a big fan of romance movies but this was quite entertaining.
I wouldn't say this is a romance movie but yeah it was entertaining and much better than the critics say it is.

Son of a Gun 6/10
Watched this yesterday, it's quite entertaining. Not your typical heist movie.
Natasha, have you seen, "Dog Day Afternoon?" - it's also not a typical bank robbery (most of which aren't too good), it almost seems like a setting to bring up issues.

Natasha, have you seen, "Dog Day Afternoon?" - it's also not a typical bank robbery (most of which aren't too good), it almost seems like a setting to bring up issues.
Yeah I've seen it a while ago and I loved it... Al Pacino
I need to watch more stuff by Lumet, I've only seen 3 or 4 of his films

Yeah I've seen it a while ago and I loved it... Al Pacino
I need to watch more stuff by Lumet, I've only seen 3 or 4 of his films
What have you seen by him? There's also some I haven't seen of his. Some of my favorite Lumet films would be:
-Network - 10/10
-12 Angry Men - 10/10
-Serpico - 7/10