The Videogames Tab

Tools    

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Doesn't the difficulty of some side quests become ridiculously hard when you move to the next town or area after the first boss fight? I remember taking a quest that led me to a basement where I got absolutely mauled by a mob of ghosts or spirit monsters. I put the game away after that.
I think I know what quest it is, but you must have come unprepared, potions are big part of game, I also didn't use them at the start but more I played more I used them, but yea, sometimes you can get destroyed without warning, it can get a bit frustrating at times, but I love finding a way, you cant just charge and attack head on.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
I think I know what quest it is, but you must have come unprepared, potions are big part of game, I also didn't use potions but more I played more I used them, but yea, sometimes you can get destroyed without warning, it can get a bit frustrating at times, but I love finding a way, you cant just charge and attack head on.
I never liked the idea of buffing with potions and I think I read there were unfair difficulty spikes. I liked what I played mostly so I should get back to it though I'm not a big fan of using the mouse as a controller.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I loved Witcher 1 but comparing it to Skyrim is like comparing an orange to a bottle of juice. Skyrim's an open world blank canvas and The Witcher is a linear, story driven game where you're forced to play as one character. Much like Witcher 2, the first game sags markedly in the middle but, much like Witcher 2, I was digging the world and characters so much I can forgive it that.

VFN - The stick even comes with a headset, but apparently it's a horribly cheap and nasty thing. I'll find out tomorrow.

Skate 2 (360)
Bully (360)
GTA V (360)
Minecraft (PC)
Sims 4 (PC)
Pokemon (3DS)
Advance Warefare (360)

I am a complete geek with quite a wide range of liked games. I am waiting to play destiny, dragons age inquisition and AC: Unity on next gen soon!!

If you're after a 'Like Dark Souls but...' game which is most certainly not a novelty, keep your eyes on Salt and Sanctuary.

Not been keen on previous games from the developer (a husband and wife team) but this one looks special.
Looks a lot like Castlevania to me.

Looks a lot like Castlevania to me.
The developers have said Salt and Sanctuary is an homage to Dark Souls and Castlevania. The Souls games have Vania elements to them anyway.

My name's Bobby Peru, like the country.
Just started playing a little "Path of Exile". I can see myself really getting into this one!

POE is defiantly a good game. The currency/trade system the players have made is robust. You can check out POE currency websites to see what fluxuates, The next day your exalted orb could be worth 30 chaos orbs or 35, depending on player trades

And let me tell you, the skill tree is amazing, i love it - it is vast and you can pretty much combine any class together.

But power in players is not gear oriented, it is skillgem and slot - meaning if you have a 6soc Sword and your skill needs 6 linked skillgems - then that will be alot of expensive rolling to get those sockets linked and to be the right color.

There is no pay to win either, the only micros you can buy is mere cosmetic.

This game requires endless, endless grinding to get what you want, then you gotta grind some more!

Their assumption was that Jerry was already dead when I arrived, and I just nodded my head. What else could I tell them? "He had to do it, Officer, or else he would’ve turned into a worm-monster and been very unhappy."

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
I loved Witcher 1 but comparing it to Skyrim is like comparing an orange to a bottle of juice. Skyrim's an open world blank canvas and The Witcher is a linear, story driven game where you're forced to play as one character. Much like Witcher 2, the first game sags markedly in the middle but, much like Witcher 2, I was digging the world and characters so much I can forgive it that.

VFN - The stick even comes with a headset, but apparently it's a horribly cheap and nasty thing. I'll find out tomorrow.
Didn't want to compare it, but general opinion is that Skyrim is awesome, so saying even better than Skyrim means even more awesome. Just a good game.

Not only is Cities Skylines the best city builder I've played since Sim City 2000, it's also super pretty.

This is my new town. My first one was going so well until I decided to start building tower blocks near landfill sites - People moved in for a year or two then got unhappy and moved out, dragging the land prices down. I then overreached myself financially so had to decommission clinics and police stations to keep my head above water.

It was basically The Wire.

It's official: I just passed one year in-game in The Long Dark.

I celebrated with a little (not especially, but more than usual) reckless exploring for more Old Man's Beard Lichen (and found a bunch, whoo). There really aren't any more milestones anywhere near--400 days is a nice round number, and 500 all the more, but I'm not sure I have the patience for that. I probably have the supplies, though I've realized that scrap metal isn't likely to be my bottleneck resource: it's going to be cloth, IE: bandages.

I'll probably take a series of excursions while I wend my way towards 400+, and then after that do little self-challenges (like stay outside in a fishing shack for a whole week, or something). And if I'm still alive after all that, I'll have to start thinking of an appropriately poetic way to let it end.

The new one's even bigger than the last one!

When the delivery guy was taking the box out of the van I thought someone had bought me a new fridge...

there's a frog in my snake oil
Good christ. You may need an arcade unit to support the weight

---

I snagged 3 months of Gold and tried out the GTA heists on 360...

In many ways my favourite bit was just checking out the content that's been added over the last year. This wee bug was loads of fun...

It can fit down narrow alleys normally the preserve of bikes & peds alone. Great for evading hordes of cops even in the puny vanilla version

Heists themselves are even more bogged down in the standard lobby lull & 'find people who aren't complete morons' malaise than usual. The new cut scenes are all cool, but they do make the process even longer. (People dropping out because you're not skipping the scene, when you can't skip it the first time you play that heist, shows you the kind of thing you're up against here).

When I did manage to get through a few set pieces they were kinda promising though. Lots of potential for insane set pieces and cartoon collaboration, and for things to go horribly wrong of course. Plenty of soft restart points meant failing in a fun way was often fine though. Could definitely do with some non-troll types with mikes to really get the best out of it, but it's got something. That's if they escalate the jobs in the way I think they might.

*EDIT* Also, the money helps... Part of the reason I stopped playing GTA online was, aside from the lack of objective, there was a premium on fun. Every time you fired your weapon, whether in open play or a game-mode, it cost you (in that you'd have to buy the ammo back in most cases. And the more fun the weapon the more costly). It was good in some ways - everyone wasn't just leaving sticky-bombs everywhere, but there was definitely a heist-shaped hole as far as earnings were concerned. Now they're here I'm chucking daft devices about with much more abandon, and saving up for even sillier ones, not to mention thoroughly ludicrous vehicles. (You still have to watch you don't splurge all your cash, but it's more of an enjoyable weather eye rather than a fear you'll have to stop firing your gun at all). Tis better

Good christ. You may need an arcade unit to support the weight
When I rest it on my lap for more than a few minutes it cuts off the blood supply to my legs.

Oh well, now for a few weeks of getting owned by button mashing noobs in SF4 while I gradually remember what in the heck I'm supposed to be doing.

When I rest it on my lap for more than a few minutes it cuts off the blood supply to my legs.

Oh well, now for a few weeks of getting owned by button mashing noobs in SF4 while I gradually remember what in the heck I'm supposed to be doing.
You mean you didn't make an Elite pilot's armrest you could nail it to?

(God I'm looking forward to turning that game on, in like a year and a half, and having an insanely rounded space 'sim' )

I booted it up after the Wings update came out of Beta and lasted less than an hour. Of the 20+ people on my friends list, not one of them was online. Tells you something about the user base...

There's a couple of new ships but they're in the higher price ranges so even less of an incentive for me to play. They need a load of ships in the 1mil creds range to keep the new players, I think.

I booted it up after the Wings update came out of Beta and lasted less than an hour. Of the 20+ people on my friends list, not one of them was online. Tells you something about the user base...

There's a couple of new ships but they're in the higher price ranges so even less of an incentive for me to play. They need a load of ships in the 1mil creds range to keep the new players, I think.
Yeah I've only been back to try and hunt down a Capital ship and test my performance issue for the devs. Buggers are hard to find though. That was pre-Wings but I noticed various little refinements that all added to the tone. I still think there's a very promising quality to the ongoing dev work.

I saw something about a re-balancing coming up (I still check the dev forum tracker regularly ). Non-trade pursuits being made more profitable & ship prices being lowered I think, so they've poss clocked that. In theory fair few ships to come no? (Not sure how near the 25 promised we are, + 5 bonus for backers wasn't it?) Hopefully there'll be some more mid-range ones in there.

Player base could def be an issue over time, but I'd like to think those other ex-regulars are just still burnt out, but keeping their powder dry for at least the first-person expansions, and all the mission / co-op refinements in the meantime.

(Worst comes to worst I reckon I could enjoy it purely offline if need be - the AI is pretty solid. But I reckon people will be back).

I'm def not ready to go back yet though. Needs more world in that universe...

Oo lordy 2K steam sale, and Evolve already going for 25% off :S

Everything I've read suggests it ultimately just doesn't work, even for the time-rich tight-knit teams that could get the best out of it. Shame in many ways.

Interesting to read one of the Kotaku guys big up the Gary'sMod Mod The Hidden as a superior asymmetrical experience. Haven't tried it, but it looks similar to the Murder / TTT versions I have enjoyed. Maybe it's because I don't like the style of 'top down' 3rd person that the monster ends up with in Evolve, but I think I prefer these kind of set ups. In this case a nigh-invisible, wall-hacking, speedy beasty that can stick himself to walls...

---

Think from that sale Bioshock Infinite is the only one titillating me. Lot of you guys seemed to have a good time with - although more for the story stylings than the run-n-gun 'hook' by the sound if it.

Evolve just doesn't look much fun.

My Qanba Q4RAF, on the other hand, is plenty fun. Ended up buying Ultra SF4 for the PS3 as the netcode in the Steam version is kinda sucky with very few people playing who aren't elite level.

As a piece of engineering that stick is impressive - Most console controllers will work on PC in some shape or form but this is the only one I've seen to work on both the old consoles (and PS4 in the future, probably, dunno about Xbone) and PC. Plug it into a PC in 360 mode and it's an X-input controller and will thus work on modern stuff. In PS3 mode it's a D-input pad and compatible with old games.

Knowing me, I'll soon go full eejit and attempt to mod it. I quite fancy having coloured buttons to mirror the Xbox button prompts - Apparently you just buy the switches for a couple of quid each and they snap on with no soldering required.

Apparently...

This is known, by all accounts, as a 'rabbit hole' and I'm standing over it looking down, trying to make myself smaller.

You'll have an Elite wristband controller by 2016, I'm sure of it

A kinda retro Apple watch

*EDIT*

Oh god, or this...